RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Weird issue with locks.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-12, 03:26 PM
IndyRX300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird issue with locks.

Please forgive me if this is a common issue. Google search wasn't helpful.

Lately I have been hearing the car either locking and unlocking itself after using the key fob. It's almost like something is on the same frequency as the fob. Alarm is fine and not going off randomly.

I am thinking maybe a dying battery in the fob could be causing this. As for the frequency interference, could it be possible my cell phone is a culprit or am I just crazy for thinking this.

Once again I apologize if this is some that is in the owners manual. I hate searching on my phone. Not to mention I am up to my neck in grime and other nast from working on my car all day.

Thanks again in advance
Old 10-07-12, 04:04 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean.

The RX will automatically lock itself after 30 secs.
Old 10-07-12, 04:18 PM
IndyRX300
Driver

Originally Posted by hypervish
I'm sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean.

The RX will automatically lock itself after 30 secs.
Yeah im sorry about that. Its hard to explain. I had a hard time trying to come up with the words for the google search.

Basically , I can hear the actuators trigger in the time frame you mentioned.

Another bad design flaw in my opinion by the engineers. I now know that we owe our son an apology for blaming him for locking the.keys in the car right after we bought the car.

The wife just pointed out something I was not aware of. This is happening constantly. Perhaps a door latch is not full making contact?

Last edited by IndyRX300; 10-07-12 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-07-12, 06:04 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Auto self lock feature that I know of is ,,,
If you unlock and then do not pull the door handle to release, RX will lock it self. [this design feature is there to ensure the vehicle is locked, even if you accidentally hit the un-lock as you walk away.

The other is the remote will fail to unlock if the receiver gets the same frequency (but different code) ... like from another RX.

Try opening up the key cover and clean out the lint.

It will help if you list step by step the conditions in which the RX is locking itself up.

Salim
Old 10-07-12, 07:01 PM
IndyRX300
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
Auto self lock feature that I know of is ,,,
If you unlock and then do not pull the door handle to release, RX will lock it self. [this design feature is there to ensure the vehicle is locked, even if you accidentally hit the un-lock as you walk away.

The other is the remote will fail to unlock if the receiver gets the same frequency (but different code) ... like from another RX.

Try opening up the key cover and clean out the lint.

It will help if you list step by step the conditions in which the RX is locking itself up.

Salim
Unfortunately , we only have one fob.
Old 10-08-12, 12:28 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

If you have a door unlocked that the central locking fails to lock it will keep trying until it does. My passenger door lock was forced unlocked as it was locking itself due a huge paranoid person holding hand on lock as it was trying to lock and broke it. You most likely have same problem if one door lock has failed it will continue to try lock itself untill you manually lock the door that is the problem.
Old 10-08-12, 03:40 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Do you still hear the "beep" or do you only hear the actuators?

If you DO NOT hear the beep, then check all of the door locks and make sure that they actually work when you press the lock button on the door or remote.

In my case, when my door lock actuator went I could hear the actuator only trying to lock/unlock but the car wouldn't beep indicating something was wrong.