RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Diy valve cover gasket

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-13, 09:35 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Diy valve cover gasket

I got all the parts and gaskets for replacing my old valve cover gaskets, spark plugs & gaskets, Knock sensors, Hose & Harness, bolts, washers, high temp wire loom etc. I will start my project tomorrow and let you know step by step. Here is pictures of my parts and some tools.
Attached Thumbnails Diy valve cover gasket-1.jpg   Diy valve cover gasket-2.jpg   Diy valve cover gasket-3.jpg   Diy valve cover gasket-4.jpg   Diy valve cover gasket-5.jpg  

Old 06-03-13, 09:48 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

I will replace my knock sensors also. So if you do follow the DIY for coolant replacement by LEXMEX. But if you don't wants to replace knock sensors, hose or harness you do not need to empty the coolant. Here is the link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...olant-diy.html
First I will replace the front valve cover gasket, Sparks plugs & gaskets and will give you details with pictures tomorrow.
Then I will follow knock sensors DIY by Salim: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ement-diy.html
Old 06-03-13, 10:22 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,101 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by gazi001
I will replace my knock sensors also. So if you do follow the DIY for coolant replacement by LEXMEX. But if you don't wants to replace knock sensors, hose or harness you do not need to empty the coolant. Here is the link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...olant-diy.html
First I will replace the front valve cover gasket, Sparks plugs & gaskets and will give you details with pictures tomorrow.
Then I will follow knock sensors DIY by Salim: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ement-diy.html

Look the knock sensor DIY.

As you take out the intake you will get to a point where the water jacket will be broken and you dont want coolant enter the fuel-air channels.

I have made comments in there about coolant and recommend draining the coolant.

Salim
Old 06-04-13, 04:47 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Let us know if you ever get to the point, like I did, where you conclude that it would have been better to remove the engine and then combine your project with a change of timing belt and inspection (and perhaps change) of the rear main seal.

PS: I don't see any FIPG.

Last edited by JAB; 06-04-13 at 04:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-04-13, 08:29 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah

As you take out the intake you will get to a point where the water jacket will be broken and you dont want coolant enter the fuel-air channels.

Salim
Yes Salim. I will empty the coolant before remove the IMA, Air Intake & Rear valve cover gasket. Thanks.
Old 06-04-13, 08:31 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah

Salim
Originally Posted by JAB
Let us know if you ever get to the point, like I did, where you conclude that it would have been better to remove the engine and then combine your project with a change of timing belt and inspection (and perhaps change) of the rear main seal.

PS: I don't see any FIPG.
Thanks Jab. I will let you know how far done. But I replaced my Rear Main Seal, Timing belt, pully, water pump 2 years ago. Here is the FIPG.
Attached Thumbnails Diy valve cover gasket-fipg.jpg  
Old 06-04-13, 09:42 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

You bought all new bolts and all! Best of luck to you. It would take me a few days to complete something like this as I am a perfectionist and would be taking my time.
Old 06-04-13, 09:48 AM
JAB
Instructor

Think long and hard before trying to replace the spark plug tube seals.
Old 06-04-13, 11:40 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Did you replace the spark plugs seal?
Old 06-04-13, 12:18 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

It is better idea to empty the coolant first. Look the red arrow is upper radiator hose and there is one bolt of front valve cover under it. It will be very easy if the hose removed.
Attached Thumbnails Diy valve cover gasket-photo.jpg  
Old 06-04-13, 03:40 PM
JAB
Instructor

Did I replace the spark plug tube seals? After 210K miles mine were fused to the valve cover and at the same time very brittle. I spent hours on one and decided to leave the rest alone. I'm still in the midst of the project. I may buy a new rear valve cover in order to get the newer better mounting for the PCV valve which will have the added benefit of new spark plug tube seals..
Old 06-04-13, 09:10 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

I could not start my work today but will go on very soon.
Old 06-05-13, 11:27 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,101 Likes on 991 Posts

Only advice I have is try to do in stages.

Any thing that does not need to be combined should be done by itself and tested at the end before proceeding to the next task.

This keeps debug to the minimum.

Salim
Old 06-05-13, 11:51 AM
JAB
Instructor

I'm thinking of buying the new and improved rear valve cover now that I have the old one out. Any suggestions as to where to go for best price? TIA.
Old 06-05-13, 04:55 PM
JAB
Instructor

I went to the dealer parts department and asked about the 'new' rear valve cover for my 1999 RX300. I asked whether p/n 11201-0A060 (suggested by another poster) would (1) fit my vehicle, (2) incorporate the 'improved' PCV valve fitting, and (3) include the spark plug tube seals pre-installed. I was assured that the answer is 'yes' to all three questions. However, if I go to one of the on-line parts vendors and enter my VIN for the p/n it says 'will not fit your vehicle.' Can anyone confirm one way or the other? TIA.

Quick Reply: Diy valve cover gasket