RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Got an RX300

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-12, 09:03 AM
PaulDaisy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have finished the first stage of my "300 rescue" mission. A couple of things to report.
The hose in the tranny DIY that has the arrow pointing to it appears to be a wrong one to remove. It is the hose that goes to the cooler, not from the cooler. Once I removed the aft end of the hose, the fluid pumped from the metal tube and all over the place.
The outboard hose needs to be disconnected at its rear end. That is the cooler discharge hose.
My transmission drained 5.5 quarts from the pan, differential and filter. After refilling that and running the engine with the cooler discharge hose removed, it took the total of 11.5 quarts (including the originally drained 5.5) until fresh red ATF started flowing. Up until that time the ATF looked like bad coffee mixed with used engine oil.
There were porcupines on the magnets, and more disturbingly, one flat shard of metal about 1/4"long, 1/16" thick and 1/8" wide. However, overall there is less metal debris than I would have expected from the awful state of the ATF.
It is simply unbelievable what a difference this service made. The truck is now shifting crisply and the sluggish acceleration is gone. The slight whine in second gear at low RPM is gone. The transmission is quieter overall.
This is what an RX300 should be like!
I intend to repeat the process in a few weeks, at which point I will replace the filter again.

P.S. Upon another look, not sure on the cooler line, again. The lines go to and from the A/T and cross over under the front there, so can't claim which one is the true return line.

Last edited by PaulDaisy; 07-22-12 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-22-12, 06:04 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Glad to hear you got the job done. It sounds like the old fluid was just disgusting, so it's good to know there is now fresh fluid in there.

Might I ask what ATF you used?
Old 07-23-12, 07:56 AM
PaulDaisy
Driver School Candidate

I used Castrol Transmax Import Multi-vehicle, the one you recommended. Great combination of price and quality, and I trust Castrol. Plus, it appears it also is Dexron-III compatible so can go into the power steering, one less fluid to keep on hand. I am beginning to get confused with the fluids for the 5 vehicles I am keeping up.
I also bought some 5W-30 Castrol Synthetic and a new Bosch premium filter. I have been using Bosch filters in my three other cars for years and had great results. Of course I never let them run to the point of abuse, so about any premium filter would work just fine.
Old 07-23-12, 11:10 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Awesome, yup that Castrol Transmax IMV works perfect in this application.

Although for Power Steering I would still go with Mobil 1. I've used the Castrol Transmax IMV in my power steering and I don't really like the feel. The Mobil 1 was better, I am going to eventually change the power steering fluid back to Mobil 1.
Old 07-23-12, 01:38 PM
PaulDaisy
Driver School Candidate

Ah. Thanks for the hint! I will do that then. I will only put a wide temperature range synthetic in PS anymore after the cold weather annoyance I mentioned earlier. The PS fluid is quite dark in this 300. The brake fluid is very clear, makes me think someone actually did replace it. Amazing. I initially had a feeling they only replaced oil. Which is a good thing