RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Tranny Fluid Leak?...Need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-12, 05:18 PM
jcjr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tranny Fluid Leak?...Need help

I have a 2001 RX 300 with 99500 miles....just did a Tranny fluid drain and fill about 2500 miles ago....it was the first time i did the transfer case in additio....

Used Castrol Fluid....Did not have anything to measure with so used 5 qts and ended up a little over the "hot" line...

Today i noticed a few drops of reddish fluid under the car...
Thoughts...
Suggestions...

The stick still measures slightly above "hot"
Old 04-12-12, 06:18 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

You are over filled by about 3/4 of a quart. I would drain that off before looking for a leak. Could just be coming out of a vent from being over filled a little.
Old 04-12-12, 06:45 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm just going to state the obvious questions first:
Is the drain plug tight?
Did you replace the crush washer on the drain plug?
Did you wipe down the pan, to make sure the fluid isn't from when you were draining it out?

I usually only need a little over 4 quarts.
Old 04-12-12, 06:59 PM
jcjr
Pole Position

Thanks guys for the help....

I will check the drain bolt etc as hypervish recommended...Again its been 2500 miles since change....never had issues before...only "new" thing was transfer case thgis time...

All my "simple" drain and fills took about 4 1/4 quarts....

So i thought 5 was reasonable....

On this forum there is a lot of debate on whether overfilling is "bad"

Again I did not have anything to use to measure the fluid coming out....
Old 04-13-12, 07:56 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

overfilling the tranny is a no no....drain some off.... and fill to correct level.
Old 04-13-12, 11:13 AM
01rxwhite
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jcjr, the leak is likely to drain bold from either the pan or transfer case, like hypervish said. I had the same problem the first time I did mine. I thought I tightened the bolt enough being careful not to strip the pan threads. I tried to tighten it a couple of times, but it kept leaking. Then, I tried it when the RX was COLD and it moved just enough to stop it. It was surprising how much tightening that pan would take. NOTE: Check your tranny fluid with the RX warm, not cold. If the fluid is cold, it may appear to require more ATF. After warmed up, run the gear shift up and down through all the gears a few seconds (not fast) at each one. I put just under 4 qts in mine after the drain of the pan and transfer case. Then checked it a few times over the next few days. It's easier to put a little more in later, than to drain some out if it overfilled. Overfilling the tranny will be DEATH to it. Better to have the fluid level on the lower side of the holes or dots on the dipstick than higher or over.
Old 04-13-12, 05:46 PM
jcjr
Pole Position

Thanks guys...the transfer case bolt seemed "wet"...so I tightened a bit more...my last fluid level check is right at the top marks..maybe a few millimeters above

Any way to remove fluid without redoing the entire job???
Old 04-13-12, 06:35 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy07
You are over filled by about 3/4 of a quart. I would drain that off before looking for a leak. Could just be coming out of a vent from being over filled a little.
I'm curious as to where the overflow or vent is from the transmission, other than the dipstick chute?
Old 04-14-12, 08:44 AM
jcjr
Pole Position

So i tightened the transfer case plug and things seem better...no leak in 36 hours...

I still seem to be overfilled just a little bit.....

I remember Lexmex saying that he has run "overfilled" several times without concern....

Do i leave it alone OR do the entire job again...????

I did not just pour 5 Qt in without measuring...but the measurements seem to vary from time to time...
Old 04-14-12, 11:24 AM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 01rxwhite
NOTE: Check your tranny fluid with the RX warm, not cold. If the fluid is cold, it may appear to require more ATF.
This has been a major confusion (bordering on frustration) point for me. Both of my RX's read like there is TOO MUCH fluid in the transmissions when they are COLD. In fact, they have NEVER read near the COLD mark on the dipstick when the engine is cold. In fact it reads about 1 inch north of the full mark.

Only when they are both warmed up, does the level then equalized downward to the "Full" mark. This is completely the opposite of what it is supposed to read...I have agreed to an insanity plea on this issue as I have brought it up before but there never really was an answer as to why this is occurring.
Old 04-14-12, 02:09 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

If I can only make a clean read with engine + transmission warmed up and running.

Salim
Old 04-14-12, 04:45 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by jcjr
So i tightened the transfer case plug and things seem better...no leak in 36 hours...

I still seem to be overfilled just a little bit.....

I remember Lexmex saying that he has run "overfilled" several times without concern....

Do i leave it alone OR do the entire job again...????

I did not just pour 5 Qt in without measuring...but the measurements seem to vary from time to time...
Overfilled a bit, I wouldn't worry about it.

I have tried it both a little high and closer to normal and my shifting seems more improved (quicker) when it is higher. However, keep in mind yours truly by no means drives in a conventional manner (not in Mexico and not in Miami).
Old 04-14-12, 06:50 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Please invest in a Torque wrench.

Salim
Old 04-14-12, 07:24 PM
jcjr
Pole Position

Thanks Salim and Lexmex....

I just use a standard hex wrench...dont have a torque...dont think i will be getting one...i am just an amateur car maintenace guy compared to you guys....

It seems I am just overfilled a small bit...thanks to the leak!!!

I think the problem WAS the bolt on transfer case...again this was the first time I had done the transfer case....previous times was just "simple" drain and fill....

It just seems that when I check the level "running warn engine"...it is always a little different...
Thanks again guys I am approaching 100K on my car and have learned a lot on this forum
Old 04-14-12, 07:31 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

That crush washer is key. There is a point it will not go beyond and it can get as flat as aluminum foil and cause leaks.

Quick Reply: Tranny Fluid Leak?...Need help