RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Was warned NOT to change my Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-12, 01:07 PM
mesostinky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was warned NOT to change my Transmission Fluid

I have a 2002 RX 300 ~95,000mi and called around to gets some quotes on:

Transmission Fluid and Filter change

Front Diff fluid change

Transfer case fluid change

I just had the 90k service done at ~95k and also had the rear diff done at same time(was supposed to do front diff at the same time but that's another story).

Anyway my Lexus dealer specifically said Not to change the Auto Transmission Fluid and Filter because it was supposed to be done every 30k and if you've never done it before to not do it. He said several times now they've changed the fluid for the first time at higher mileages and then not long after the transmission fails. He thinks its because of the way the old and new fluids mix.

I called another mechanic who has a good reputation that I was thinking of trying out and he said the same thing, although worded less strongly. He just said yes it does definitely happen but wouldn't weigh in either way as to if he thought changing the Auto Trans fluid was a good idea or not in my situation. He agreed that its the old and new fluid mixing which can cause big problems.

So basically that leaves me on clueless island... Any thoughts???
Old 06-05-12, 05:55 PM
bcg02
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Check the color. If its a dull , dark red...do a drain and refill.

Do not do a flush under any circumstance. There is a DIY for drain and refill on here, very easy job. Use Toyota TIV Fluid only.
Old 06-05-12, 06:21 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Change is fine, flush is bad.

Leave any bad things where they've come to rest. Don't stir the pot, IOW.

The "lifetime" fluid really should be changed every 20K-30K, I don't care what they say.
Old 06-05-12, 06:24 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

If you do believe the story, you can do few oz at a time by sucking out of the dip stick.

Salim
Old 06-05-12, 07:50 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

The dealer's advice is partly correct........... and partly incorrect! Burned fluid needs to be changed and the best way to do this, as others have said, is a drain and fill. You probably don't need the transmission filter changed. Flushing (which many independents do) is BAD.
Old 06-06-12, 03:43 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I agree with the others. Drain and fill is safe.
Old 06-06-12, 05:22 AM
dbui
Driver

drain and fill every 15k-20k used Toyota TIV Fluid only, don't flush! DIY easy to do.
Old 06-06-12, 08:02 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

My 05 RX is at my dealer right now. I asked them to change the trans fluid and filter (due to not having enough time) Well, I guess I have to make time, because they told me they only drain/fill. They dont change the filter.
Old 06-06-12, 09:15 AM
ecoastkid
Driver School Candidate

I personally dont subscribe to this line of thinking. (Obviously its not in line with what seems to the be concensus on thie forum but I through it my 2 cents for you to chew on)

I think most people sense something is wrong with their transmission and then try to fix it by doing the long overdue maintence. Then they are shocked when it lets loose shortly after. I always have my transmissions flushed at a dealer when I need it done (Its basicly the only thing I have done at a dealer). Never had a problem. Infact, my 99 expedition had a transmission shudder fixed by the flush because of the better anti-shudder qualitys of the new style fluid.
Old 06-06-12, 11:07 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

I am curious as to what all of you are referring to when you say flush. The Toyota dealership and the local Jiffy Lube both use something called T-Tech. This uses the transmissions own pump to remove the fluid and replace it. The unit does not even have a pump. No increase in internal pressure is obtained and the fluid always goes in the direction it would under normal operation. This method removes all the fluid and replaces with new. There is no one I have found that does a flush. This device apparently is being used by many dealerships and is not causing any problems like stirring up debris. Why would this be bad to do it with the transmissions own pump?
Old 06-06-12, 02:53 PM
mesostinky
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll check the fluid right now and see how it looks.

Edit:

Just checked it. It's a good pink color with no particles or anything.

There's no way it would be pink if it had never been done before on a 95k suv right?

Last edited by mesostinky; 06-06-12 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-06-12, 04:09 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by mesostinky
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll check the fluid right now and see how it looks.

Edit:

Just checked it. It's a good pink color with no particles or anything.

There's no way it would be pink if it had never been done before on a 95k suv right?
If it looks like cough syrup, it has been done at least once.
Old 06-07-12, 03:54 PM
mesostinky
Driver School Candidate

Update way more confusion reigns:

Had it in for service today. I just told him to do Front diff and Transfer case while I held off on the Auto trans fluid since it looked perfect. That seemed to me logical since at the time I didn't know anything interconnected.

He did the service and when I went to pick it up he said he couldn't do the transfer case change because on this particular model the Transfer case and Transmisson share the same fluid reservoir and since I decided to hold off on the Transmission fluid change that he couldn't do the Transfer case change.

Now I'm reading these other threads and seeing conflicting information. They say the Front diff and Tranny share fluid NOT the transfercase and transmission fluid sharing like he said. He said he even called a Trans only shop to verify he was correct. Now what the heck exactly would have occurred if he did "just" the front diff fluid? Again its a 2002 RX AWD.

Threads which says the opposite of the mechanic
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...sfer-case.html

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=70477

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...sfer-case.html
Old 06-07-12, 04:14 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

On this car technically you have a "trans-axle" which houses the transmission and front differential. They both share the same ATF. You also have a "transfer case" that sends the power to to back wheels, it uses gear oil. The rear differential uses gear oil too.

If he had done the front diff, most of the tranny fluid would have drained out too.
Old 06-07-12, 04:21 PM
mesostinky
Driver School Candidate

THanks for the response. So I guess I just have to assume that he put the correct amount of fluid back in so that they both have enough fluid? Although from what he said he 100% thinks that the front diff has nothing to do with the transmission. I'm really really regretting taking the suv there. And this is a guy who does a lot of suvs and also trucks/plows.

Quick Reply: Was warned NOT to change my Transmission Fluid