RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Shifter solenoid problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-12, 06:29 PM
Ramblemutt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter solenoid problem?

Well, my 2 week old 00 RX showed me that the CEL works just fine tonite. Scanner tells me it's the #4 shifter solenoid. Any experience that can point me toward the next step will be appreciated. Would this be a common problem? I've kicked the CEL for the moment, and it has stayed off for the 5 miles it took me to get home.
Old 11-29-12, 07:02 PM
Ramblemutt
Driver School Candidate

My apologies for the double post...hope the mod deletes one. I've an old computer and the keys stick.....
Old 11-29-12, 08:40 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

As you move the key the first time to on, the system does a self test and warning lights should light up in the display.

As a new owner, the owner's manual is a must read.

Salim
Old 11-30-12, 08:20 AM
Ramblemutt
Driver School Candidate

Thanks...I was being a bit sarcastic. I know the CEL works. I submitted my rig to a scanner when it came on, thus the code for the "D" shifter solenoid, which seems to be a fairly common problem. I am hoping it is not a precursor to a major tranny problem. The seller gave me a 90 day warranty on drive train, so I still have a month and a half to see if a major problem exists. Can anyone suggest if there are specific tests to check out the tranny? I'll see today, hopefully, if the solenoid code is thrown at me again. I'm just wondering if there are some specific areas I can check to determine any tranny problems...other than just tearing into it of course. It seems to be shifting smoothly right thru the gears, and no apparent problem with OD. Maybe the solenoid contacts just need cleaning up or a new solenoid is needed. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Ramblemutt; 11-30-12 at 08:23 AM. Reason: insufficient info