RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2001 rx300 shifts hard from 2nd to 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-12, 05:28 PM
ZBABAR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 rx300 shifts hard from 2nd to 3rd

hi
I have problem with my rx300 2001 .it has a trans. issue .There was no reverse at all. I replaced the transmission. with reman. got from lexus dealer. now it runs normal but from 2nd to 3rd gear it shifts harder. takes a little high rpm then shift to 3rd. amkes a jerk during shift. I thought it has bad transmission, I ordered another one, and installed, but still does the same as the first one.I reset memory, disconnect battery, pulled efi fuse, and let it sit, still does same thing, I wannna know is there any thing I am missing.
thanks
Old 09-25-12, 06:25 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

You are using Toyota Type-IV compatible fluid correct? Are you certain you didn't miss any connections, such as a ground cable, etc?
Old 09-26-12, 06:09 AM
ZBABAR
Driver School Candidate

I checked all grounds, unplugged ECT connector from transmission, and plugged back, loose all grounds and cleaned ,ECU showing 3 grounds, behind intake, side off intake and one front by radiator,(right side)
There is no check engine light on. No leak. yes I am using t-1V fluid , genuine ...
Old 09-26-12, 09:45 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

I'm not quite understanding what you mean by a jerk between 2nd and 3rd. Is this a rough feeling or is it a hesitation. An issue I recall when I used to go racing was the 2nd and 3rd shift being a bit prolonged due to the fact my gear oil was old/worn in both the transfer case/rear differential, but was much smoother after I changed it out.

Keep in mind, too, that after reseting the battery to take it easy driving for about 15 minutes. What I do is a 50/50 combination of highway (getting about 55 mph at least once) / city driving and not flooring the accelerator at any time.

The only other issue that hasn't been already mentioned is that at higher gear levels, if the fluid is a tad low, I've seen a surging or jerking. It's happened where with a new tranny that upon refilling the transmission, measuring the transmission fluid by the stick, and not filling it full as the manual requires for all the quarts, leads to a surging/jerking issue (happened to me and my uncle).
Old 09-26-12, 10:55 AM
ZBABAR
Driver School Candidate

Well, its take time to shift into 3rd gear, Idon't think if any thing wrong, fluid is at proper level. I might have to reset memory and drive.I will check the drive cylce pattern on TIS.

it takes time to shift into 3rd gear.its is not rough, or jerk.I can tell it takes a little more rpm then shifts to 3rd. and its front wheel drive only.
Old 09-10-13, 11:20 AM
hweggeman
Driver School Candidate

I am having this exact problem, hard and delayed shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. I have an RX300 2000 year model with 134,000 miles. I had transmission fluid changed out with Lexus original fluid. I have checked the level and it is fine. I have had the memory reset and driven easily so the computer will store new values. It got a little better after the reset but has steadily gone back to exactly how it was before or possibly a little worse. I know there is a TSB (Technical service bulletin) that discusses this very issue. It even feels like the brakes are being applied during the shift from 2nd to 3rd gear but obviously that is not happening. I really need help with this if anybody has any ideas.
Old 02-05-18, 06:01 PM
aungzi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hweggeman
I am having this exact problem, hard and delayed shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. I have an RX300 2000 year model with 134,000 miles. I had transmission fluid changed out with Lexus original fluid. I have checked the level and it is fine. I have had the memory reset and driven easily so the computer will store new values. It got a little better after the reset but has steadily gone back to exactly how it was before or possibly a little worse. I know there is a TSB (Technical service bulletin) that discusses this very issue. It even feels like the brakes are being applied during the shift from 2nd to 3rd gear but obviously that is not happening. I really need help with this if anybody has any ideas.
hello, i am also having the same problem like this, have changed the transmisison and changed the ecu, the problems are still there?
can you please share the experience how did you all solve it.
thanks (:
Old 07-01-19, 07:08 PM
1a2b
Driver School Candidate

Default Another potential problem with shifting issues!

My vehicle 2001 RX300 had ever more pronounced shifting problems until it no longer shifted at all even while gear selector was from one gear to another and to R. I searched youtube and found this "1999 Lexus RX300 shift control cable replacement - Repair (Interior)." I had never seen this mentioned as a potential problem! This guy is proceeding to replace the shifting cable to fix his shifting issue (no shifting at all, like mine now), and found that the problem was indeed with the cable. The cable end had come off of the stud where it was attached to inside the gear selector "dome." The cable has a round hard plastic end that fits over the said stud and it had become brittle or whatever and broken inside which allowed it to slip away from the stud. Thus it would no longer pull the cable at all and hence not move gears inside the gear box, or not do its thing inside the transfer case, whichever may be the case. He then proceeded to fix this without changing the cable and the outer shell of the said plastic end was still intact. He fixed it by putting a 1/4" rubber crommet over the stud after the plastic end was installed back over the stud. The OD of the crommet slipped inside the recess in the plastic end. Then he placed two 5/16" circlips next to that to keep it sliding out, and finally he put also 5/16" axle nut - the kind that is pressed over the stud/shaft/axle end and grips onto the stud and helps to keep all together. The cost of these small hardware items from Home Depot is less than $5. I think I may have the same problem and my shifting gradually became worse and worse over relatively short time span. Perhaps the plastic end first broke inside partially which meant that it would no longer pull the cable all the way where it needed to be pulled to do its thing and then finally broke completely loose. I plan to check mine tomorrow. I could not put the youtube URL here as this site does not allow it at least not for me as I have not been active for a long time.
Old 07-02-19, 10:01 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Diagnosis of problem requires looking at the symptoms. If there is no shift, shift cable can be a problem and then with search you can get to this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ift-lever.html

Here the problem being discussed has more to do the the transmission [solenoids or other innards].

Salim