RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Gear Shift problem even after new transaxle

Old 06-07-12, 08:45 AM
ecoastkid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpvoid
Do you have data regarding standard setting for gear shift w.r.to. vehicle speed for RX300.
not sure what you meant by w.r.to.

yes i do shift to neutral. otherwise with brakes rpm is 1000
and it never comes down from 1000? if you just leave it in d when stopping at say, a traffic light? Thats def weird
Old 06-07-12, 10:38 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Did you try cleaning the transmission speed sensors? Although if they were replaced, or new with the trans, they should be fine.
Old 06-07-12, 11:08 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

My guesses are ...

Originally Posted by ecoastkid
not sure what you meant by w.r.to.

with respect to

and it never comes down from 1000? if you just leave it in d when stopping at say, a traffic light? Thats def weird
definitely

Salim
Old 06-07-12, 11:37 AM
ecoastkid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
My guesses are ...

definitely

Salim
Thanks Salim..

To anwser the first question. I do not have any specifics on how they calculate their shift points but they generally base this off alot of variables. ie. Load, thorttle position, RPM, etc...

My knowlege of the ecu and its functions comes from tuning my race truck and some other cars. Each manufacture doesn't reinvent the wheel.
Old 06-09-12, 04:17 AM
jpvoid
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys,
I checked with the dealer. they say that they hav changed all the solenoids. so let me hope that sticky solenoid problem is ruled out.

No ECL , so electronic circuit is ok

exhaust system seems ok

that leaves engine? I changed engine mounting blocks and found hesitation in gear shift reduced considerably. but problem s still there. I see some minor oil leak from engine- may be this is the symptom of engine problem.
Old 06-09-12, 05:43 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

The gear shift problem from 2nd to 3rd is in detail:

Up to 2nd gear the change is normal. After 2nd when the throttle is pressed more then the gear doesn't shift upwards till much higher rpm (3500-4000 rpm) then with hesitation it goes to 3rd gear and engine rpm comes down to 2500-2750 for 50mph speed. downward shift does not have any hesitation.
most important, when engine is cold, the gear shifting is very much smooth. The problem aggravates after driving for sometime.

Problem was already there before transaxel change. I always thought and mechanics told me that this problem is related to Tranny. but i found that it is something else (after a deep hole in pocket).
This sounds like what happened to me when I forgot to attach the ground cable. The RX would go into 3rd only after the rpms reached around 4k, and then it would slam into gear.

I suggest you talk to the mechanic, and see if he can find a ground cable that he may have forgotten to re-attach.
Old 06-09-12, 06:14 AM
CharBaby
Rookie

Although smooth/quiet, my '01 RX Awd engine feels a bit "lathargic" and lazy as the OP's.
My 1-2 shift is long(ish) but the other gear changes are OK. At only 78 K miles, the engine doesn't have the scoot it did when new. This RX used to really move well. Now, it just kind of loafs around.

When the engine is just started/cold, and putting the shifter into drive, the 1-2 shift is really drawn out and then very, very smoothly(like a rubber band in slow motion) shifts into 2nd gear. I may be exagerating this a bit to make a point. And it does get better when the engine is warmed up. But after each stop(stop light/stop sign) and taking off again, the 1-2 shift is always longish. Not crisp shifting as with WOT.

The seat of the pants feel that I experience is similar to watching an air bag test in slow motion. Nothing is harsh and the tranny never BANGS into gear. It's just kinda Blaaaaaah! Always been this way. Well, after warranty anyway!

Another area that I feel that the engine is lacking power is, on the hiwy. When cruising @ hiwy spds, and doing a WOT downshift, although the engine is smooth and the tranny is resopnsive, there just seems to be little power/speed as there once was. It's just kinda...smooth/quiet engine, nice rev, responsive downshift from the tranny to 3rd or 2nd gear and not much passing power as though the engine isn't breathing well like when a person takes a Deeeeeep Breath.

Yes, my airfilter is clean and there are no restrictions, Could it be the VVT-i ?
Old 06-11-12, 07:09 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

^^ The only time my now RX330 or my previous 01 ran anemic like that, is when I tried 87 Octane fuel. Other wise they both run very well.
Old 06-11-12, 08:30 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by CharBaby
Although smooth/quiet, my '01 RX Awd engine feels a bit "lathargic" and lazy as the OP's.
My 1-2 shift is long(ish) but the other gear changes are OK. At only 78 K miles, the engine doesn't have the scoot it did when new. This RX used to really move well. Now, it just kind of loafs around.

When the engine is just started/cold, and putting the shifter into drive, the 1-2 shift is really drawn out and then very, very smoothly(like a rubber band in slow motion) shifts into 2nd gear. I may be exagerating this a bit to make a point. And it does get better when the engine is warmed up. But after each stop(stop light/stop sign) and taking off again, the 1-2 shift is always longish. Not crisp shifting as with WOT.

The seat of the pants feel that I experience is similar to watching an air bag test in slow motion. Nothing is harsh and the tranny never BANGS into gear. It's just kinda Blaaaaaah! Always been this way. Well, after warranty anyway!

Another area that I feel that the engine is lacking power is, on the hiwy. When cruising @ hiwy spds, and doing a WOT downshift, although the engine is smooth and the tranny is resopnsive, there just seems to be little power/speed as there once was. It's just kinda...smooth/quiet engine, nice rev, responsive downshift from the tranny to 3rd or 2nd gear and not much passing power as though the engine isn't breathing well like when a person takes a Deeeeeep Breath.

Yes, my airfilter is clean and there are no restrictions, Could it be the VVT-i ?
Having put my RX300 on the drag strip, I have never found the strength of this vehicle to be it's low end, and most of the time (unless I had a good reaction at the light, which I usually did), found the other vehicle taking off faster, but eventually the RX300's strength on the high end let me pull ahead of my competitor to victory. I probably got my low end as modified as I can given what I had in terms of resources available to me.

Nothing is ever as good as it is new, but I will take the RX300 and its few issues that I encounter over a lot of other horror stories that I have heard with other vehicles.
Old 06-11-12, 09:19 AM
ecoastkid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
This sounds like what happened to me when I forgot to attach the ground cable. The RX would go into 3rd only after the rpms reached around 4k, and then it would slam into gear.

I suggest you talk to the mechanic, and see if he can find a ground cable that he may have forgotten to re-attach.
This is an interesting post.

Perhaps this ground has been missing/broken since the first transmission.

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Having put my RX300 on the drag strip,
Very cool. Whats your best et?
Old 06-11-12, 01:49 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ecoastkid
This is an interesting post.

Perhaps this ground has been missing/broken since the first transmission.

Very cool. Whats your best et?
Well, it was at high altitude, about 7400 feet in Mexico City and a 17.931, but the first few times I ran my RX300 stock and it ran between 19.2 to 19.6
Old 06-11-12, 02:10 PM
CharBaby
Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by lexus114
^^ The only time my now RX330 or my previous 01 ran anemic like that, is when I tried 87 Octane fuel. Other wise they both run very well.
Hi Lexus114,

Yes, I have been using higher octane(typicaly 91/93) depending on the station.
Believe it or not, the engine feels a bit more snappy on lower octane especily 89 octane and my MPG is the(most recently) best on the 89 and then 93 is 2nd best and the 87 is the(if you want to call it bad), the worst!

But overall the engine is smooth/quiet w/ decent MPG and well, SNAPPY is about all I can call the extra giddy-up.

Typicaly I feel no differences with the different octanes wheather I'm cruising or nailing the throttle.
Old 06-12-12, 12:32 AM
jpvoid
Driver School Candidate

RX300 on Drag strip....it's kool.
Old 06-12-12, 05:01 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

RX300 on Drag strip....it's kool.
I don't do it anymore. One major reason is that we don't have a 1/4 mile strip here (have to go to West Palm), but 1/8 mile tracks here don't do justice to the RX300's better upper end.
Old 06-12-12, 06:46 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

I don't do it anymore. One major reason is that we don't have a 1/4 mile strip here (have to go to West Palm), but 1/8 mile tracks here don't do justice to the RX300's better upper end.

Good ole variable valve timing! You can really feel it on the highway.