RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Let's nit-pick our RX

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-12, 03:31 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Let's nit-pick our RX

Hey everyone, there's a similar thread to this over on the ES section and I think it's a great topic. And, the first gen forum has been a bit slow lately, which is a good thing and just goes to show how reliable these little beasts are.

I don't have many things to nit-pick about since I really do love my RX300, but not everyone/everything is perfect! The only things I have to nit-pick about are really just about the gadgets.

I wish the memory seats would save the mirror position as well. My ES300 does this, and it's so helpful. I don't understand why Lexus didn't implement this with the RX300, it's common sense that if you move the seats then you should adjust the mirrors as well.

Actually there's three more things, although Lexus fixed 2 of the 3 when they did the MY refresh in 2001.

One being the fuel tank is way too small on the 99'-00' RX, I wish the range was longer. The 2001 and newer had a larger tank which was a great addition.

The second is related to the first in a way, but Lexus did not address this till the 2nd gen RX. And, that is, the RX doesn't show the cruising range anywhere. I found that disappointing because even my 96' Dodge Grand Caravan had that. And, I know that they had feature around because the LS had it, and my 2002 ES has it.

The third "complaint" is that there isn't enough cup holders (on the 99'-00'). In 2001 they added cup holders on the rear seat. I take a road trip monthly (about 2000 miles), and the only thing I've found myself complaining about after 15 hours sometimes more of continuous driving is the cup-holders. There isn't enough for a family of 4 or 5 on a road-trip. There is only 4 cup-holders on the 99'-00' and I would love to have more. I end up having to use the compartment on the door to shove my water bottle into. After 2001, there was 6 which is a fair number.

Honestly, that's all that I can think of. There isn't much about the RX that really bothers me. I wish it had a few more features (i.e. rain sensing wipers like my ES, ASL, etc) , but then that isn't really nit-picking that's just wanting more.

So, what annoys you about the RX300?
Old 09-13-12, 03:56 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm surprised you didn't mention the wide turning radius. That's the only imperfection for me.

I have a 2002 model and I like it much better than the post-2003 RX models. I think Lexus got it almost perfect the first time and has been straying off-target since then.
Old 09-13-12, 04:03 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bob2200
I'm surprised you didn't mention the wide turning radius. That's the only imperfection for me.

I have a 2002 model and I like it much better than the post-2003 RX models. I think Lexus got it almost perfect the first time and has been straying off-target since then.
Luckily It hasn't been a big issue for me personally. I now know the amount of space I need to make a U-turn and how far off the road I have to go, so I can do it with minimum fuss.

I agree I really love the first gen RX. They got it right. If Lexus today brought out the RX300 with a hybrid drivetrain, I would be the first one to order it no matter the cost. The design is great, the visibility is unbeatable, along with a bunch of other things I love.
Old 09-13-12, 05:39 PM
Bobster999
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

2000 mile monthly road trip? Wow you must make good money to be able to just buy the gas!
Old 09-13-12, 06:06 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bobster999
2000 mile monthly road trip? Wow you must make good money to be able to just buy the gas!
Yup, 2k miles. Usually ends being around 2200 miles though. Tell me about it! Price of gas just keeps going up! It really hurts my wallet, especially considering I use 93 octane. I just paid $4.01 for premium, and that's the cheapest rate I could find around here. I normally go to Michigan/Chicago on my road trips and the gas prices are about 30 cents more than here. Ugh, I need a hybrid RX300.
Old 09-13-12, 06:52 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Just too many on the road and they go all the way to 1999

My peeve ,,,, turning radius!

Salim
Old 09-13-12, 06:54 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree on the memory seats. The 93 SC400 I just got even has it so the mirrors adjust with the seat position. Crazy... Not much else I could think about off the top of my head.
Old 09-13-12, 07:36 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Unlike my ES ..there aren't may things that annoy about my RX. But like the ES i just dont like the map/reading light that turns on for both driver and passenger and i wish it had some rear reading lights too..

well about the mpg..well its an SUV so it not going to be that great . However i do get a decent 19.6mpg on i would say 80% city and 20% hwy.
Old 09-13-12, 11:01 PM
Partywave
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cup holders in my 2000 were designed by an idiot that desperately needs to be smacked in the back of the head. They suffice at hold drinks in every direction except right turns when the drinks take a nosedive into the passenger seat. Absolutely unbelievable design flaw!

Then, there's the asinine location of the oil filter underneath the exhaust manifold or header and just out of reach for me regardless of whether I attempt to remove it from above or below.

Oil pan that holds 4-quarts plus that tiny *** oil filter? I used to own a MB ML430 that held over 9-quarts. Perhaps the Mercedes oil pan was unnecessarily large but the RX300's is too small.
Old 09-14-12, 06:12 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Other than the weak transmission I loved my 99RX....
Old 09-14-12, 07:05 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Partywave
The cup holders in my 2000 were designed by an idiot that desperately needs to be smacked in the back of the head. They suffice at hold drinks in every direction except right turns when the drinks take a nosedive into the passenger seat. Absolutely unbelievable design flaw!

Then, there's the asinine location of the oil filter underneath the exhaust manifold or header and just out of reach for me regardless of whether I attempt to remove it from above or below.

Oil pan that holds 4-quarts plus that tiny *** oil filter? I used to own a MB ML430 that held over 9-quarts. Perhaps the Mercedes oil pan was unnecessarily large but the RX300's is too small.
The quantity of cup holders in my 99 RX is better than in my fiance's 06 4Runner, but that's where the it ends.

Agree on oil filter. I've been using a larger K&N HP-2009 over the OEM-sized 1002 model for some years now. The 4Runner V8 we have uses 6.5 quarts, but I've always found the Benzes take way more.
Old 09-14-12, 07:07 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hypervish
Yup, 2k miles. Usually ends being around 2200 miles though. Tell me about it! Price of gas just keeps going up! It really hurts my wallet, especially considering I use 93 octane. I just paid $4.01 for premium, and that's the cheapest rate I could find around here. I normally go to Michigan/Chicago on my road trips and the gas prices are about 30 cents more than here. Ugh, I need a hybrid RX300.
About $4.11 for premium for me and that was at Valero. My fiance and I now carpool and the V8 4Runner stays at home during the week.
Old 09-14-12, 07:07 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by salimshah
Just too many on the road and they go all the way to 1999

My peeve ,,,, turning radius!

Salim
The ultimate pet peeve of this wonderful vehicle.
Old 09-14-12, 09:13 AM
ldfog
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree on the oil filter location as well. My other pet peeve is, because I'm tall, the driver seat doesn't go down far enough for me. I have to lower the seat back for me to see completely out of the window, or I have to tilt my head so it fits in the moon roof opening. Not comfortable at all!
Old 09-14-12, 09:02 PM
SethP
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

oil filter location for sure, turning radius for sure

to add something to the mix, the fact that it's half near impossible to access the rear spark plugs

Quick Reply: Let's nit-pick our RX