RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 Air Mode Servo removal made easy

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-14, 09:25 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

There are mode and mix servos. The mode is the one that redirects the air to different vents. Lexus is obsessive about keeping the environment so fresh that in Auto mode the mode servo is working overtime. That makes it a pretty common problem (not only in RX but other lines too).

I would advice against buying used as the part you will get will most likely be pretty worn out.

How can you prevent the over use. Do not run in Auto. Else expect about 80-90k of life.

In your particular case where you seem to be burning them more often .... I think the servo is operating under stress. Mechanic should have spent more time in figuring out what is the cause of excessive load. But that would have jacked up your repair cost. So that is the choice you are left with to make. Since the DIY is not too complicated, If I were you, I would spend the $150 (estimate) every 3 yrs.

Salim
Old 07-26-14, 01:39 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
I opened up both my Air Mix Servo and Air Mode Servo today. I moved the collar on the motor up a bit more so that the gear did not move around on the collar. I saw "Froggy" who owns a Lexus IS300 (same servo) on youtube do this and it worked for him.

I'll update this thread once I determine whether or not it is fixed.
Update!

This fixed it! The noise has not returned. Quick, simple and free fix.
The following users liked this post:
rufftimo (09-23-19)
Old 07-28-14, 11:33 AM
westerj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Move that collar!

Good news is that the collar slide to match the 0.400 dimension worked great to quiet down our Mix servo. If it happens again, might be a good time to put a drop of red thread locker once its in place. Thanks so much for the assistance... and the graphic depicting the alignment of the control arm when the device has been powered off. That neutral position is blown once you open the box... and those damn little clips that break off.. Don't worry, the screws that affix the box to the air housing hold the parts together.
Old 10-03-14, 08:13 PM
Glenn F.
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I' m also trying to replace the Air Mix Servo on my 2001 RX-300. I can get at remove the 2 screws on the bottom, but the aluminum heat/air pipes are touching each other and can get a screwdriver in between them to get at that "hidden" 3'rd screw.

There is a bracket at the top holding the 2 aluminum heat/air pipes down. Do I need to loosen or remove the bracket to make the aluminum pipes separate a little to allow me to get a screwdriver in there? If so, there is a phillips head screw on the side of the bracket or a hex bolt at the top of the bracket. Which one do I need to loosen or remove?

Also, what length/size phillips screwdriver do I need for that nasty 3'rd screw?

Last edited by Glenn F.; 10-03-14 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-04-14, 08:09 AM
salimshah

I just used another screw driver .. if I remember it right it was the stubby Phillips.

Salim
Old 10-04-14, 08:25 AM
Glenn F.
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
I just used another screw driver .. if I remember it right it was the stubby Phillips.

Salim
Thanks Salim,

I just found a flat head stubby screwdriver and went in from an angle and it gripped the screw head. So now I'm going to menards to get a small precision head stubby phillips head screw driver. But before I attempt to take that 3'rd screw out I will put a little WD-40 on it.

Thanks for replying. This part and labor by Lexus costs a fortune!
Old 10-04-14, 09:00 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Glenn F.
Thanks Salim,

I just found a flat head stubby screwdriver and went in from an angle and it gripped the screw head. So now I'm going to menards to get a small precision head stubby phillips head screw driver. But before I attempt to take that 3'rd screw out I will put a little WD-40 on it.

Thanks for replying. This part and labor by Lexus costs a fortune!
You add up your hours and multiply that with 120.

Remember to put a new or most pristine head screw in the difficult spot (in case you want to get to it the next time). If it is already rounded off, it may go in easy, but will be difficult to open.

Salim
Old 08-15-15, 12:28 PM
Shep
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for this thread, I have mine mode servo exposed except for that 3rd screw and was wondering if anyone came up with a part number?

I found this number at parts.com...8710630371 for $129 and would just as soon as to pay the $$$ and once reinstalled tear into the old one to renew as a possible spare.

Thanks much in advance for any thoughts.
Old 08-15-15, 07:33 PM
Shep
Driver School Candidate

Never mind.I think I found it on another thread.......
Old 08-27-15, 07:29 PM
Shep
Driver School Candidate

This thread should go down in history as the most valuable thread I have ever read...

I ordered the servo from Parts.com for $129 or so and nervously I slowly followed this thread and looking back it was a piece of cake...

The trick of using the rubber tube over the head of the screw is one I'll never forget as it was truly life saving!!

So, this thread may be a tad old but it is still very valid for those that have this servo issue..

Thanks CLUB LEXUS!!!
The following users liked this post:
rufftimo (09-23-19)
Old 09-25-15, 02:37 PM
chexx419
Driver School Candidate

Default direction and temperature

Only ac and only one direction blows.... what motors do I need to replace or clean?
Old 09-25-15, 10:49 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by chexx419
Only ac and only one direction blows.... what motors do I need to replace or clean?
Welcome to Club Lexus.
Please elaborate.

There is lots of information if you follow the thread and also in the sticky threads.

There are more than two servos but basically the discussion here is about mode servo (the one that responds to Mode setting (in auto the mode keeps changing). The mode servo directs the air to different vents. The other servo is the mix servo which controls hot/cold.

Salim
Old 07-04-16, 04:07 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by dimitrov
OK guys, it's time for my first post and I hope this can be useful to anyone having trouble with the servo motors. I have RX 300 MY2003 and I bought it three weeks ago with the rattling noise in the mode servo. After reading maybe everything in this forum and trying several suggestions - changing, cleaning, lubricating etc. I think I've discovered the source of the noise, and unfortunately it is not caused by the motor itself or the gears or by dirty contact surface. At least not in my case. The cause is wear of the plastic cradles somewhere inside - can be the cradle of the motor, or the cradle of the axes of the gears I didn't have much time to investigate deeply.
The good news is that I found a long term free solution of the problem. I found out that all three motors are exactly the same except its levers. Every motor has two main parts - the "base" which contains the motor and the gears and the contacts and "cover" which holds the contact surface and the lever which moves the flaps.
So I took down both - the faulty air mode motor and the less used motor (the one for the air recirculation) which is located on the top.
I assembly the "base" of the recirculation motor with the "cover" of the air mode motor and mount it as air mode motor.
Next, of course, the "base" of the air mode motor and the "cover" of the recirculation motor and mount it as recirculation motor.
Finally (to my surprise) everything was working like it was coming straight from the factory. No more noises and brilliant operation of all functions of the climate control.
I wanted to vouch for dmitrov's motor swap method to repair the mode servo. I had the loud grinding noise when trying to go to the front-only air mode setting. I swapped the air recirculation servo motor into the mode servo and vice versa, and both now work. The weakened mode motor is sufficient to operate the recirculation servo while the motor from the recirc servo is still good enough to run the mode servo correctly.

I had previously greased the spring on the mode servo arm per Salim's recommendation, but that alone did not fix my mode servo issue.

I had also noticed the recirc servo was oscillating slightly while on the recirculation setting, so I cleaned the large gear wheel carbon tracks and metal contacts in that servo, smeared clean grease from elsewhere in the servo onto the gear surface, popped it back together, and that issue is fixed as well.
Old 09-06-16, 08:32 AM
matthewlsw
Rookie

Default Is this the correct part

This is the part I ordered for the servo on the left which was stuck and making a grinding sound. Mine was stuck on defrost, and then if I changed the mode and manually push the arm it moves to the front vents and gets stuck on that,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It should be here by tomorrow
Old 09-06-16, 12:54 PM
salimshah

Make sure you ordered the right servo

"mode" servo ... that controls the mode .. air to windsheild, face or feet level.

" Mix" servo that controls hot/cold.

They are not interchangeable.

On installation make sure you move the lever manually to match the position of the servo arm. Do not try to move the arm manually.
Salim

Quick Reply: RX300 Air Mode Servo removal made easy