RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2001 RX300 blower motors stops

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-13, 12:20 PM
GaRobert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 RX300 blower motors stops

Help. My 2001 RX 300 blower motors stops at times. I have check all fuses, Control Panel shows that I am changing its speed , but nothing happens, There NO fault lights, and the A/C light is on and NOT blinking . the next day it will run fine and then stop again. I have heard to swap the Magnetic Clutch Relay with the horn relay to test. Can any one help
Old 04-14-13, 04:49 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Please use search.

The climate control sends signal to the display and to a controller module.

If you see the bars move as you dial up the fan speed then the ecu is working.

The module then sends appropriate dc-voltage to the blower to control the speed. without actually doing a debug, the suspect is the fan speed control module. If you search, you will find a picture identifying the part.

Salim
Old 04-15-13, 11:41 AM
GaRobert
Driver School Candidate

Salim
thanks for your help, tho I could not find a thread that shows a picture of it, I did find one of your old post in refence to it's location.. I might also first try disconnecting the battery for a few hours...here is your old post

Bob

Intermittent problems are hard to narrow down.

I can only give you some general information ...

The blower has a control module (located near the servos). Please search as I have pointed it out in another thread.

The ecu sends different voltage to the control module and display. You can see the lcd indicate faster or slower speed. The control module then steps down the the +12v to lower voltage and sends it to the blower.

Mine had a hard fail of the control module and it was an easy diagnosis. If you have access to wiring diagram, you can bridge the module and test if blower always works for you at max speed.

Your blower motor can be bad and some times the motors fail to get going as well. There can be a bad connection too.

Happy hunting.

Salim
Old 04-15-13, 01:47 PM
salimshah

Look here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-not-work.html

Salim
Old 04-16-13, 10:55 AM
GaRobert
Driver School Candidate

Smile Fan Speed Control

Hey Salim,, thanks for that great thread,, Its right where you showed it to be. Again today blower worked fine as I was driving for about 1.5 hours , then went out for about 20 secs and came right back on. Should I be looking for a lose wire, relay or some thing like that
Again thanks for your help over the years
Bob
Old 04-16-13, 11:05 AM
salimshah

Loose connections is not typical of Lexus ... unless some one has fiddled with them.

If you can relate the problem with heat, then it can be the controller on the fritz. The back of the controller gets cooled by air flow.

You can monitor the input voltage and output voltage of the controller at the time of failure [can be hard as the problem seems intermittent] but that is the best advice I can give you.

Before I forget, did you clean/replace the cabin air filter. Do that to eliminate physical blockage to the fan.

The controller is expensive $150+ so I would be reluctant to throw a part at the intermittent problem but milage may vary.

Salim
Old 04-17-13, 11:06 AM
GaRobert
Driver School Candidate

Smile Blower Motor fixed

Salim.. Once again thanks for your help. Motor is now working 100%.. Used a DC meter to check power into fan. was ZERO., poking around with my hand. and just touched the right cable connector to the Fan Speed Control,, and power went to 12 volts.. Reconnect cable to fan. Blower working great, touched again the right connector to FSC. fan stopped, found it was a lose connector at the FSC. I might have caused this when I rebuilted the Air Mix Servo some time ago.Its right there at the FSC and I might have somehow touched that connector

Secured all cables , and fan " blower " motor is working 100 %
Old 04-17-13, 07:57 PM
trentagxw
Driver School Candidate

Old 01-24-16, 10:56 AM
rmk9785e
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heater/AC blower stopped working

Recently, the heater/AC blower on my '99 RX300 with 72K miles has stopped working. It had been having increasing symptoms of problems for about 6 months and now it is totally dead. I'm hoping someone can help troubleshoot and share links to possible solutions and documentation.

The climate control turns on, all push buttons work. The fan/blower speed indicator on display is fine and controllable with the ****. The blower does not follow what is displayed.
The blower operation became intermittent about 6 months ago. It would be blowing at the speed indicated and then it would suddenly stop and start.
The same behavior persisted during this winter as well so it is not related specifically to cooling or heating.
There is sometimes a sound like there's some small electrical motor running (like the CD changer loading CD). I know it is not related to the CD changer because I have taken the multi-CD cartridge out buy it has not affected the sound.

How do I troubleshoot whether it is the blower or a control relays or something else?
Where can I find documentation about repair and replacement? There were some old threads with links to the documentation but those don't work anymore.

Thank you.

Last edited by rmk9785e; 01-24-16 at 11:07 AM. Reason: added car mileage
Old 01-24-16, 11:20 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Typically that noise behind the CD player is the mix or the mode servos. There are threads for them.
They do not affect the blower speed but they may affect how the air flow sounds.
Old 01-24-16, 11:47 AM
rmk9785e
Driver

Perhaps those sounds are not relevant and I shouldn't have mentioned them to avoid misdirection. My problem is with the fan speed and not how the air flows. The air was flowing fine when the fan was blowing. Now, it doesn't blow air no matter what the air-flow setting.
Old 01-24-16, 12:22 PM
rmk9785e
Driver

Originally Posted by trentagxw
This link is not working any longer. Is it available at a new location?
Old 01-24-16, 02:56 PM
salimshah

The speed control module is most likely the cause if the blower is dead. You can access the blower motor connector and the speed control module in the foot well area of the front passenger.

The speed control sits in the air duct work to be cooled by the air in the duct. It may take me a while to find the right thread, but that thread is related to air servo (which is the rattle sound you hear in auto .. if you set the mode manually, the servo will stop hunting/changing).

Salim
Old 01-24-16, 08:22 PM
salimshah

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...old-air-4.html
Post #50 ... second picture shows a box with Toyota written on in (color Green). That is the blower control module.

Salim
Old 01-29-16, 04:22 PM
rmk9785e
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
The speed control module is most likely the cause if the blower is dead. You can access the blower motor connector and the speed control module in the foot well area of the front passenger.

The speed control sits in the air duct work to be cooled by the air in the duct. It may take me a while to find the right thread, but that thread is related to air servo (which is the rattle sound you hear in auto .. if you set the mode manually, the servo will stop hunting/changing).
Salim
Thank you for the guidance. Today, the blower started working again for a short while and then it stopped working again. Is there a way for me to run any diagnostics or tests to be certain which module or parts are bad before plunking close to $200 on the speed control module? The only tools I have at my disposal is a multimeter and the AutoTap Express DIY (OBD II to USB tester).
Has anyone tried to diagnose and repair the A/C blower control module itself?

Last edited by rmk9785e; 01-29-16 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 2001 RX300 blower motors stops