RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

First Gen Rx 300 ......Overpriced Junk !

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-13, 10:00 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by lexina
For people who bought it used, then may be it's a different story. But for people who bought the car new, it is not acceptable for these little things to go out of whack so quickly. The most inferior issue with this car is the door-open indicator. How stupid it is to show a light that there is a door open without indicating which one. Even a 1970 civic can specifically indicate which door is open. I have kids, and I have to often pull the car over, walk around the car to find which door was open to close it. Otherwise, everyone has to open and close each door, and if that didn't work, then pull the car over and close the hatch. What crack were they on to say 'persuit for perfection'. Not to mention many other stupd things. Take Clunking rear brakes for example, dont they know how to fix it or are they trying to rip me off for the warranty work? It took them 4 times to fix it. They spray wd40 in there and call it 'fixed'. Rear brakes have 75-80% left and they suggested me to do brake replacement work.
Lexina:

Your post can be broken into four complaints.

1. Features
2. Premature breakdown of items.
3. Repair work (in and out of warranty).
4. Serviceability [I saw that as post #15]

Features: We are talking about a 14year model. It would be more constructive to discuss the missing features in the latest models. The identification of which door is open irked me a lot too. But then I choose the RX amongst all other SUV in my price range that offered the best (compromise). I have justified the lack of which door is open, is due to which company holds the invention/copy-rights.
Other peeves have been the AWD system and the cabin noise when you lower the back-window.

Premature breakdown: You did not list any, but I agree there are some weak points.

Repair work: That really reflects on the competency (or lack of) of the place of service. Here in CL we recommend that you talk to the service manager if you have to take the vehicle back for the same item. After giving them one chance to address a problem, take your vehicle to another dealership (if possible).

Serviceability: Frankly, Lexus brand is intended for people who 'use' their vehicle, For service, you drive up, take a loaner, drive back in, pay and take your vehicle back. Did you notice that the owner's manual does not explain oil change .. other than take your vehicle for service. There are design, re-use, engine qualification reasons as well. Since we have an SC with ample engine bay access, the filter is still a pain. Oil filter is not so bad, till you do the spark plugs.

You dont have to take my word (as I may sound like a Lexus bigot), but look at the RX300s on the road. There are still so many on the road. Weeks have to go bye, before I can spot a competitors 13-14 yr old SUV.

IS the RX300 the perfect vehicle? certainly NOT. Are there any other 12-14 year SUVs better than RX? You gotto show me.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 02-01-13 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Added serviceablity
Old 02-01-13, 10:15 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by lexina
The oil filter is a scum design on this car. Who is doing it from the top? or how else can you do it from the bottom? They tried to make it hard so they can eliminate diy and hope to increase the service. Little did they forget, it will take them time to do it too; unless they do lousy job that will spill oil all over your engine; or change the oil and skip the filter.
Do it from the top. Get the right tool (I listed one in the DIY section), believe me it is a breeze. You have to wait for the exhaust to cool down.

Lexmex suggests using a filter with a nut on it.

Salim
Old 02-01-13, 10:31 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

You guys that hate this vehicle so much just need to move on and leave us idiot owners to our ignorant bliss.
Old 02-01-13, 10:39 AM
lexina
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Do it from the top. Get the right tool (I listed one in the DIY section), believe me it is a breeze. You have to wait for the exhaust to cool down.

Lexmex suggests using a filter with a nut on it.

Salim
Sorry about the vent. I do appreciate the helps you provide to the forum.

As you know, if you do filter change from the top it will be a mess. Un-screwing the filter is not the issue, either use the cap wrench or k&n filter. I got big arms, but I will deal with that, even so, trying to manouver to get the oil filter out will be a challenge. Since your hand is holding the oil filter botton end, when pulling it out, you will definitely pointing the oil filter down and spill the oil. There is no room to turn the oil filter with one hand under there so that you can always have the oil filter right side up. Doing it from the botton is not any better, with the skid cover needed to be removed first. I can see they have improved many things in rx350, replacing the filter element was a breeze.
Old 02-01-13, 11:27 AM
lexina
Driver

Lexina:

Your post can be broken into four complaints.

1. Features
2. Premature breakdown of items.
3. Repair work (in and out of warranty).
4. Serviceability [I saw that as post #15]

Features: We are talking about a 14year model. It would be more constructive to discuss the missing features in the latest models. The identification of which door is open irked me a lot too. But then I choose the RX amongst all other SUV in my price range that offered the best (compromise). I have justified the lack of which door is open, is due to which company holds the invention/copy-rights.
Other peeves have been the AWD system and the cabin noise when you lower the back-window.

Premature breakdown: You did not list any, but I agree there are some weak points.

Repair work: That really reflects on the competency (or lack of) of the place of service. Here in CL we recommend that you talk to the service manager if you have to take the vehicle back for the same item. After giving them one chance to address a problem, take your vehicle to another dealership (if possible).

Serviceability: Frankly, Lexus brand is intended for people who 'use' their vehicle, For service, you drive up, take a loaner, drive back in, pay and take your vehicle back. Did you notice that the owner's manual does not explain oil change .. other than take your vehicle for service. There are design, re-use, engine qualification reasons as well. Since we have an SC with ample engine bay access, the filter is still a pain. Oil filter is not so bad, till you do the spark plugs.

You dont have to take my word (as I may sound like a Lexus bigot), but look at the RX300s on the road. There are still so many on the road. Weeks have to go bye, before I can spot a competitors 13-14 yr old SUV.

IS the RX300 the perfect vehicle? certainly NOT. Are there any other 12-14 year SUVs better than RX? You gotto show me.

Salim
I can't agree with you more, RX300 is definitely a reliable car, no question.

Off topic, I do understand, you want luxury you pay. But, taking the car in for service, you all should be careful where you are having it in for service. I dont mind to drive the car in and drop it off for service; the problems is the more you have it in for service, the more problem you will get, at least in my case. Once, service is done, I have to go through of what they did, and I dont have time for that. What is the point of paying for the work and not having it done right; not to mention the monkey things they did to the car.
Old 02-01-13, 12:54 PM
salimshah

With apologies to the thread starter ... [this is getting off topic.. I will reply here for continuity and will not continue discussion here ... let some one start a new thread .. I will gladly move the conversation there].

Although the dealership has a large crew, but owners interface with the service writer and as vehicle owner, they hold a big club [survey of the service provided].

Service writer: All are not the same. You have to be willing to find some one who understands you and has a rapport with the service crew ... I like it when the service writer refers to your vehicle as my vehicle and service crew as his people. If you find one, work with him. You may feel that as you are paying for service, you are entitled to lot of things ... you are but keep in mind that you need not take it out on the service writer. I would walk in to the office with the milage on a piece of paper and save the service writer a trip in the heat and cold.

Service survey: I personally feel that Lexus puts too much in scoring high on surveys [because I feel that they come around and jack-up charges for all owners]. In any case, if things are not to your liking, give them a call and say that you are giving them a courtesy call and informing them that xyz was not done to your satisfaction and before you rate them un-satisfactory, you want to give them a chance to fix it.

Do you know that Lexus records your settings and before they hand the keys back the settings are restored for you. Just one of the un-noticed things that they do.

Salim
Old 02-03-13, 08:01 AM
Bobster999
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

I have not found a perfect vehicle yet and never will im sure. For the price of the 1st gen RX, I challenge you to find something even comparable when you consider such as...... looks, drivability, comfort, reliability etc... When you find this mythical beast, please let me know...
Old 02-04-13, 08:00 AM
Dietz
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to say the same about mine when I first got it. I purchased mine off my brother with 110,000 miles on it. I will admit, little things went here and there, but I eventually got it to where I wanted it and maintain it myself. I now have 221000 miles on it and it is running great. I did spent the money on a tune up last spring and Lexus actually offered me $6000 for it on trade in, Not a bad deal for a car that had 192,000 on it back then. I declined the offer cause I did not want a car payment. Prices on repair items can be costly, but you can find deals if you look around.
I am hoping to get another 80k miles out of it.
Old 02-06-13, 05:29 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Here, here. Well said. And for the record, changing the oil and filter on an RX is so friggin simple I could do it in my sleep.
Old 02-07-13, 02:43 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by jbl-1985
Here, here. Well said. And for the record, changing the oil and filter on an RX is so friggin simple I could do it in my sleep.
It's a lot simpler than the 4Runner we have. I have to climb way underneath to reach the bolt and have to really stretch my arm through a narrow area for the filter.
Old 02-07-13, 12:10 PM
lexina
Driver

Talking

No offense....I can do it in sleep too, but when I woke up, it feels wet.....
Old 02-09-13, 08:05 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Sorry to hear...

It's too bad, I hate seeing people waste well over 30k on a new car and be disappointed with it... Oh wait! You spent a fraction of that!

Did you at least have it checked out prior to purchase?

Last edited by kitlz; 02-09-13 at 12:50 PM. Reason: snarky
Old 02-11-13, 05:42 AM
BiggerOkie
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iolmaster
You guys that hate this vehicle so much just need to move on and leave us idiot owners to our ignorant bliss.
ROFL.....Not that my .02 cents matters, but after buying a used 2001 RX300 last year with over 120, 000 miles on it, we invested in a new water pump, timing belt, plugs, cam seal, crank seal and other small things. Sure, it had a small existing problem but we did all of this work BECAUSE OF THE ADVICE OF THIS FORUM(especially CODE58). We feel our RX is solid. This forum has been nothing but a blessing. After posting problems, I get flooded with replies. I am sorry your experience has been a bad one, but we are very satisfied with our vehicle and this website. Thx to EVERYONE who has helped(again, especially CODE58!!!)

David
Old 02-11-13, 06:21 AM
BearsLexus
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Lexina, You are so right about the lousy placement of the oil filter... ug, what a crappy place for that! ridiculous! Oh well, we do that which needs doing.
Old 02-15-13, 07:23 PM
Ramblemutt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, purchased my 2000 three months ago. My antenna doesn't work (that's OK, I don't listen to the radio...it's a pretty easy fix anyway) and the driver's visor drooped. I fixed the latter with an 89 cent paper clip that also has other uses. The previous owner actually changed the timing belt at the recommended interval.....90K miles. A good sign for sure. Only thing I did was replace the forward struts (small leak). The first 2500 miles it has run terrific, looks great (I have yet to see another Woodland Pearl Green) and I'm a happy camper. No worries or regrets here.
Oh yeah, one of the license plate lights is out.....I just ordered a pair of blue LED T10 to replace both lights.....from info on this forum. Fun stuff.

Quick Reply: First Gen Rx 300 ......Overpriced Junk !