RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-12, 06:41 PM
mesostinky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!

I sincerely apologize for the caps but I may have a serious problem here. I purchased an OBD2 scanner, the OBDlink SX from
Amazon Amazon
It's an ODB2 to usb scanner for using on a computer. The chipset in it is from FTDI and it is supposedly much better and faster than scanners that use the old ELM chipset.

I've used a handheld scanner before just messing around but not a computer one and not on this car. So I'm basically familiar with what they do and the types of things you can read on them.

About an 45 minutes ago I hooked it up to my 2002 RX300. I didn't have any codes so I just browsed a bit and looked at the live data. I then heard some odd clunking noises coming from behind the radio kind of like the Vent system changing positions so I disconnected the scanner. It sounded like the vent system but kind of different. I'm not exactly sure what it was. Running the AC in the vent position only did NOT stop the crazy mechanical sounds. Having the AC system off did NOT stop the sounds.

Now the sounds are CONSTANT and very noisy and I am seriously worried something is completely messed up.

So I turned off the car and have unplugged the battery. I'm going to wait 15 minutes and pray to God that the vents or whatever have stopped freaking out.

Does anyone have any advice or has anyone heard of this happening???
Old 06-26-12, 07:01 PM
mesostinky
Driver School Candidate

No go. Let it disconnected for 25 minutes and its still going crazy definitely sounds like the AC system Vents are constantly changing. Can't get it to stop!
Old 06-26-12, 07:08 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

It sounds coincidental. It's likely one of the servo's. If you run a search on here, I believe there is a thread on how to determine exactly which servo is making noises.
Old 06-26-12, 07:27 PM
mesostinky
Driver School Candidate

Thanks hypervish. I've done a little net searching and someone mentioned RX's sometimes have the servo's go bad. I'll look into that. I wouldn't be so freaked out if the car wasn't needed for an important trip for tomorrow.

So tomorrow the car is going to the garage and I guess I'll be renting a car. Couldn't stand to drive with the vents constantly making that noise and cycling over and over. Even when turned completely off something still moved around a few times before it settled down.
Old 06-26-12, 09:10 PM
mesostinky
Driver School Candidate

Well it might have stopped for now. I went out again and started it, and it made the sounds for 30 seconds and then stopped. I recorded what I could of the noise

After it stopped making noise I drove the car around for 30 minutes while cycling the system from Vent to Floor to Defrost etc. So far the sound hasn't returned.... But knowing my luck it will be there tomorrow morning.

I looked at the servo removal process and that's above my head. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...vo-motors.html

So definitely pray for me that the problem magically fixed itself.
Old 06-27-12, 04:10 AM
dbui
Driver

Yup the video sound like servo alright! my is the same sound. 1st it starts to make little noise here and there, it driving me crazy but after awhile you get use to it. Anyway the only solution is to replacing it. Just a head up the problem will not fixed itself or go away until you replace the parts.
Old 06-27-12, 05:11 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by dbui
Yup the video sound like servo alright! my is the same sound. 1st it starts to make little noise here and there, it driving me crazy but after awhile you get use to it. Anyway the only solution is to replacing it. Just a head up the problem will not fixed itself or go away until you replace the parts.
X2 sounds just like mine has for years, no rush to fix it. It won't hurt anything.
Old 06-27-12, 05:31 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

X3, mine has been doing it for about a year now. Luckily mine only makes noise during the summer though. Whenever I run the heat, (winter time), the noise disappears.

I don't really plan on fixing mine, just crank up the music!! LOL That's what I do!
Old 06-27-12, 08:11 AM
mesostinky
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate it. Shockingly it was actually quiet this morning but I'm certainly not calling it fixed. It's just good to know it's not a more serious safety issue etc which you don't want to have to worry about on a 4 hour trip.
Old 06-27-12, 09:37 AM
01rxwhite
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X4 on the air / whatever servos. My first one was replaced years ago before 100k on my 01. Now it is making noise again over 200k. Just not as loud yet. You probably just never noticed it before over the radio. Like hypervish said, crank up the radio/CD. Take it on the trip, it won't hurt anything, just annoying. One day when I have time, I'll replace it when it gets annoying enough.