RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

KLUNK!!!... Coming from R/rear side....?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-12, 08:29 PM
Aprazur
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question KLUNK!!!... Coming from R/rear side....?

Help!

I've replaced all the strut mounts and insulators top and bottom, even installed on the spring bottoms Lexmex tubing.

On rolling over a speed bump at 16mph ... I've got a Klunk!... noise coming from the passenger side rear right in the area under the strut. My buddy drove me around my hood hitting all the speed bumps yesterday.

I got seasick straddling the tire hole with the seats down and facing the rear. The spare tire and the storage areas cleaned out. Tire cover and storage covers out of the vehicle.. I can hear the noise plain as day. I thought something must be really loose to make that noise and will be easy to find. Not so.

Today I jacked the rear up on stands and removed the right rear tire. I laid under the car for an hour trying to find something that is loose. I've beat on all the stabilizer bars and tried to make them move with a pinch bar. No luck. I see many mounts that hold the rear carrier up and have biscuit mounts. Nothing loose that I can see.

Any Ideas?

1999 Rx 120K AWD

Last edited by Aprazur; 04-04-12 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-05-12, 04:03 PM
jhuang2668
Driver School Candidate

One of the weird noise I had like yours was caused by the worn out plastic cushions in the back door stays.
Old 04-05-12, 04:26 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Did you use OEM strut mounts?
Old 04-05-12, 04:52 PM
RXdriver11
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Try adding some sort of lubricant to the rear stabilizer bars that run perpendicular to the tire. This got rid of the noise, but it does come back after a few thousand miles..
Old 04-05-12, 06:29 PM
Aprazur
Rookie

Thumbs up Oem

Originally Posted by hypervish
Did you use OEM strut mounts?
Yep....OEM.

Jerry
Old 04-05-12, 06:44 PM
Aprazur
Rookie

Default You Might Be Right...

Originally Posted by RXdriver11
Try adding some sort of lubricant to the rear stabilizer bars that run perpendicular to the tire. This got rid of the noise, but it does come back after a few thousand miles..
Last night I was laying there studying both of them. I'm thinking about pulling the bolts out and lubing them. The upper bolt on the front bar has the rear toe in adjustment. Don't want to mess with that one. Maybe just pull and lube the bolts closest to the wheel and the traction bar from the side frame rail too.

If I found any wear on the bolts or bars I would know which one to order/replace. I don't want to replace all six bars at +/- $100 each if they are still good.

I was wondering about possible exhaust pipe bumping. When I put the wheel back on today to head to the billiard room the noise was worse, then got back to normal bad on the way home. I was wiggling the exhaust pipe around the night before.

I'm going to get three of the BIG dudes to bounce on the rear while I lay under with a flash light.

Jerry
Old 04-05-12, 06:54 PM
Aprazur
Rookie

Also, just thinking. I didn't replace any of the struts. Just mounts and insulators adding Lexmex tubing. While re installing the springs, I noticed one of the shocks was weak and dropped about an inch back into its case as I was installing the top mount. I had to hold it up with channel locks to get the mount on. I did not have a new strut available.

Maybe the "bounce test" is not as valid as it is on the old style separate spring and shocks cars of the 60's? Me thinks I should install new struts on the rears. If inspecting the bolts and lubing the stabilizer bars doesn't work...I'll do it over and change the struts.

Jerry

Last edited by Aprazur; 04-06-12 at 08:38 PM. Reason: SP
Old 04-05-12, 07:26 PM
RXdriver11
Rookie

Dont worry about pulling the bolts. If you do and lube em you will still have to do that every few thousand miles. Just spray some lube in and it will go away.
Old 04-06-12, 08:43 PM
Aprazur
Rookie

Cool I'll give it a try...

Dont worry about pulling the bolts. If you do and lube em you will still have to do that every few thousand miles. Just spray some lube in and it will go away.

Thanks, But, It seems that it would be hard to get the spray throughly in to the bolt area. Close tolerances and a small rubber skirt at each end of the bolts.

I'll give it a try with some WD-39 spray first, them if necessary pull the bolts.

Jerry
Old 04-06-12, 11:29 PM
RXdriver11
Rookie

Use something that has a silicone mix. Avoid WD as it will not last more than maybe 1 day. I have the same issue and my spray works for about 6 to 8 months.
Old 04-08-12, 03:38 PM
Aprazur
Rookie

Use something that has a silicone mix. Avoid WD as it will not last more than maybe 1 day. I have the same issue and my spray works for about 6 to 8 months.

How about... Teflon White Lithium Grease in a aerosol can ? I just don't see how I can spray it far enough in between the bolt and the stabilizer bars. The lower end of the bar will be a lot easier than the upper. Did you lube the upper end?

Jerry
Old 04-09-12, 12:07 AM
RXdriver11
Rookie

Originally Posted by Aprazur
How about... Teflon White Lithium Grease in a aerosol can ? I just don't see how I can spray it far enough in between the bolt and the stabilizer bars. The lower end of the bar will be a lot easier than the upper. Did you lube the upper end?

Jerry

I will take some pictures next time I do it. I wouldn't waste Lithium Grease on it but I don't see why it wouldn't work. But it will work its way in there, you spray it on and drive over a few bumps and it works.