RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 randomly dies on me... fuel pump? injectors? plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-12, 06:55 PM
Leolo007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX300 randomly dies on me... fuel pump? injectors? plugs?

Hello I'll try to be brief and precise.

Its a 2002 RX300 nearing 130k miles. I bought it with 85k miles. My mechanic told me he researched its history report and it showed that the engine was replaced at 65k miles under warranty so I assume a new engine was put in, Im guessing current engine should have around 65k miles.

A few months back the car didnt want to start, it turned over fine but just wouldnt start. All of a sudden it started and ran with no issue. I didnt give it much thought.

It did it again a few weeks back, again it started after a few tries, this time I started to worry.

Yesterday I was at a stop light when I took my foot off the brake the RX didnt move, like it normally would considering its on a flat road, I had to press the gas pedal in order to make it move, it felt weak. Then it ran fine.

This morning it wouldnt start again. I started it with my foot on the gas and it ran until I let go off the gas pedal and it died. I tried a few times and it started with gas but everytime I let go of the gas pedal it died. Suddenly on a 4th or 5th attempt it started and has run fine all day.

No check engine light ever. although light does work.

So what do you guys think?

Im thinking fuel pump and/or filter? Maybe injectors? I replaced spark plugs recently but the first time this happened was before the new plugs.

Thanks in advanced!!
Old 05-21-12, 07:04 PM
Leolo007
Driver School Candidate

Another detail that I forgot to mention...

My dear wife filled the tank up with diesel about a year and a half ago and ran it until it died...

so yeah... I dont know if that has anything to do with it but there you have it.

The tank was emptied, fuel lines purged and the engine was cranked until it started. As you may imagine a huge cloud of white smoke out the tailpipe. No issues after that.
Old 05-21-12, 08:46 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Probably a dirty Idle air control valve...do a search on IACV cleaning...under this forum
Old 05-22-12, 07:07 AM
Leolo007
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Thomas!! I will do that this weekend

Should I replace the fuel pump just as preventive maintenance considering the age and mileage of the vehicle?
Old 05-22-12, 04:28 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

"Should I replace the fuel pump just as preventive maintenance considering the age and mileage of the vehicle? "

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. IMO
Old 05-22-12, 07:37 PM
RXdriver11
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with the two above, sounds like IACV. While you have the intake off cleaning the valve you should get some MAF cleaner and clean that as well. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 05-23-12, 07:01 PM
tjrudolph
Driver School Candidate

Default Been there, Done that

My baby girl did the same thing last month! she has 170,000 miles. Replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, cleaned the IACV, rebuilt the air intake. After a month of replacing parts, she was still doing it Was about to resort to drastic measures (taking her to a mechanic) when I decided to replace my MAF sensor. Ordered OEM sensor from Amazon (at a sweet price!) and popped it in. She has ran better than she ever has since! actually improved gas mileage by about 4 mpg. Good Luck with your issue!
Old 05-23-12, 09:34 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

One needs to analyze a problem.

Fuel supply issues (like pump and filter) can happen randomly, but are stressed under heavy acceleration or load (conditions when your gauge shows you 5mpg). Standing still (ideling) is not a heavy demand condition.

IACV problems can be overcome by keeping your foot on the gas pedal.

Do not follow hunches (or posting on the net). Analyze the problem,

Salim
Old 05-28-12, 06:41 AM
Leolo007
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys thanks for your posts. Last Fridays I cleaned the IACV. But that was before I read the post about cleaning the MAF. That would have been a good idea too. Since my issue happened randomly I don't really know if it was fixed. I'll just have to wait and hope it doesn't happen again.

Btw the DIY that I saw said to remove the electric motor that operates the valve. As warnings said the bolts are soft and the heads got stripped very easily. So i went a different way, I started the car and had a friend spray the valve opening as I accelerated and decelerated (hopefully that made the valve open and close and that helped the cleaner penetrate better).

I'll come back and post if it happens again, but hopefully I don't have to cause that would mean that it didn't work...
Old 05-28-12, 06:56 AM
Leolo007
Driver School Candidate

Salim I get your point and I agree with you to a certain extent. But when one does not have the expertise to perform a root cause analysis, discussing issues on the net with people who've had similar problems is better than trying to figure it out by yourself.
Old 05-28-12, 08:22 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

^ That is why CL is here.

Cleaning the IACV would help if you have idling issue which can be overcome by a gently foot pressure on the gas pedal [the IACV controls the gas needed when your foot is off the gas pedal]. By your description IACV would be my first logical guess.

The other thing is half attempts will not allow you eliminate any possible source of the problem. It might but then it might not. To undo the soft screws, use a screw driver bit and whack it with a hammer to jar the threads and make a seat for the screw driver. There is a tact as you dont want to hit too hard, or miss your impact point and smash something else (including your fingers) and or too soft that it does nothing.

So take it to a mechanic friend and just have him/her break the bond. Follow the DIY and make sure the slug spins the angle as reported by Code.

Salim