RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Wobble in steering wheel ate all speed and Steering is Vague

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-12, 09:52 PM
SFFD785
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Wobble in steering wheel ate all speed and Steering is Vague

Hello everyone,

I have a 99 RX with 230k miles and I have a wobble in the steering wheel. It is for sure not the wheel balancing. Also, the steering feels very vague. I searched around and found some topics but nothing definitive on the culprit or solution. But one thing that came up several times are the Lower Control Arms.

BTW: this started out gradually and started to get worse. I don't want the wheel falling on the freeway like on the GS. I will also get under the car on next couple of days and check components for wear and looseness.

My question for you guy's is, How many of you have had the same problem and what was the solution? Or what do you think it can be? I don't want to spend to much money fixing it since the car is getting very tired.

Thank you
Old 03-26-12, 03:40 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

At what speeds does the steering wheel whobble? It can be a wheel balancing issue, like you mentioned.

As for suspension components, the only way to know is to look underneath. lol
Since you mention, the whobble has become worse, it's likely it need's some suspension work up front.
Old 03-26-12, 08:32 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Suspension/steering problems are not very common in the RX.

When it comes to control, or command over your vehicle, it should not be taken lightly. Other than possibility of a horrific accident, a breakage quickly destroy lot of stuff. There are dynamic forces in play when you are driving and the best analogy I can give is that of a hammer .. the movement gives it inertia and it can cause serious stress.

To check for play, you need equipment to raise both of the front tires and use large pry-bars to test out the ball joints. Tie rod movement is usually the easiest to spot.

My view is that after a suspension and steering repair you have to take the vehicle for alignment. You might want to think of letting the shop do the examination, repair and alignment.

Salim
Old 03-26-12, 12:29 PM
SFFD785
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
Suspension/steering problems are not very common in the RX.

When it comes to control, or command over your vehicle, it should not be taken lightly. Other than possibility of a horrific accident, a breakage quickly destroy lot of stuff. There are dynamic forces in play when you are driving and the best analogy I can give is that of a hammer .. the movement gives it inertia and it can cause serious stress.

To check for play, you need equipment to raise both of the front tires and use large pry-bars to test out the ball joints. Tie rod movement is usually the easiest to spot.

My view is that after a suspension and steering repair you have to take the vehicle for alignment. You might want to think of letting the shop do the examination, repair and alignment.

Salim

I am a mechanic and I have all the proper tools and equipment to do the job. I don't need an explanation of what suspension problems can do or what cause and effect are. All I was asking for is some insight since if I am having some problems someone else hast most likely had the same. So I wanted to run it by some people that know what I am talking about and what my solution is wo that they can comment or confirm.
Old 03-26-12, 01:51 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by SFFD785
I am a mechanic and I have all the proper tools and equipment to do the job. I don't need an explanation of what suspension problems can do or what cause and effect are. All I was asking for is some insight since if I am having some problems someone else hast most likely had the same. So I wanted to run it by some people that know what I am talking about and what my solution is wo that they can comment or confirm.
It seems you got offended by the lecture

When one sees a post, one has no idea about the skill of the person asking the question and I err on the side of the safety.

Keep in mind we are mostly enthusiasts and not mechanics.You should be giving us advice.

I hope you got the answer to your question that unlike the GS, RX does not suffer from Lower ball joint problem.

Salim
Old 03-26-12, 02:56 PM
SFFD785
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
It seems you got offended by the lecture

When one sees a post, one has no idea about the skill of the person asking the question and I err on the side of the safety.

Keep in mind we are mostly enthusiasts and not mechanics.You should be giving us advice.

I hope you got the answer to your question that unlike the GS, RX does not suffer from Lower ball joint problem.

Salim
Yes, I somewhat did. But I appreciate your effort to help. It's funny, if most people spent a little time on the forums asking questions, they would know more than most mechanics do.
Old 03-26-12, 07:39 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Worn control arm-induced wheel wobble (steering wheel shimmy) is usually speed dependent on stut-type suspension cars (typically around 50-60mph). What have you done to eliminate the wheels/tires as the culprits? Out of round tires and bent wheels are a common cause and don't always show up on spin balancing (have you road-force balanced the wheels?)
Old 03-27-12, 12:06 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

May I ask why you say it is for sure not the wheel balancing? Is that because, as a mechanic, you have done the balancing? A lack of dynamic balance (when needed) can definitely cause a wobble. The last poster asked about whether you have "road force " balanced them? That definitely can cause a wobble or "nibble" as it is more commonly called although I'm not aware that RX has any kind of unusual problem that normally calls for road force balancing. I would definitely check for play in tie rod ends. At 230K mi. the inner tie rods (the ball where the tie rod attaches to the rack & pinion) could well be worn, especially if it has needed dynamic balancing and has only been getting static balancing.