RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Please help...I need to proper steps in order to reprogram my ecm. Can anyone help me

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-18, 04:09 AM
hydromatic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help...I need to proper steps in order to reprogram my ecm. Can anyone help me

Please help me. I need the proper steps to reprogram my ecm. B.T.W. my keys have already been done.
Old 12-04-18, 05:32 AM
Mauser
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by hydromatic
Please help me. I need the proper steps to reprogram my ecm. B.T.W. my keys have already been done.
Is it a new ecu? Should be plug and play.

​​​​​​Here is a video I made regestering keys on a lx470. Same process for the rx, just use your security light.

https://youtu.be/iPhoQF_Qcfg
Old 12-04-18, 06:42 AM
hydromatic
Driver School Candidate

Default Ecm???

I just installed a refurbished ECM in my 2000 Lexus RX300. I've had the keys done, they've been flashed and they start the car and everything works accordingly. However, I've done this before trying to fix this issue with my transmission not shifting right after needing to replace my ECM. I need to know what the proper steps are in order to reprogram my ECM. I've heard it something such as turn the car on turn it off, turn the left turn signal on, turn the car back off, turn the right turn signal on turn the car back off, excetera excetera I know it's something that seems rather hokie but I also know that it's something that I need to do. So rather than dealing with all this rigmarole I would much rather just try this since I've tried everything else. Please, can somebody help me I've been searching for days trying to find this programming sequence that needs to be done, and I used to have it printed out, however, I lost it. Does anybody out there know what the process is? Thank you in advance for any help that anybody is able to give me. And have a nice day.
Old 12-05-18, 04:34 AM
Mauser
Pit Crew

If you have access to Techstream you can easily reset the learned values for the transmission without all the key turning and door locking.
Old 12-05-18, 05:15 PM
hydromatic
Driver School Candidate

What is Techstream? Is it something I have to pay for or is it something that is available online?
Old 12-05-18, 05:45 PM
hydromatic
Driver School Candidate

Wink Retrain the brain.

Okay, I am desperate!! I need to get this car up and going A.S.A.P. I have been told that I need to retrain the brain...teach my ECM/ECU/Computer how to drive the car again. I've done this once before where I replaced the ECM?ECU/Computer and tried to drive away into the sunset. Much to my surprise I did not get very far! The car did okay for the first few miles and that rather abruptly it did not do okay. It would not shift, or idle right, or behave in any way like the amazing 2000 Lexus RX300 that I had been driving. Back to the drawing board. I have replaced the "brain" and had my keys redone to match the brain and the car starts and seems to be okay. However, after last time I am not about to drive it until I do the retraining of the brain. This is where all of you or anyone could really help me out. What are the proper steps that need to done in order to retrain the "brain"? I know that it is something like, start the car, turn it off, turn the key but don't start it, hit the brakes 3 times, start the car, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera, it sounds hokie but it apparently works. PLEASE HELP ME! Any ideas, suggestions, or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to anyone that knows the answer I seek and is willing to post it. Happy Holidays!
Old 12-06-18, 05:15 AM
Mauser
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hydromatic
What is Techstream? Is it something I have to pay for or is it something that is available online?
It is the diagnostic software from Toyota. You can get a cable and the software from Amazon or Ebay for about 35 bucks.
Old 12-06-18, 07:02 AM
EZCarKeys
Former Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Disconnecting power resets the ECU, it needs to relearn the TPS after that and can have a low idle, stall out completely, or a few other issues until it's relearned. It really just needs to run a while to relearn. Start it up and let it idle in your driveway for about 10 minutes, if it won't idle and dies, you can try depressing the accelerator pedal to about 1500 RPM for a couple minutes, then letting it idle for 10 minutes. Using a scan tool gives technicians a way to manually set the TPS, which is faster, if you have that available to you.