RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Changed my plugs, got 2 codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-12, 03:41 PM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy Changed my plugs, got 2 codes

After putting in new plugs, I drove for about 6-8 miles, and then get a CEL.

Had the codes pulled and I have P1130 & P1150.

Any thoughts or things to look for?

I did a search, just wondering if everyone with those codes ended up changing out both O2 sensors?...or did they find any other problems?

Last edited by defo; 06-25-12 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-25-12, 04:43 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

O2 sensors for me, might just be a coincidence. Are they coming right back after you clear them?
Old 06-26-12, 01:26 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by defo
After putting in new plugs, I drove for about 6-8 miles, and then get a CEL.

Had the codes pulled and I have P1130 & P1150.

Any thoughts or things to look for?

I did a search, just wondering if everyone with those codes ended up changing out both O2 sensors?...or did they find any other problems?
You'd probably have a better chance of winning the lottery than both A/F sensors going out at the same time just after you changed the plugs. Did you use anything in the intake BEFORE you changed the plugs? Any type of cleaner or anything AT ALL on the plugs or ingested into the engine? A lot of people don't realize that you can contaminate the sensors with a number of things that can potentionally pass over the sensors and polute (read destroy) them. I would suggest cancelling out the DTC's and see if they come back. If you do this a couple of times and they keepcoming back, I would give consideration to the things I've said. New sensors MAY cure the problem, but I still say WAAAAY too much of a coincidence for them to have failed simultaneously without any outside influence.
Old 06-26-12, 09:15 AM
defo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by code58
You'd probably have a better chance of winning the lottery than both A/F sensors going out at the same time just after you changed the plugs. Did you use anything in the intake BEFORE you changed the plugs? Any type of cleaner or anything AT ALL on the plugs or ingested into the engine? A lot of people don't realize that you can contaminate the sensors with a number of things that can potentionally pass over the sensors and polute (read destroy) them. I would suggest cancelling out the DTC's and see if they come back. If you do this a couple of times and they keepcoming back, I would give consideration to the things I've said. New sensors MAY cure the problem, but I still say WAAAAY too much of a coincidence for them to have failed simultaneously without any outside influence.
Yeah, I thought the same thing...too strange for both to go out at the same time....according to the Autozone print outs, there are a few other times that can cause those 2 codes...."fuel pump, injector or pressure regulator fault" and "vacuum leak on engine".
Either of those would make more sense to have both sensors throwing AF codes at the same time.

I am going to pull the plastic engine cover and check to make sure I did not 'knock off a vacuum line' or anything else. The Autozone guy that did the scan also stated that a crushed/crimped fuel return line has been the cause of those codes on other vehicles....but I believe we have hard pipe fuel lines and I'm certain I would have known if I damaged something like that.

Also going to dump in a can of injector cleaner, as that seemed to work for another forum member.
Old 06-26-12, 09:25 AM
01rxwhite
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

defo, when you check to hoses for a vacuum leak, make sure you connected the one behind air filter box extending down to a metal tube between the box and firewall. It extends out of the intake around or below the MAF. I left mine off once and got some codes. That little hose is easy to overlook.
Old 06-26-12, 11:58 AM
defo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 01rxwhite
defo, when you check to hoses for a vacuum leak, make sure you connected the one behind air filter box extending down to a metal tube between the box and firewall. It extends out of the intake around or below the MAF. I left mine off once and got some codes. That little hose is easy to overlook.
Thanks, I'll check that one too, I did not take that one off, but it could have come out....although I believe that vacuum line will throw a P0440 or P0441 code.