RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

DIY-Grom USB Adapter + Bluetooth Dongle Installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-15, 10:16 AM
Lehooce
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For anyone who cares:

I just spoke with a GROM tech and he said that the CD changer connector cord is behind the glove box even for those models without a factory CD changer.

I'll double check this afternoon to confirm. I REALLY hope there is - this system would be awesome.

Last edited by Lehooce; 06-15-15 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-15-15, 02:29 PM
Lehooce
Driver School Candidate

I found it!!

Here's some pics for reference:

Right side behind the glove box. The cord is connected to the blue cap.

Here I've removed it from the cap and the GROM device is ready for instal.
Old 06-15-15, 03:19 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Lehooce
For anyone who cares:

I just spoke with a GROM tech and he said that the CD changer connector cord is behind the glove box even for those models without a factory CD changer.

I'll double check this afternoon to confirm. I REALLY hope there is - this system would be awesome.
Awesome, thank you for the update! I'm sure it will help others in the same boat!
Old 11-07-15, 09:45 AM
mfosse
Driver School Candidate

Hello,

I just installed a GROM-BT3 bluetooth unit in my 2001 RX300 with Navigation, and I am really enjoying it so far. It is so much better than dealing with cassette aux adaptors. And the audio quality is great! Thanks for creating this installation thread: if it weren't for this, I would have never found the GROM products in the first place, haha.

Michael
Old 11-07-15, 11:12 AM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You really can't beat 'em. I have one in each of my RX's and love 'em both. Just upgraded the firmware in both too.
Old 11-07-15, 01:18 PM
Bobster999
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jbl-1985
You really can't beat 'em. I have one in each of my RX's and love 'em both. Just upgraded the firmware in both too.
never mind i just went to the GROM site to update firmware.

Last edited by Bobster999; 11-07-15 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-08-15, 05:31 AM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobster999
never mind i just went to the GROM site to update firmware.
Sorry for the late response - Just be sure to use the right firmware for your unit. The unit in my '99 RX called for a different file than the one in my '05 RX.
Old 11-08-15, 07:59 AM
Bobster999
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jbl-1985
Sorry for the late response - Just be sure to use the right firmware for your unit. The unit in my '99 RX called for a different file than the one in my '05 RX.
yes the website actually walked me through the process.
Old 11-11-15, 05:00 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

I was never able to get Grom to fix the issue I had with my Grom bluetooth adapter. They did send a firmware update to no effect.

The problem was voice prompts, like when using my Iphone as a GPS, would not be heard over the speakers unless some other Iphone audio source like music or a phone call was playing as well.

Fortunately Google solved my problem. In the Google Maps app, under settings/navigation settings, there is a setting 'Play as Bluetooth phone call'. With this enabled it works great. Apple Maps app doesn't offer this option.
Old 11-14-15, 04:55 AM
popeyerx
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installed the GROM Bluetooth for the 2001 RX300 and cannot be more happier coming from the aux tape. However I seem not be able to get the hands free part working where the voice comes from the vehicle speakers. Anyone got this working? (device is a IPhone) ....
Old 02-23-16, 03:24 PM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally bought and installed the Grom BT3 for Bluetooth! Works great and the install was a breeze thatnks to this tutorial; thanks hypervish!! I wish I had added the 30 pin cable too; I passed on it since our phones now all use the newer Lightning connector, but I had forgotten that I have an old iPod Touch I can just dedicate to the car. Now I'll just have to pay the additional $5 shipping. My question is how any of you that have installed the iPod cable have routed it, i.e. have you mounted the iPod in any way? I'll be searching the other threads for pics but if anyone came up with a good idea please share.....
Old 04-01-16, 08:46 AM
roseyyz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hypervish

Ignore : (Filler for 10 character)
Thanks for the step by step with pictures, really nice job. I wanted to ask where did you finally installed it? I'm planning to do this on my rx300 anytime soon, so I wanted an update if you had any.. thanks!
Old 04-01-16, 10:04 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roseyyz
Thanks for the step by step with pictures, really nice job. I wanted to ask where did you finally installed it? I'm planning to do this on my rx300 anytime soon, so I wanted an update if you had any.. thanks!
You're welcome.

Yeah, I ended up moving the module to the area next to the shifter. Once you remove that wood trim, you'll see there is a lot of room underneath there. Just be careful that the wires don't come in the way of the shift linkage. I just zip-tied it to the metal framing.
Old 04-04-16, 11:26 AM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
You're welcome.

Yeah, I ended up moving the module to the area next to the shifter. Once you remove that wood trim, you'll see there is a lot of room underneath there. Just be careful that the wires don't come in the way of the shift linkage. I just zip-tied it to the metal framing.
I installed this a week ago and put the Grom in the glove box. Although I didn't try at the time, it appeared that the CD wire + Grom adapter wasn't long enough to reach to the center console. Did you have to do anything else to allow the Grom unit to be able to sit there?
Old 04-04-16, 12:39 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexmus
I installed this a week ago and put the Grom in the glove box. Although I didn't try at the time, it appeared that the CD wire + Grom adapter wasn't long enough to reach to the center console. Did you have to do anything else to allow the Grom unit to be able to sit there?
The wire is short, however I have the unit towards the bottom of the center console, and on the right side. There's a little side panel on the right side of the center console held with one small pin. If you remove that, you'll see there's some room to the left of that area. The cable should reach to there.

Quick Reply: DIY-Grom USB Adapter + Bluetooth Dongle Installation