RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Time for New Springs with Struts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-12, 10:44 AM
jghall
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for New Springs with Struts?

I have a 1999 RX 300 with 275,000 miles. I am the second owner since 30,000 miles and to my knowledge, the struts have never been replaced. I am planning to replace them and was wandering whether there was any need to consider replacing the springs at the same time or do those never wear out?
Old 05-26-12, 02:07 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Unless the springs have sagged (abnormally low ride height), there is no need to change them. Springs don't "wear out" but if they've been stretched or compressed beyond their elastic limit, they don't return to their correct length.
Old 05-28-12, 09:56 AM
jghall
Driver School Candidate

Thank You - that is what I thought but wanted to get additional input.
Old 05-28-12, 06:45 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Be sure to use OE, not aftermarket (e.g. KYB), strut mounts.
Old 05-29-12, 10:47 AM
jghall
Driver School Candidate

Yes I have read that on this forum...However, I am a bit confused about exactly which OEM parts I need. I have looked at www.mylexparts.com and found parts diagrams and lists for front and rear suspension. On the front, I can see needing to replace the Bumper (8), the dust cover (9), upper seat (11), and mount plate (12). Do I need to replace the upper support (Part 14 - the very top piece which has the three bolts that stick up through the engine compartment)? Same thing on the rear: I can see replacing the strut cover (17), strut collar (18), Bumper (21), and Insulator (23). But what about the Support (19 - again the top piece with the three bolts)?
Old 05-29-12, 01:09 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by jghall
Yes I have read that on this forum...However, I am a bit confused about exactly which OEM parts I need. I have looked at www.mylexparts.com and found parts diagrams and lists for front and rear suspension. On the front, I can see needing to replace the Bumper (8), the dust cover (9), upper seat (11), and mount plate (12). Do I need to replace the upper support (Part 14 - the very top piece which has the three bolts that stick up through the engine compartment)? Same thing on the rear: I can see replacing the strut cover (17), strut collar (18), Bumper (21), and Insulator (23). But what about the Support (19 - again the top piece with the three bolts)?
Yes. These supports usually fail before the strut does. KYB struts are OE quality (at least the ones made in Japan are). But, as was already mentioned, KYB strut mounts suck. Definitely replace the front strut mount bearings. They are serviceable if you want to save a few $$$, but you will probably do this job only once so why not do it right?
Old 05-29-12, 01:45 PM
jghall
Driver School Candidate

Atter further thought, with 275,000 miles and never having replaced the shocks, I am leaning towards replacing everything but the springs. Will use KYB GR-2 shocks and OE mounts, supports, dust covers, bumpers, insulators, seats, etc....Ordered the KYB shocks from Advance Auto Parts online with a $50 discount and free shipping - total of $592.74. OE items really add up! Called my local Lexus dealer and they quoted me ~$800 before tax. I can order online at www.mylexusparts.com for $690.25 before tax and free shipping. Guess I know what I am doing this coming weekend!
Old 05-29-12, 02:06 PM
jghall
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by artbuc
Yes. These supports usually fail before the strut does. KYB struts are OE quality (at least the ones made in Japan are). But, as was already mentioned, KYB strut mounts suck. Definitely replace the front strut mount bearings. They are serviceable if you want to save a few $$$, but you will probably do this job only once so why not do it right?
Thanks for the quick reply.....When I look at the front suspension parts diagram, I don't see one actually called " strut mount bearing". Are you referring to the Mount Plate (Item #12) which fits between the Upper Seat (11) and the Support (14)?
Attached Thumbnails Time for New Springs with Struts?-8912165.gif  
Old 05-29-12, 04:23 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by jghall
Thanks for the quick reply.....When I look at the front suspension parts diagram, I don't see one actually called " strut mount bearing". Are you referring to the Mount Plate (Item #12) which fits between the Upper Seat (11) and the Support (14)?
Yes. I would not buy OEM rubber parts. Are you sure you need new bumpers, etc? Also, if you search here you will see a slick trick innovated by LexMex using plastic hose on the bottom first turn of the spring to substitute for item #13. Dirt cheap, works much better than specified rubber cushion.

Last edited by artbuc; 05-29-12 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-29-12, 07:41 PM
RXdriver11
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude get the kyb struts on ebay. Ordered mine about 6 months ago and paid $420 shipped. And the new style that comes powdered black are so sexy. If you do them yourself you can repaint your coils to really add some style in the fender wells.
Old 05-30-12, 06:59 AM
bufferdan
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

http://apxautoparts.com/apx/1999-200...super-set.html
Old 05-30-12, 07:17 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my KYB struts on ebay too....cheaper than anyone else I could find. And I did use Lexmex plastic hose! The ride on my lexus was amazing even compared with a new RX!
Old 05-31-12, 03:52 PM
NJerseyDan
Driver School Candidate

I bought mine on RockAuto.com Price was around $400 for the struts, before shipping. Then around $50 each for the strut mounts. But hey, Don't get the Monroe strut mounts. I did, and they squeak when it's cold out!!
Old 06-04-12, 05:40 AM
bufferdan
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Or you could spend less than $400 and get the whole package i linked above. I just did these to my 200k mile RX and it feels great. I mean ultimately how many more miles are you going to see out of your vehicle???
Old 06-16-12, 02:38 PM
jghall
Driver School Candidate

Well I had to split the job up over two weekends because one of the rear mounts did not come in with the rest of my parts. Got the front struts done last saturday and did the rear ones today. All four were shot, but the left rear was especially bad (no resistance on the piston and the bumper was total gone along with the dust cover).

I went with the KYB shocks and replaced all the rubber insulators, bumpers, dust covers, mounts, bearings (front), etc. with OEM parts. Definitely an expensive package and I know I could have gone with cheaper parts; but I feel so much better now that this is done. Makes a huge difference in the ride, stability, and handling! Almost like new!

Now I need new tires and then I will do an alignment. Does the FWD RX call for a 4-wheel alignment or just the front?

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this thread. I really appreciate the advice and helpful info on this forum.

Quick Reply: Time for New Springs with Struts?