RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

help please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-12, 09:58 PM
primo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help please!

my 2000 dome lights, radio/cd player, lcd screen, and preset seat ption is not working checked all fuses to find all are good could it be a wiring problem or a relay or something? Please help. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-01-12, 11:42 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

If no one has messed with the wiring, then I very much doubt that there is a problem with wiring.

There are two location of fuses ... one by the left knee of the driver and the other in the engine compartment.

Sometimes it is hard to tell the fuse is blown or not. Try replacing the ACC fuse with a spare of the same rating.

Also, share with us what triggered the problem.

Salim
Old 04-02-12, 07:31 AM
primo
Driver School Candidate

thanks Salim will get on that today I have a fuse tester that I bought from advanced auto parts i will go through each set of fuses again just to make sure. I will also swap out the acc fuse and get back to you later.
Old 04-02-12, 12:00 PM
primo
Driver School Candidate

I checked every single fuse one by one with tester and eye, all are in good shape. I even took out the ecu fuse for a few minutes, nothing. I give up I guess I will do the thing I did not want to do.That is take it to an electrician it is really frustrating. something that seems so easy to solve I cannot figure it out every thing else works even the sunroof
Old 04-02-12, 09:26 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

I don't know if it is 'that easy to solve'.
I looked over the service guide and i could not see the commonality among the mentioned items.

You tested if the relevant fuses were good. Did you test if there was power present?
Old 04-03-12, 07:15 PM
primo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by maxSteel
I don't know if it is 'that easy to solve'.
I looked over the service guide and i could not see the commonality among the mentioned items.

You tested if the relevant fuses were good. Did you test if there was power present?
Ive read in several places I believe on here as well that the dome lights, cd player, and display screen are all on the same circuit. but again I checked every single fuse by eye and tester. How do I test for power as you stated.
Old 04-03-12, 09:54 PM
salimshah

I have yet to lay my hands on electrical diagram for the RX. One of these days ...
In any case the connectors and wires are pretty robust on Lexus in general.

Some wires (circuits) have fusible links in addition to the fuses. You can put a voltmeter on supply side and see 12v on it. If the fuse is good you should get 12v on the load side as well. Having the circuit diagram would be useful in tracing the point at which 12v disappears.

Did I miss your post about what caused the loss of juice?

Salim
Old 04-03-12, 11:08 PM
primo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
I have yet to lay my hands on electrical diagram for the RX. One of these days ...
In any case the connectors and wires are pretty robust on Lexus in general.

Some wires (circuits) have fusible links in addition to the fuses. You can put a voltmeter on supply side and see 12v on it. If the fuse is good you should get 12v on the load side as well. Having the circuit diagram would be useful in tracing the point at which 12v disappears.

Did I miss your post about what caused the loss of juice?

Salim
No I never mentioned it. To be honest, I have no Idea what could have caused this issue. I bought the truck recently and the person I bought it from said he had no idea either. He bought it from an auction the way it was and thinks its just a fuse. Although I should have known because if it was that simple as a fuse he would have replaced it. I guess I was so caught up on how clean the truck was in and out and how good it ran i figure the radio was the least of the problems. It is funny because I read someone else on here had the exact same power outage to a tee radio, preset memory seat, display screen and dome lights not working and he had a simple fix, A FUSE and I thought mines would be as easy
By the way, if helps with info at all. I bought a multiple fuse pack with the yellow tester from advanced auto parts. Is this tester reliable as the voltmeter you mentioned?
Old 04-04-12, 09:05 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

salim, google rx300 body electrical pdf. It's not the full color coded electrical diagram but it is very helpful.

primo, the fuse tester is a continuity tester. salim is suggesting you use a voltmeter to check the voltage on the supply and load side of the fuse. The body electrical guide said the same thing.
Old 04-05-12, 07:43 PM
primo
Driver School Candidate

Well just to inform you guys. I took it to the electrician today, they said definitely a wiring problem. they still have it.I told them to keep it over night, being that they have not yet found the problem. They think it is a ground loose or wire touching some where. The problem there having is finding it. So hopefully by tomorrow all will be good. Will keep you informed.
Old 04-07-12, 09:14 PM
primo
Driver School Candidate

Alright. Issues solved finally. The problem was corroded wires, and it now works after 453.60 Didn't expect to pay that much, but hey as they say you gotta pay to play. Thanks all for support and time.
Old 05-08-12, 04:51 PM
JERKRICE
Rookie

$453.00 for that WOW
Old 05-17-12, 08:41 PM
primo
Driver School Candidate

tell me about it
Old 05-18-12, 09:49 AM
salimshah

Get the full worth of the money you spent. Ask where the corrosion exactly was. Just because you mentioned auctioned in the past, my concern is that there may be more trouble areas. Had it been the tail lamp, one can think of it as one time issue due to leaking lens cover. Here we are talking about a connection in the cabin or under the hood.

Salim