RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Auto headlamp setting (also posted over on 2nd gen)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-12, 07:56 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Auto headlamp setting (also posted over on 2nd gen)

Hi guy`s, this may have been asked already. But do you all leave your headlamp setting in the auto setting? I ask this because I really like that setting, (never have to worry about the lights) however when I start it up in the garage every morning, the lights will come on. And in the summer months, they will come on when backing in the garage, hence two unnecessary turn on`s. Just seems like extra wear on bulb/ballast life. Am I just being paranoid thinking of it this way, or do I have a valid concern? Oh, I have the HID bulbs.

Ryan
Old 11-16-12, 08:05 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

The other is the wear on switch contacts.

At the end it is a convenience feature/item. I would not worry about it (either way).

If you like, you can start a survey. I keep mine in manual mode ... which one of the valets always changes to auto. Once as habit I did a two click off (mentally) and realized later that the parking lights were left on.

Salim
Old 11-16-12, 08:13 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by salimshah
The other is the wear on switch contacts.

At the end it is a convenience feature/item. I would not worry about it (either way).

If you like, you can start a survey. I keep mine in manual mode ... which one of the valets always changes to auto. Once as habit I did a two click off (mentally) and realized later that the parking lights were left on.

Salim

Never thought about that one!
Old 11-16-12, 08:42 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

If you have conventional bulbs the turn on cycles won't do much harm. if you have HIDs then I would turn the auto feature off. The HID bulb is like a projector bulb in that you have an arc that generates the light. Turning that type of bulb on and off does in fact reduce the lifespan. Even florescent bulbs are like this. If you have a bulb that has a filament, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 11-16-12, 09:20 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iolmaster
If you have conventional bulbs the turn on cycles won't do much harm. if you have HIDs then I would turn the auto feature off. The HID bulb is like a projector bulb in that you have an arc that generates the light. Turning that type of bulb on and off does in fact reduce the lifespan. Even florescent bulbs are like this. If you have a bulb that has a filament, it shouldn't be a problem.

Good point.
Old 11-16-12, 11:53 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I leave it off in the RX due to what you mentioned and because I've heard that it draws a bit of power even when the car is off.

I leave it on in the ES, which has HID lights. Mostly because if I use "auto" then the DRL's come on. If I leave it off then there are no DRL's, and I prefer having them on.
Old 11-16-12, 12:05 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by hypervish
I leave it off in the RX due to what you mentioned and because I've heard that it draws a bit of power even when the car is off.

I leave it on in the ES, which has HID lights. Mostly because if I use "auto" then the DRL's come on. If I leave it off then there are no DRL's, and I prefer having them on.
Are you sure about that? I had a 2000 ES300 with HID and the DRLs are on all the time. Regardless of the position of the light switch. I just went out and checked my SC430 and the DRLs are on all the time also. Even if the switch is in the off position.
Old 11-16-12, 01:34 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Are you sure about that? I had a 2000 ES300 with HID and the DRLs are on all the time. Regardless of the position of the light switch. I just went out and checked my SC430 and the DRLs are on all the time also. Even if the switch is in the off position.
Yeah, I'm sure. The DRL's only go on in the "Auto" position. My ES is the 4th gen though, while your ES is 3rd gen. They use a different stalk.

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...pdf/sec1-2.pdf < Look at the second page (#26), that is what my stalk looks like.
Old 11-16-12, 02:45 PM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexus114
Hi guy`s, this may have been asked already. But do you all leave your headlamp setting in the auto setting? I ask this because I really like that setting, (never have to worry about the lights) however when I start it up in the garage every morning, the lights will come on. And in the summer months, they will come on when backing in the garage, hence two unnecessary turn on`s. Just seems like extra wear on bulb/ballast life. Am I just being paranoid thinking of it this way, or do I have a valid concern? Oh, I have the HID bulbs.

Ryan
Possible solution: Install motion activated lights bright enough in your garage so that when you're there, the lights come on bright enough to not trigger your auto headlights!
Old 11-16-12, 02:49 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

your thinking too much about it

bulbs will go bad when they go bad! its a car , drive it and don't worry about the little things!

Me personally, I use it manual or leave it on the second setting during the day (have upgraded LED bulbs below the DRL)

At night I'll switch it. Dont be too rough with it and it shouldn't wear out the switch
Old 11-16-12, 02:56 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by hypervish
Yeah, I'm sure. The DRL's only go on in the "Auto" position. My ES is the 4th gen though, while your ES is 3rd gen. They use a different stalk.

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...pdf/sec1-2.pdf < Look at the second page (#26), that is what my stalk looks like.
Wonder why they decided to do it that way on 4th generation? I know my 2000 RX has the DRLs on all the time also. I would be curious how many models they had the DRLs on only when in auto or in the on position.
Old 11-16-12, 03:06 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
your thinking too much about it

bulbs will go bad when they go bad! its a car , drive it and don't worry about the little things!

Me personally, I use it manual or leave it on the second setting during the day (have upgraded LED bulbs below the DRL)

At night I'll switch it. Dont be too rough with it and it shouldn't wear out the switch
+1 on that.
Old 11-16-12, 03:49 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Wonder why they decided to do it that way on 4th generation? I know my 2000 RX has the DRLs on all the time also. I would be curious how many models they had the DRLs on only when in auto or in the on position.
I think a lot of people dislike DRL's, I don't know why. So, I guess Lexus decided to give them an option. Because the only way to turn them off in the RX300 is to unplug the wire for them, which i believe is somewhere near the battery tray.
Old 11-16-12, 04:29 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
Never thought about that one!
My previous car was Honda Accord. Other than early life failure of fuel pump, the head-light switch wore off (long term use).

Salim
Old 11-19-12, 07:16 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by amphipri0n
Possible solution: Install motion activated lights bright enough in your garage so that when you're there, the lights come on bright enough to not trigger your auto headlights!

Hahahaha!! That just might work?

Quick Reply: Auto headlamp setting (also posted over on 2nd gen)