RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

How far down should E-brake go?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-12, 06:55 AM
stacydl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How far down should E-brake go?

Hi. New to Lexus forum, but not forums in general. Just picked up a 2001 RX300 and so far love it. Toyota dealer obviously put new pads on, but brakes still feel mushy, and E-brake doesn't hold it when I put it in drive(like all my other cars will do). I have it mashed to the floor. My concern is not simply adjusting the cable, but rather should they have replaced rotors also, and not just "most likely turned them". Recomendations?

I was thinking of taking it to Lexus for a cursory check to keep Toyota honest.

P.S., lots of rgeat DIY's and posts, thanks, as I have been busy reading them.
Old 05-26-12, 10:28 AM
txt
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If brakes feel mushy after new pads, maybe there's air in the brake lines. A brake fluid flush should purge the air.
The E-brakes may also need adjustment.

Did you take it back to the selling dealer and show them the problem ?

Last edited by txt; 05-26-12 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-27-12, 10:00 AM
ricco750
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by stacydl
Hi. New to Lexus forum, but not forums in general. Just picked up a 2001 RX300 and so far love it. Toyota dealer obviously put new pads on, but brakes still feel mushy, and E-brake doesn't hold it when I put it in drive(like all my other cars will do). I have it mashed to the floor. My concern is not simply adjusting the cable, but rather should they have replaced rotors also, and not just "most likely turned them". Recomendations?

I was thinking of taking it to Lexus for a cursory check to keep Toyota honest.

P.S., lots of rgeat DIY's and posts, thanks, as I have been busy reading them.
The "mushy" brakes, and the e-brake travel are separate issues. The e-brake contacts the inside of the rotor hub, and the fix is most likely an easy adjustment of the e-brake cable. The adjuster is under the drivers side of the car, easily adjusted without having to raise the car. The e-brake cable is correctly adjusted when you can press the pedal down with 5-7 "clicks", and the brake firmly holds.

As far as the mushy brakes, do you know if the new pads were properly "burned in" after the install? This procedure is generally accelerating to about 50mph, then FIRMLY slowing down to about 5-10 mph (don't stop completely), driving another mile or two, and repeating the process 8-10 times. If this does not help, bleeding is the likely solution. As long as the rotors were in proper specs before they were turned, they should not be the problem.
Old 05-29-12, 07:34 AM
stacydl
Driver School Candidate

I guess I just have higher standards than the Toyota dealer we purchased it from...... All is within "spec".. I think they turned the rotors and put new pads on. Next brake job I will throw new rotors on. Thanks for the responses.
Old 06-09-12, 06:32 AM
CharBaby
Rookie

I just replaced my Parking Brakes system(cables and everything including the new shoes/spring kit)

5-7 clicks is the norm but, there is a procedure for adjusting the Parking Brakes.

The cable(s) need to be loose(drooping a bit) at the "Equalizer". The parking brake shoes need to be adjusted inside the rotor durm(s) till they touch/rub. The procedure mentions to..."adjust the shoes til the rotors can't move and then backoff several clicks. 1 or 2 clicks, In My Honest/Humble Opinion

Then adjust the cables under the driveside at the "Equalizer" until the brakes hold the vehicle. There should be 5-7 clicks at the PBrake lever(foot pedal) although 8-9 clicks is OK, IMHO! Takes a little bit of playing with it but, you can do it !

Just make sure that the cables are lose and the PBrakes are free. Make your adj @ the shoes 1st !!! Very important. Yes, they should rub inside their drum!