RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

DIY-Grom USB Adapter + Bluetooth Dongle Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-12, 03:36 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by richee3
Nice writeup! I had the GROM iPod interface in my old IS 300 and loved it. Well worth not having the 6 disc changer. I've been keeping an eye on eBay for the USB adapter for the RX but I've only seen it listed once. It's the 3.5 mm headphone jack on eBay. I'll probably pick one up directly from their website after Christmas.
They have a $10 off promotion right now through 1/4/13 according to their website.
Old 12-22-12, 03:52 PM
Leines
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Figures, I was under the impression the pioneer was the base system and the nakamichi was the premium. But I'd rather the pioneer now for sure.
Old 12-23-12, 06:38 PM
joetran
Driver School Candidate

My car RX300 2002 , Can do install GROM-IPD3 or GROM-USB ?
it is useful to read thic topic. I am looking for alternatives to buying CD changer magazine .
I will use the holidays to make this
Thanks all
Joe
Old 12-23-12, 06:40 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by joetran
My car RX300 2002 , Can do install GROM-IPD3 or GROM-USB ?
it is useful to read thic topic. I am looking for alternatives to buying CD changer magazine .
I will use the holidays to make this
Thanks all
Joe
Both will work with the RX300.
Old 05-05-13, 06:17 PM
tofupunx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
That's the main reason that I held off on getting it. But the pro's of the GROM unit outweigh not having a cd changer. So, I decided to just live without a cd changer and get the GROM.

I love being able to switch tracks using the buttons on the radio, that's one of the main reasons I got this. I already had a bluetooth system hooked up via my iSimple IS77 and a bluetooth receiver, but I still couldn't change tracks using the radio of course.
Are you guys talking about an external cd changer or do you mean the in-dash changer? I have a 2008 IS250 with the in-dash changer and no navigation but I still would want the cd changer to be functional. Can you tell me HYPERVISH how you find the controlablilty having limited characters diplayed? This are deal breaking questions for me.
Old 05-08-13, 05:23 AM
AndreaRX
Driver School Candidate

So just to confirm...when installing the Grom IPD3 to a 1999 RX300 (pioneer system), you lose all CD playing capability? (because there is no in-dash CD player just the changer in the glove box.) I'm not savvy in any audio installs, so I have a couple novice questions; If that is the case and indeed you lose CD playing capability, are there any ports in the back of the actual radio that can support a direct link from the factory radio? Or is the only port from the radio going to the CD changer, hence why the capability exists to only use one or the other?

If this is the case, does a newer model radio unit of the RX300 (2001 or 2002?) have an in dash CD changer? If so, can a newer RX300 radio unit (yes, complete swap out) fit into the 1999 RX300?

I know, lots of questions...sorry

Last edited by AndreaRX; 05-08-13 at 05:24 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-08-13, 11:07 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AndreaRX
So just to confirm...when installing the Grom IPD3 to a 1999 RX300 (pioneer system), you lose all CD playing capability? (because there is no in-dash CD player just the changer in the glove box.) I'm not savvy in any audio installs, so I have a couple novice questions; If that is the case and indeed you lose CD playing capability, are there any ports in the back of the actual radio that can support a direct link from the factory radio? Or is the only port from the radio going to the CD changer, hence why the capability exists to only use one or the other?

If this is the case, does a newer model radio unit of the RX300 (2001 or 2002?) have an in dash CD changer? If so, can a newer RX300 radio unit (yes, complete swap out) fit into the 1999 RX300?

I know, lots of questions...sorry
You will lose all CD playing capability, as you are unplugging the CD player and plugging the cable from the radio into the GROM.

None of the newer radios for the RX300 have the CD player built in.

There are no other ports on the back of the radio that support the CD player.

You can always buy the GROM USB, which will allow you to use a USB flash drive. Which is pretty much like a CD player, and you don't have to leave your ipod/iphone connected at all times.
The following users liked this post:
LA4Mead (07-13-17)
Old 05-08-13, 01:29 PM
AndreaRX
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for clarifying!
Old 05-08-13, 02:34 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by AndreaRX
Thanks for clarifying!
You're welcome!
Old 05-19-13, 04:19 PM
shumif1
Driver School Candidate

hypervish..
how can i tell if i have a pioneer or nakamichi , can you tell by the face plate or do i need to remove the radio and see on the label ?
Old 05-19-13, 04:32 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by shumif1
hypervish..
how can i tell if i have a pioneer or nakamichi , can you tell by the face plate or do i need to remove the radio and see on the label ?
If your radio says Nakamichi on the left side above the volume ****, then it is nakamichi. If it only says "Lexus Premium Audio System" then it is pioneer.
Old 06-13-13, 02:11 PM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hypervish,
I'm new to the forum and new to Lexus*, but far from new to these kinds of mods: great DIY write-up!

I'm a Mercedes guy, and I put OEM Bluetooth and iPod cable in my last CLK. The BT took a good 2 hours and involved over $500 in parts and removal of trunk and console carpeting, so this is some really good news here!

*I just bought a 1999 RX300 for my daughter's first car (she doesn't even know yet). When I showed her pics of a Kia Sportage I was considering, she was over the moon, so I'd better have the smelling salts ready when she sees this!

She's an iPhone user and I am most interested in her having Bluetooth. Dumb question maybe, but does this Grom BT "auto-connect" to your phone, now that it's all linked? I don't want it to be "up to her" to connect when she gets behind the wheel. Does the BT automatically interrupt the music you're listening to? Does it display anything, like incoming call phone #?

I don't think kids today care about CDs if they can use their iPod/iPhones. Does the cable charge the iPhone (she's got the 4)? I assume you skip songs using the "soft keys" in the Multi-function Display below the << >>. Do the real buttons on the head unit itself also advance tracks? Do the Disc ^ v buttons do anything?

Last edited by djeddieo; 06-13-13 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-13-13, 02:41 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by djeddieo
hypervish,
I'm new to the forum and new to Lexus*, but far from new to these kinds of mods: great DIY write-up!

I'm a Mercedes guy, and I put OEM Bluetooth and iPod cable in my last CLK. The BT took a good 2 hours and involved over $500 in parts and removal of trunk and console carpeting, so this is some really good news here!

*I just bought a 1999 RX300 for my daughter's first car (she doesn't even know yet). When I showed her pics of a Kia Sportage I was considering, she was over the moon, so I'd better have the smelling salts ready when she sees this!

She's an iPhone user and I am most interested in her having Bluetooth. Dumb question maybe, but does this Grom BT "auto-connect" to your phone, now that it's all linked? I don't want it to be "up to her" to connect when she gets behind the wheel. Does the BT automatically interrupt the music you're listening to?Does it display anything, like incoming call phone #?

I don't think kids today care about CDs if they can use their iPod/iPhones. Does the cable charge the iPhone (she's got the 4)? I assume you skip songs using the "soft keys" in the Multi-function Display below the << >>. Do the real buttons on the head unit itself also advance tracks? Do the Disc ^ v buttons do anything?
Congrat's on the purchase, and your daughter is one lucky girl! She will love the RX!

Yes, the bluetooth auto-connect's as soon as you turn on the radio. Within' 15 seconds (apprx.) of turning on the radio you will hear a beep, confirming the phone is connected. Once you initially pair the phone, you don't need to every do it again. Unless, of course you delete the profile or get a new phone.

I assume by
Does the BT automatically interrupt the music you're listening to?
you mean if a phone call comes in will the music stop playing and allow you to answer the phone call? If that is what you are asking then, yes it will fade out the music and allow you to answer the call. The best part is you can accept the phone call just by pressing the "Track Up" button. Or decline it by pressing "Track Down".

Unfortunately, it does not display the phone number as our radios do not support RDS.

You can either charge by USB, or buy the optional 30 pin connector.

The real buttons on the head unit I referred to above as "Track Up & Down" control just that, the song track. You can advance tracks and go backwards to a previous track.

The keys on the "display", skip within' the music track.

I hope I answered all of your questions. Feel free to ask more!
Old 06-13-13, 06:51 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Djeddieo -
I put the GROM adapter in my daughter's RX. She doesn't have the Bluetooth. She absolutely loves the adapter and doesn't miss the CD player at all. I was very pleased with the GROM product, but can't speak to the Bluetooth part. Your daughter will love you forever when she sees the RX. I thought it might be to soccer-mom-like for my daughter, but not a problem. Her friends always liked it, too. .Before I took her back to school last week, I showed her how to change her ignition coil (if it's one of the front three...) in case one conks out like it did about a year ago. Welcome to the forum!
Old 06-18-13, 03:05 PM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey, thanks for the replies, which I only just saw. Seems I'm subscribed with "weekly notification" and I thought I was being ignored

she does indeed love the car (and loved me for getting it, at least for the first couple of days!) I've been consumed with some "minor" issues, like the parking brake seizing up when I got the inspection sticker (luckily after the sticker was applied!), and the "D" light not working on the shifter. I'm finding these forums to be even more DIY-ish than the Mercedes boards I've happily been a part of for the last 9 years. I'm confident I'll get this all sorted out!

Quick Reply: DIY-Grom USB Adapter + Bluetooth Dongle Installation