RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

P0330 Knock Sensor, 15 min. Hack Repair...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-16, 11:12 AM
fbrk8r
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody knows about the 2005 with different color wires?
Old 07-17-16, 06:06 PM
kkmyadam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bobster999
This is for the people that don't want to pay big money to replace a bad knock sensor. I got the dreaded P0330 code saying the #2 knock sensor circuit was bad. I was driving 46 miles each way to work and had to stop and reset the light before I could there because she went in limp mode and I would lose overdrive. I just had to remove all of the same stuff to replace my leaking valve covers just a couple of months ago. I did not want to do that again. The ecu is looking for a small voltage between a set range to decide if that is normal and won't throw a code as long as it sees that voltage for each sensor. So I decided that since there are 2 sensors, and only one is bad right now, I will just feed both sensors from the good #1 bank sensor and the ecu will be happy. So i cut the wire feeding the #2 sensor and spliced it into the #1 sensor at the ECU. Anyway, it took me 15 mins and NO money to fix it. She drives as good as ever and no more CHECK ENGINE LITE. Im not telling anyone to do it, im just telling you what i did so you do what you will or won't. Don't Hate!
as I understand knock sensor code iwould shows up when the engine is knocking. So how do we know if the code received is because of the bad knock sensor or bad wiring or because engine is knocking. Purpose of knock sensor is to detect knocking of engine. Everywhere in the net I see that if p0330 code is received then knock sensor needs to be replaced. However if the engine is having some issue, then how do we know.
Old 07-17-16, 06:31 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by kkmyadam
as I understand knock sensor code iwould shows up when the engine is knocking. So how do we know if the code received is because of the bad knock sensor or bad wiring or because engine is knocking. Purpose of knock sensor is to detect knocking of engine. Everywhere in the net I see that if p0330 code is received then knock sensor needs to be replaced. However if the engine is having some issue, then how do we know.
All sensor based errors pop up once the signal received is out of normal range. Is it the sensor, wire, connector, engine, ecu are all possible suspect. Dealer has the advantage of expected life and typical failure. They even have equipment like oscilloscope with reference good wave pattern from knock sensor and can debug more accurately. Here on the net, we share our experience and looks like 150k miles or so is the life of the knock sensor. Again most of the time we suggest changing the sensor, but it is not a guaranteed fix (but most likely).

Salim
Old 07-17-16, 06:40 PM
kkmyadam
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the response Salim. Can you let me know what would be approx cost of replacing knock sensors for lexus Rx300 2001 model
Old 07-17-16, 07:24 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by kkmyadam
Thanks for the response Salim. Can you let me know what would be approx cost of replacing knock sensors for lexus Rx300 2001 model
We have a DYI where many contributors have added details.
Parts about 200 and 8hrs of labor. Please call Toyota/Lexus in your area for more accurate estimate. This thread has a hack ... for experimental use.

Salim
Old 07-21-16, 09:36 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had this trouble code popped up after I filled up my gas tank. I used a scanner to reset the code. 250 miles later, the P0330 code popped up again. Can I get rid of this code by driving slow? Also, is it possible to not have the code appear again if I filled up my gas tank with a higher gasoline octane?
Old 07-21-16, 10:00 PM
salimshah

Check the full blow DIY on knock sensor replacement. It will tell you what to expect.

You will eventually be locked out of overdrive.

For starteres, buy a OBdII reader or disconnect battery to clear the code. If they keep coming back, you have to get the repair done. It is not something that you can wish away as most likely atleast one of the sensors or the harness has gone bad.

Salim
Old 07-22-16, 10:31 AM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't find the DIY, link please?
Old 07-22-16, 11:06 AM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by b2884987
I had this trouble code popped up after I filled up my gas tank. I used a scanner to reset the code. 250 miles later, the P0330 code popped up again. Can I get rid of this code by driving slow? Also, is it possible to not have the code appear again if I filled up my gas tank with a higher gasoline octane?
If your engine is truly knocking (i.e. the code is not being thrown due to a bad sensor or wiring), the higher octane gas should help reduce or eliminate the knocking and hopefully the code.
Old 07-23-16, 12:06 PM
aejaz
Rookie

Default Harness Replacement

I had a replaced the two sensors (Knock1 and knock2) with those from an running one (Mechanic did), and still get the Check engine and VSC on, and code P0330
I didnt change the harness at the ECU? is it required,
Am thinking the wire shown in the hack for Knock sensor 2 (Black) maybe bad? Is there an easy way to repalce it? I have the complete harness of ECU (Bunch of wires) from a running Rx300 (from a source who sells the parts from old Lexus cars).
Appreciate any help , some pics or clear pointers can help me bargain with mechanic for the cost if not I myself to do it.
Old 07-23-16, 12:45 PM
salimshah

Hack deals with the wires leading to the ecu.

In the DIY, the harness that needs replacement is the connection that runs from the sensors to the difficult to separate connector.

Salim
Old 07-23-16, 12:48 PM
aejaz
Rookie

Default ECU Harness PIC for knocksensor 2

Attached the pic
Attached Thumbnails P0330 Knock Sensor, 15 min. Hack Repair...-ecuharnessks2.jpg  
Old 07-23-16, 05:34 PM
TomES300
Driver School Candidate

I would be interested in knowing if the bypass could be made at the connector coupling going to the actual knock sensor harness. There appears to be 4 connector points. I assume these are the 2 sensor lines to the 2 individual knock sensors + 2 grounds to shield those wires. QUESTION - can the connector heading back to the ECU be made to temporarily spoof the ECU to thinking that the knock sensors are OK? I wouldn't think shorting the 2 sensor lines would do it. Does it require some resistive, capacitive or inductive add-ins? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-17-16, 07:22 PM
mikemac
Driver School Candidate

I want to do this. However in my harness there isn't a black and clearish white wire, they are both clearish white, 1 of them has red tape marking it, appears in same place as in your pic. red tape marked wire appears in same place as blk wire? Is there a way of verifying? I assume these clearish wires are the knock sensor ones as there are only 2 of this type of wire. Advice?
Old 08-18-16, 05:08 AM
fbrk8r
Driver School Candidate

I finally said screw it and changed the knock sensors and harness. I'm glad I did, because I found a coolant leak from the thermostat housing. Apparently, it was leaking for a long time because the valley was filled with dried up coolant. The job was a real pain in the ***, but it feels good to have it done right.

Quick Reply: P0330 Knock Sensor, 15 min. Hack Repair...