RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Lexus RX300 2002 85k - Losing 1 quart every 750 miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-13, 01:28 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by xtwister16
So I had the valve cover and PCV valve replaced, but it still seems to be burning oil. Car was left running idle for several hours and half a quart was eaten up. I'll do some driving this week and see if additional oil is eaten up.
Mechanic told me that it probably something about the pistons, which is not worth repairing as it requires taking apart the whole engine. Told me to list it for sale 'as is' as soon as I can.
There's nothing wrong with driving a car that burns oil. Just remember to fill it up. No need to sell it, that is unless there are other motives behind selling it.
Old 10-21-13, 03:39 PM
xtwister16
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hypervish
There's nothing wrong with driving a car that burns oil. Just remember to fill it up. No need to sell it, that is unless there are other motives behind selling it.
Recently, I've been adding oil every time I put gas in the car. I usually add 5 quarts of oil before I pass 2000 miles.
Old 10-21-13, 04:49 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xtwister16
Recently, I've been adding oil every time I put gas in the car. I usually add 5 quarts of oil before I pass 2000 miles.
Oh, ok nvm. That's pretty terrible!
Old 10-21-13, 07:04 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

We need testimony from folks whose oil consumption got fixed by changing the valve cover.

Please post.

Salim
Old 10-22-13, 05:16 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aside from polluting the air and possibly clogging the catalytic convertors, it will not pass emissions inspection in some states. Need more reasons?
Old 10-22-13, 09:17 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kalali
Aside from polluting the air and possibly clogging the catalytic convertors, it will not pass emissions inspection in some states. Need more reasons?
I assure you that if your car is burning that much oil you couldn't care less about emissions.

This is an extreme case of oil burning. Had I known it was this bad, I never would have suggested that.

However, I still stand by my statement. In less severe circumstances, there is nothing wrong with driving a car that burns oil.

Polluting the air, oh please. This is not a Prius.
Old 10-22-13, 09:26 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Everything has a limit, but many car manufacturers wont even give you warranty service if you burn some oil ... what is considered some and what is considered much varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

My personal recommendation for folks who have been contemplating changing the valve cover has been to gather evidence ,,, compression test and leak down test etc. The unfortunate side effect of the 'net is, people assume that if some one tried it, then it aught to work for them too. Then there was the sensational news reporting that added fuel to the fire.

I hope we gather some data as to how many people solved their oil loss problem by changing the valve cover.

Salim
Old 10-22-13, 06:51 PM
FilPilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assure you that if your car is burning that much oil you couldn't care less about emissions.

This is an extreme case of oil burning. Had I known it was this bad, I never would have suggested that.

However, I still stand by my statement. In less severe circumstances, there is nothing wrong with driving a car that burns oil.

Polluting the air, oh please. This is not a Prius.
well said
Old 10-28-13, 10:48 PM
tllee
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that I solved the oil disapear problem but can't tell exactly where is the problem(only can guess)

1. I checked and cleaned the PCV valve,don't put it back yet.
2.Then I use a high pressure air gun blow thru the front intake pipe on the front valve cover,see if you can feel the air come out from PCV valve's sitting hole.
3. If you can't feel any air come out, that mean your PCV system is stuck at some point,try to figure out where and clear it. It should solve the problem.
4. If you feel air come out(my case), pour some marvel mystery oil( any equivalent should be OK,I guess) thru PCV's valve sitting hole and also put about 1 qt (total, include the oil put thru PCV)inside your crank case( make sure you drain some oil,don't overfill). Then put PCV valve back and drive the car as you should.
5. I choose this summer to do this, because the temperature is high enough( I'm in NJ) and I run my car as long as I could(everybody in my house use this car for any errand) everyday and keep A/C on all the time(bring the engine temp. high). If you're located at southern area, you should be able to do this any time you want.
6. After about 3000 miles, I changed my oil. Now my car run 1300 miles since oil changed, oil still on the full mark. I guess that's good enough to share this with you guys.

**My guess is oil flow is not that smooth inside my engine(could be some blockage due to Toyota's flaw design)and pressure is high enough to push some oil thru piston ring and burn it. Fortunately, it's not that serious, the mystery oil cleared it. It's up to you guy take even more drastic step(use strong chemical and run it at high RPM for a longer time as long as it's not hurt your engine), but please justify your case carefully before you do anything like that. I started with Mystery oil and it's came thru for me. I would take strong measure if my first try not work.
Old 10-29-13, 08:11 AM
Z07
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just adding another data point. A "short trip" as referred to in many tech write-ups and manuals has nothing what-so-ever to do with the distance the car moves. It has to do with this: Does the oil get hot enough to drive off the water and fuel that are present in the oil? and Does the oil have time to circulate completely at its normal operating viscosity and temp after the contamination is gone?

So a 454 chevy with a high capacity oil pan and external oil cooler would have a very different "short trip" than a 250cc Honda Rebel motorcycle.

Cheers!
Old 10-29-13, 01:54 PM
d72polara
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok...I saw a 7 page thread and was curious to read through it.....how does it end? Lexus2k2 never followed up? Did his oil consumption go away?
Old 11-09-13, 05:38 PM
Larry62
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My oil burning issue on my 2000 RX 300 was resolved by replacing the newer generation rear valve cover I was using a qt every 750 miles.Now I use a "smidge" between changes every 3000mi. I am running Pennziol Ultra synthetic for its cleaning ability.
The following users liked this post:
disarmed (06-26-18)