RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

After transmission flush problems arise

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-13, 10:09 AM
tonykriegm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After transmission flush problems arise

I am sorry if this has been dealt with in the forum before. I am a new member. We have bought our 1999 RX300 with 26,000 miles on it and now has 92,000. We have dealt with the same dealer for the past 30,000 miles or so. Anyway, the 90,000 mile service suggests a timing belt change and an "complete engine service" which includes a transmission flush. So since we want to keep the care for another 2-5 year or so I agreed to the complete engine service instead of the routine oil change etc.

We got a call the next day and the dealer said the there are now warning lights about the transmission after the flush probably caused by "plates shedding dirty material". Shouldn't the dealer have warned us about the possiblity of a problem caused by an engine flush. The transmission was working fine before we took it in.

Any recourse thoughts etc would be appreciated. Should we look for a rebuilt trans?
Old 06-14-13, 10:14 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

Should the dealer have advised you, yes. Do they have to advise you? No.

Unfortunately, this doesn't sound good. And, you may be looking at a new transmission.

I'd see if Lexus is willing to help out due to the fact that they didn't warn you of the consequences of doing a transmission flush.

We always advise against a transmission flush, and this is exactly why.
Old 06-14-13, 01:13 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I wonder if the dealer would flush the thing out again to get rid of the "dirty material," hopefully solving your problem. Maybe ask them and see what they say? Both of my vehicles have been flushed without problems, but maybe I was lucky.
Old 06-14-13, 11:51 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by trhs75
I wonder if the dealer would flush the thing out again to get rid of the "dirty material," hopefully solving your problem. Maybe ask them and see what they say? Both of my vehicles have been flushed without problems, but maybe I was lucky.
Maybe you had a "flush" done with a machine that uses the trans. own pump to pump the fluid rthrough rather than a "flush" done by a machine that really stirs things up and causes all the problems. They may both be called a flush, but a world of difference! There is no danger when the fluid is only pumped through with the trans own pump. A shame that the people (like the OP) come here AFTER the horse is out of the barn. To late then.
Old 06-15-13, 12:01 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tonykriegm
I am sorry if this has been dealt with in the forum before. I am a new member. We have bought our 1999 RX300 with 26,000 miles on it and now has 92,000. We have dealt with the same dealer for the past 30,000 miles or so. Anyway, the 90,000 mile service suggests a timing belt change and an "complete engine service" which includes a transmission flush. So since we want to keep the care for another 2-5 year or so I agreed to the complete engine service instead of the routine oil change etc.

We got a call the next day and the dealer said the there are now warning lights about the transmission after the flush probably caused by "plates shedding dirty material". Shouldn't the dealer have warned us about the possiblity of a problem caused by an engine flush. The transmission was working fine before we took it in.

Any recourse thoughts etc would be appreciated. Should we look for a rebuilt trans?
The dealer caused the problem, it should be their responsibility to rectify it! You shouldn't drive in with a perfectly good trans only to be faced with a huge bill because of what THEY recommended (or did on their own to increase their profit). I have serviced many a trans in my life and because AT is one of the highest detergent oils made, you seldom see ANY dirt anywhere but in the pan. The filter is supposed to keep it there! It has no combustion so doesn't have the byproducts of combustion, sludge, carbon, fuel contamination, condensation contamination, etc., etc. I have pulled trans pans with nasty looking fluid (looked like old engine oil) and the metal in the trans was completely clean. Only the pan needed cleaning.
Old 06-15-13, 06:10 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Since Toyota/Lexus specifically say to NEVER use a flush machine, I think the dealer is liable for anything that they do. Lexus would not want to warranty a transmission that the dealer just flushed and ruined, so why should you cover it?
Old 06-15-13, 11:56 AM
LA4Mead
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The dealer offers transmission flush as a profit-generating item because it requires less skill and labor than transmission service. Then, if the transmission does go bad, profit is even higher when they can sell a rebuilt transmission, even if the owner squawks loudly and they offer a "discount" or a large trade-in allowance. It's win-win for the dealer.
That's why I perform a DIY fluid "exchange" similar to what Code 58 and a Ford transmission engineer (from a Ford truck forum) recommend, it's not difficult, just a little messy. Briefly, I drain the pan, drain the differential, refill new fluid, disconnect the cooler return line, have a helper momentarily start and stop the engine long enough to pump under no pressure a quart or so at a time into a gallon container while refilling until I see the new fluid from the cooler return line - about 10-11 quarts for my RX.
I think you need to work with this dealer to repair the transmission. I hope you share your experience with us.
Old 06-15-13, 11:01 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

The dealer offers transmission flush as a profit-generating item because it requires less skill and labor than transmission service.
That's why I perform a DIY fluid "exchange" similar to what Code 58 and a Ford transmission engineer (from a Ford truck forum) recommend, it's not difficult, just a little messy. Briefly, I drain the pan, drain the differential, refill new fluid, disconnect the cooler return line, have a helper momentarily start and stop the engine long enough to pump under no pressure a quart or so at a time into a gallon container while refilling until I see the new fluid from the cooler return line -

That is indeed the only way I ever do it. Only difference is I do it 4 qts. at a time. (that's about what you drain out when you do a pan drain). I can't stand to mix new fluid with old in a pan drain and fill. I loved it when Ford put a drain plug in the converter and you could change it all without the return line disconnect. About 10-12 years ago they eliminated that plug (since no one else had it and it cost money) Now it's a return line disconnect on all of 'em.
Old 06-15-13, 11:04 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Since Toyota/Lexus specifically say to NEVER use a flush machine,I think the dealer is liable for anything that they do. Lexus would not want to warranty a transmission that the dealer just flushed and ruined, so why should you cover it?[/QUOTE]

True words!

Last edited by code58; 06-15-13 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-16-13, 01:26 AM
ididit
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by code58
The dealer offers transmission flush as a profit-generating item because it requires less skill and labor than transmission service.
That's why I perform a DIY fluid "exchange" similar to what Code 58 and a Ford transmission engineer (from a Ford truck forum) recommend, it's not difficult, just a little messy. Briefly, I drain the pan, drain the differential, refill new fluid, disconnect the cooler return line, have a helper momentarily start and stop the engine long enough to pump under no pressure a quart or so at a time into a gallon container while refilling until I see the new fluid from the cooler return line -

That is indeed the only way I ever do it. Only difference is I do it 4 qts. at a time. (that's about what you drain out when you do a pan drain). I can't stand to mix new fluid with old in a pan drain and fill. I loved it when Ford put a drain plug in the converter and you could change it all without the return line disconnect. About 10-12 years ago they eliminated that plug (since no one else had it and it cost money) Now it's a return line disconnect on all of 'em.
Where to find step by step instruction for this DIY fluid exchange? Any link? Thanks.
Old 06-17-13, 01:13 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ididit
Where to find step by step instruction for this DIY fluid exchange? Any link? Thanks.
Ididit, check the "sticky's" at the front (beginning, top) of this forum. You'll find a ton of help there and also use the search tool at the top and just search " do it yourself trans fluid exchange" and you'll find all the help you could ever need. There are slight variations but you'll get the idea.
Old 06-17-13, 08:20 AM
reisjdmd
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when the dash on my ls400 went completely black, i was told it is due to a faulty circuit board. the dealer wanted $800 for the board; an $800 light switch. he told me these have a tendency to fail in cold weather. yikes! i live in wisconsin. anyway, i contacted lexus of north america directly and explained things. they supplied a new board for free, and i have been a loyal customer ever since; am on my third lexus. i suggest you contact lexus of north america directly and explain your situation. personally, i think the dealer messed up, but go try and prove it. costs more to go to court than fixing the transmission problem itself [except maybe small claims court, but that is somewhat iffy].
Old 06-17-13, 05:40 PM
BiggerOkie
Rookie

Long story short....Lexus of Tulsa DOES SUGGEST A FLUSH. When I asked about it, the "advisor" said they do it with a "low pressure" BG machine...not the higher pressure older machines....who knows.....just posting what they told me today
Old 06-17-13, 07:07 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

My dealer told me the filter is not serviceable (Lie #1) and that Lexus recommends a BG Flush with their special additive (Lie's #2 & #3). They also told me that I needed an engine flush before switching to synthetic (Lie #4).

Dealers make up all kinds of crap to sell add on products and services, and Lexus (the car maker) endorses none of it.
Old 06-18-13, 12:59 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by carguy07
My dealer told me the filter is not serviceable (Lie #1) and that Lexus recommends a BG Flush with their special additive (Lie's #2 & #3). They also told me that I needed an engine flush before switching to synthetic (Lie #4).

Dealers make up all kinds of crap to sell add on products and services, and Lexus (the car maker) endorses none of it.
Carguy has told you the truth forum members, you can take it to the bank! I worked for dealers about 2/3 of my career and they were some pretty good ones, not flakes. Having said that, dealers are in business to make money. I can tell you for a fact, often the owner of the dealership knows little or nothing about what decisions are made by his service manager and service writers. As long as the people he's hired to run those departments are making money for him, he stays out of it. I would say in the automotive busines if "liar, liar, pants on fire" were a fact, I'd like to be in the pants business because I think I'd make more money selling 'em new pants than they make on service!

Quick Reply: After transmission flush problems arise