RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

1999 RX with transmission issues.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-12, 05:07 PM
gulfjoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 RX with transmission issues.

I want to run something by some of you gurus before I go Insane. I have 99 RX300 front wheel drive that I had the tranny rebuilt on 8000 miles ago. I went to a shop that had good internet reviews, and since I was new to the area that's all I really had to go on. All that I really know what was done is what is on the receipt which says "New Rebuilt Torque Converter and Custom rebuilt transmission". After I sent it back to shop 3 different times within 2 weeks of having it done, it drove like a dream for roughly 8000 miles. Now I am where I am today, sent back to the shop for the 5th total time. He keeps telling me he is messing with the valve body and now he said it is because I had 3 bad transmission mounts. So after doing some research and letting a mechanic buddy look at it, we replaced a bad torque strut mount and a rear motor mount. The car is still shifting like it has a shift kit from a TH400 installed in it and it has pretty loud clunk when you put it in reverse, but no where near as bad as it was before the replacement of the mounts. We verified that the transmission mount was good and the front motor mount was good. I am taking it back to the transmission shop for the 6th time tomorrow. I personally think this guy put a "junkyard" transmission in the car and didn't get his warranty out of it and is trying to band aid fix it till the warranty runs out. Any ideas or suggestions of what this might be would be awesome.
The car now has 175,000 miles on it.
Old 05-30-12, 07:31 PM
RXdriver11
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you by chance ask him to see the old parts that he took out? When I had mine done a few years back I made sure I checked to see every gear that was changed so I knew he wasnt trying to pull a fast one on me.
Old 05-30-12, 08:40 PM
lserlohn
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This type of transmission is hard to be rebuilt by individual shops, unless they have experience on it. That is why I suggest to order a remanufactured transmission online with 3 years warranty, and only ask local shops to install it.

I think you should ask them to pay money back, since they haven't done the job.
Old 05-30-12, 08:45 PM
lserlohn
Pole Position

By the way, when engine is hot, I got clunk too when put in reverse. I have heard that it is common for a Toyota 4AT, not sure if others have the same symptom.
Old 05-31-12, 02:39 AM
gulfjoe
Driver School Candidate

Did not ask to see the parts. That is my mistake, It is going back to his shop this afternoon. We will see what he has to say about it now. Luckily I bough my wife a new car so i am in no hurry to get it back this time.
Old 05-31-12, 10:44 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by lserlohn
By the way, when engine is hot, I got clunk too when put in reverse. I have heard that it is common for a Toyota 4AT, not sure if others have the same symptom.
The noise may or may not indicate a problem ... but on a flat level surface, I do not get any clunk sound.

Salim
Old 05-31-12, 11:03 AM
gulfjoe
Driver School Candidate

Well i am going to have to see what this scum bag transmission guy has to say today. I will fill you guys in later.
Old 05-31-12, 11:38 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Keep in mind the idle speed is very important .... if it is high then it can cause a clunk. Also there is a range of sound/lurch that can fall under "normal".

I have very little experience with the transmission and our resident expert is Thomas2. Hopefully he can post (or you can pm him) about reflashing the ecu after transmission service. I have come across posts that mention it, but I am not sure if you have to take it to the dealership for reflash the ECU after transmission service.

Salim
Old 05-31-12, 03:02 PM
lserlohn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
The noise may or may not indicate a problem ... but on a flat level surface, I do not get any clunk sound.

Salim
the clunk seems coming from rear of the truck. it happens when I switch from D to R or P to R. I am not sure if the U-joint is going bad.

Mine is AWD

Last edited by lserlohn; 05-31-12 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-31-12, 03:12 PM
gulfjoe
Driver School Candidate

front wheel drive truck. no U joints
Old 05-31-12, 03:14 PM
gulfjoe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Keep in mind the idle speed is very important .... if it is high then it can cause a clunk. Also there is a range of sound/lurch that can fall under "normal".

I have very little experience with the transmission and our resident expert is Thomas2. Hopefully he can post (or you can pm him) about reflashing the ecu after transmission service. I have come across posts that mention it, but I am not sure if you have to take it to the dealership for reflash the ECU after transmission service.

Salim
Idle speed OK.