RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Lexus RX300 2002 85k - Losing 1 quart every 750 miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-12, 11:14 AM
lexus2k2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Lexus RX300 2002 85k - Losing 1 quart every 750 miles

Hi,

I have a Lexus 2002. Got is used in 2006. It had about 30k on it. As you can see I don’t use it much.

Of late I have started to use it a lot. Long story short - engine light coming on for low oil level.

I took it to the Dealer - he did a compression test, kept it overnight to check for oil leaks. Found nothing. Said the only way they can confirm if it is Oil sludge is to open up the engine. And he wants big bucks for it. Either way he says if he does find out it is Oil sludge - I would need a new engine. Come on.

I don’t see any Blue smoke in the morning (I might not be looking right). How do I confirm this ?

I seem to be burning 1quart every 750 miles. I got my old changed and 2200 miles later - dip stick shows dry. I put in three quarts and the level came back up to mid point.

The original Toyota/Lexus Oil sludge settlement was for 8years and 120 days. I am way out of that warranty.

I searched the web and read all about the Lexus Oil sludge issue.

These are my questions :

1) How do I confirm if it is Oil sludge problem or Oil gelling. Oil gelling seems to have a solution - use the Auto-RX (suggested by Lexmex)
2) If it is Oil sludge how long do I have before engine seizes.
3) Is there any other solution other than new engine

anyone - please help. The Lexus itself is in very good condition.

So much for a "lasting" vehicle. My impressions for Lexus are not so great now.
Old 07-14-12, 11:45 AM
lserlohn
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I heard sludge issue, the first thing I did is switch to synthetic oil. It costs more bucks, but prevents from premanent damage.

I am not sure if it is too late to switch to synthetic oil right now .
Old 07-14-12, 12:47 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Even if you don't have sludge, running the RX300 engine 3 quarts low did not do it any good.

It might help to know what kind of mileage it has now, what kind of oil change history it has since you bought it, how much high-speed driving you do, etc.

You might start asking yourself whether or not you would want to have the engine rebuilt (or have a replacment engine put in), if needed.

It shouldn't be that expensive to have somebody pull the valve covers, and then show us the photos.
Old 07-14-12, 02:54 PM
lexus2k2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lserlohn
When I heard sludge issue, the first thing I did is switch to synthetic oil. It costs more bucks, but prevents from premanent damage.

I am not sure if it is too late to switch to synthetic oil right now .
lserlohn - I have switched to Synthetic for the last 4-5 oil changes. That did not seem to have helped.
Old 07-14-12, 03:00 PM
lexus2k2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bob2200
Even if you don't have sludge, running the RX300 engine 3 quarts low did not do it any good.

It might help to know what kind of mileage it has now, what kind of oil change history it has since you bought it, how much high-speed driving you do, etc.

You might start asking yourself whether or not you would want to have the engine rebuilt (or have a replacment engine put in), if needed.

It shouldn't be that expensive to have somebody pull the valve covers, and then show us the photos.
bob2200 -
It has 85k now.
I did my oil change as per mileage - not duration. Since I did not use much - it came to once every 6-8 months. Now I since I use it a lot I change it every 3 months.
Currently I drive 25 miles on the Interstate. Earlier I used to drive very close to the home. Stop and go .. less 5-10 miles each day.

As far as engine replacement - I don't think I would do it. I would rather get a new car.
Old 07-14-12, 03:02 PM
lexus2k2
Driver School Candidate

bob2200 - I'll try to get the pics after pulling the valve covers ... I guess I'll have to go to the mech ..
Old 07-14-12, 07:13 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Once you eliminate real leaks, engine oil gel, you may like to replace the PCV valve.

Salim
Old 07-15-12, 06:59 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Definitely pull the valve covers, and check for sludge.

It sounds like you may have sludge, especially considering the compression is good.

5 to 10 miles is really bad for the engine, because the engine likely doesn't even get to full operating temperature.

I'm sorry but I wouldn't blame this on Lexus. It sounds more like user error. Your driving routine is severe, and it should be treated as such.

Last edited by hypervish; 07-15-12 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-15-12, 08:37 AM
lexus2k2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
Definitely pull the valve covers, and check for sludge.

It sounds like you may have sludge, especially considering the compression is good.

5 to 10 miles is really bad for the engine, because the engine likely doesn't even get to full operating temperature.

I'm sorry but I wouldn't blame this on Lexus. It sounds more like user error. Your driving routine is severe, and it should be treated as such.
hypervish - Are you suggesting that this would happen to any car that is driven 5-10 miles ? If that is the case now my wife has the same schedule and she has a VW Beetle. Weekdays it is drop kids off to day care and back. Occasionally in the weekend's she takes it out for longer rides. This is the same schedule I had with my Lexus RX300.

Should I now be concerned about my VW Beetle ?
Old 07-15-12, 08:38 AM
lexus2k2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Once you eliminate real leaks, engine oil gel, you may like to replace the PCV valve.

Salim
Thanks Salim. I think leak is eliminated. Dealer said so himself.

What does the PCV valve do .. how does the replacement help.
Old 07-15-12, 08:42 AM
lserlohn
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand why Synthetic Oil causes sludge, as it is clearly stated as one of their benefit.

If you can prove you did changed oil at least once a year or 5000 miles, you could file to Lexus headquarter and ask any support.

Originally Posted by lexus2k2
lserlohn - I have switched to Synthetic for the last 4-5 oil changes. That did not seem to have helped.
Old 07-15-12, 10:28 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

I don't think anyone implied that synthetic oil causes sludge??
Old 07-15-12, 10:33 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

hypervish - Are you suggesting that this would happen to any car that is driven 5-10 miles ? If that is the case now my wife has the same schedule and she has a VW Beetle. Weekdays it is drop kids off to day care and back. Occasionally in the weekend's she takes it out for longer rides. This is the same schedule I had with my Lexus RX300.

Should I now be concerned about my VW Beetle ?
I don't think you can say that it will happen on any vehicle for sure. But the short trips make it very susceptible to the issue. The RX is know to be one of the worst for sludge issues, so it's a recipe for disaster. What you need to do to be safe is do your maintenance off the severe schedule. Synthetic with 3k-4k OCI goes a long way toward taking care of the issue all together.
Old 07-15-12, 11:05 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Thanks Salim. I think leak is eliminated. Dealer said so himself.

What does the PCV valve do .. how does the replacement help.
First, I will try to answer your question above and in next para there will be additional comments.

The oil can not simply vanish .... it must leak, condense or burn. Leak has been eliminated I assume you have looked at .. leak on the outside [(drip or evaporate) or mixing with coolant], and the gelling is another word for condensing. Once you go beyond that then we have to ponder on burning. You can have bad rings or bad vale guides and that gets oil into chamber (usually compression test can eliminate that). The other is through the vapor recovery system and oil can get passed through the PCV valve. If you dig up old posts, people have reported this as culprit. Have it checked and I am willing to bet (figuratively) that it will be rusted in your case [if that fixes your problem or not is a different issue].

In your spare time, I would urge you read the owners manual. It has been a while since I read it and if my memory serves me right, you will find statements about short runs. Granted some problems are due to modern exhaust system and emission issues but condensation in the engine block (when oil does not get real hot) can create problems in the long run. A low milage vehicle with short runs may have more problems than a higher milage vehicle which is driven for 20+ minutes each time.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 07-15-12 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-15-12, 02:30 PM
lexus2k2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by carguy07
I don't think you can say that it will happen on any vehicle for sure. But the short trips make it very susceptible to the issue. The RX is know to be one of the worst for sludge issues, so it's a recipe for disaster. What you need to do to be safe is do your maintenance off the severe schedule. Synthetic with 3k-4k OCI goes a long way toward taking care of the issue all together.
The more I think of short trips - I can say that in most small cities and towns the standard drive from home to work is less than 5 miles. The mall is less than 10 miles. I myself lived in Colorado Springs. My apartment then was 3 miles to work. I drove my Nissan Maxima for 5 years without any issues.
Currently I have many friends that drive to the Metra which is often less than 5 miles from house. That is the extent of their daily commute in their car.
In my sub-division there are work-from-home / at-home moms that take their kids to shcool which is again less than 5 miles .

I agree with carguy07 - it might make it susceptible to the sludge issue - more so on the 99-02 Lexus. But to say that is a "user error" would be grossly incorrect.

Quick Reply: Lexus RX300 2002 85k - Losing 1 quart every 750 miles