RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

VVT Solenoid (OCV) Replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-14, 09:20 AM
Lexish
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile thanks for the diy

Even though I can't see well enough to do this myself, I can take the instructions to the mechanic.
It saves time and mistakes! Also, usually some $$.
Old 10-08-14, 07:35 AM
ihateduke
Driver School Candidate

When cleaning the filter/screen, the instructions said to replace the o-ring. What size oring is it? Do you just take it off and try to match it to one or are there standard kits you can buy?
Old 10-08-14, 12:57 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Welcome to CL. Please read the sticky having problems start here thread and other sticky threads.

You can go to the dealer and ask for the right part.

We have sponsors like Sewell part which give you a discount when you create an account with Club Lexus name.

Or you can take the Orings to a local auto-shop and they will eyeball it.

Personally, I would get the OEM (with matching part number). I would reuse the old till the new one comes in after making sure there are no cuts or deformity. YMMV.

Salim
Old 11-22-14, 05:14 PM
jpische
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Bear great DYI. Just completed this repair. When reinstalling the screen you can also install the small end of the cone with the tab into the nut and then install them together to keep them aligned.

Thanks again.
Old 01-05-15, 06:30 AM
arsooner
Driver School Candidate

01/05/2015:
Just completed this repair on bank 2, only my bank 2 OCV solenoid was bad.
This is so simple to do, once you clear the way to get to them. The instructions were right on. On the plus side the filters came out with the bolts so the pliers/tweezers were not needed. They were really clean for 172,000 miles. **Keep the oil changed**

Thxs
Old 01-31-15, 06:57 AM
cghelton
Driver School Candidate

I'm getting a P1349 code for bank 1. Is that the one closest to the radiator?

Thanks
Old 01-31-15, 07:45 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by cghelton
I'm getting a P1349 code for bank 1. Is that the one closest to the radiator?

Thanks
Please read the sticky threads.

Bank1 is closest to the firewall.

Salim
Old 02-02-15, 01:08 AM
cghelton
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Please read the sticky threads.

Bank1 is closest to the firewall.

Salim
I figured it out after I posted this.
Sorry about that.
Old 02-11-15, 06:15 AM
director93
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Thanks for the valuable information on this post. I too had the symptoms and had no idea what what going on. I was about to give up hope on my car until I read the thread. Even though I am not mechanically inclined, I was able to replace both OCV's (bought from Amazon for $35 each) and filter in about 40 minutes. Changed them last night and drove the car to work today and the result was amazing. My car is now peppy again and the MPG improved from 18 to near 21. Now if I can fix the oil leak, put the window back on track, and get the air conditioning working again, I will be in good shape. Thanks again.
Old 02-21-15, 01:16 PM
cstewa
Driver School Candidate

Default OCV replacement

Can't say thanks enough. Did the OCV replacement on the Front cylinders (Bank 2). Took no time and fixed my problem.

Interesting note: My problem was very intermitent. It would only happen after the car was warm and had been sitting in traffic for a bit. If I drove it short distances (like to work) it would be fine. So therefore it took me a while to realize it was the OCV.

I also cleaned the IACV and the throttle body before the OCV which of course didn't help anything. I also I thoroughly cleaned the Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF) also before the OCV. Again no help.

Finally followed the instructions here and now its perfect.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 02-23-15, 05:23 AM
BearsLexus
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad my DIY was able to help all of you. I'm going to be getting rid of my RX because it's become nothing more than a constant source of stress and trouble, and a never ending money pit.
Glad I was able to help some of you out!

Bear
Old 02-23-15, 08:30 PM
appsdba
Rookie

Originally Posted by BearsLexus
Glad my DIY was able to help all of you. I'm going to be getting rid of my RX because it's become nothing more than a constant source of stress and trouble, and a never ending money pit.
Glad I was able to help some of you out!

Bear
Thank you for your post Bear. It is very useful. I did experience the "toughness" of pulling the OCV out. But I took Salim's advice to heart and he's right.....It does take patience and a little time. The two most important (and probably the hardest) things for me, personally, was not to be anxious and not rush during this whole process. I was able to twist, wiggle and pull it out with my hands and it popped out in 10 minutes.
Old 03-05-15, 09:33 AM
vwgto
Driver School Candidate

Default Great Help

Had rough running on the highway, and then engine light, a month or two after having timing belt replaced. 167K miles. Shop told me it was the unrelated front VVT Solenoid, and they wanted $800 to replace both (including various flushes, etc) - -or $500 for just one! Based on this thread, ordered both parts from Amazon for around $80. Only hiccup was getting one of them out, but the suggestion to use a plumbing wrench was inspirational. Cleaned the filters, but they were not bad. Only had to disconnect one hose "T", which was very easy to then push aside. Running like a champ. Thanks to all for the great information!
Old 03-28-15, 09:11 PM
Phantom410
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Replaced mine today, both front and rear solenoids. Cleaned out the filter by the rear as well. A little difficult getting to the rear one, I removed my air box to get more wiggle room with a few hoses. swapped em out and this car runs like I just got it off the lot! thanks for the GREAT DYI!
Old 03-29-15, 12:39 PM
oyerbl
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for this thread!
My symptoms;
About a month or two of studdering from a slow take off, occurred more often as time went. Never happened at highway speeds.
Then yesterday happened at highway speeds, followed by and immediate check engine light. This was the first time I had been HAPPY to see a CEL!
I had my wife log in my elm327 (
Amazon Amazon
)
And use dash commander to check the code while we were driving it pulled the p15xx (already forgot the number) and I knew where to start.
By the time we got to our destination (30 miles) it had thrown multiple misfires bank 2 and miss on 2.,4,6. And could hardly stay running.
After 10 minutes of searching, I found this thread and ordered both OCV from oriely's. 917-211 and 917-214. If you ask for an OCV by model, you're likely to get sent to the dealer. Ask by part number!
Cleaned both screens and replaced both valves. Cleared the codes and everything has been great!

WARNING.... The longest part of this job comes when you drop one of the bolts for holding in the OCV... Use a strong magnet bit OR just spare yourself the headache and buy a couple bolts if you have the time.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: VVT Solenoid (OCV) Replacement DIY