RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

New to us 2001 RX-300

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-16, 04:35 PM
JDJackson
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New to us 2001 RX-300

So today we picked up. Well taken care of Vapor Blue Metallic RX-300 for our daughter. We are all excited and it looks to be a great first car!

Cleaned up great and it drives awesome! Now I need to get some pics!

Jonathan
Old 03-26-16, 07:04 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Congrats! Yes, post some pictures!
Old 03-27-16, 07:01 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

And check the FAQs list for frequent issues, many of which are DIY fixes.
Old 03-27-16, 09:45 AM
JDJackson
Driver

Default Photos of Juliet!

Ask and ye shall receive... photos that is..

We spent the day yesterday cleaning it inside and out, including shampooing the carpets, cleaning the engine bay, and a good outside wash. Interior looks tons better, but now we are thinking of looking into replacing the leather on the front two seats, as they have single splits in each.

Jonathan
Attached Thumbnails New to us 2001 RX-300-20160326_191128-1-.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
TomH62 (03-25-21)
Old 03-27-16, 11:27 AM
JDJackson
Driver

So, we are getting the rear brake light warning on the dash, when the vehicle lights are on (night only) and brakes are depressed. I'll be looking into that one first...

Also looking at picking up a set of Weathertech DigitalFit liners with the Cargo liner, since the existing OEM mats are fairly warn out. We have them in the ES and LX too and have had great experiences with them.
Old 03-27-16, 11:33 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

More then likely it's the third brake lamp that has burned out or one of the tail lamp bulbs. Not many reported problems with brake light circuitry. Very nice looking ride. I love the color.
Old 03-27-16, 12:00 PM
JDJackson
Driver

I had read a thread on the rear ECU developing bad solder joints over time too, but I will start by looking at all of my bulbs!
Thanks... yeah, we like the color a lot too!
Old 03-27-16, 04:51 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by JDJackson
So, we are getting the rear brake light warning on the dash, when the vehicle lights are on (night only) and brakes are depressed. I'll be looking into that one first...
Are the brake lights working? If not, by all means try the bulbs first, but there was a problem with the brake light module on these cars.
Old 03-27-16, 07:44 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

My younger daughter has an RX300. It's a perfect vehicle for your daughter. Safe, reliable, and really good visibility. That looks to be in really nice shape, and it's not a very common color! Congratulations!
Old 03-28-16, 07:32 AM
JDJackson
Driver

Keith,
The previous owner (a Lexus Master Tech) stated that he had troubleshot the issue down to that small ECU board on the rear driver's side, but had not replaced it yet. I have not started looking into it yet, as we just took ownership on Saturday morning and then spent the afternoon cleaning it out and shampooing the carpets.

I am planning on trying to get access to that board, after I verify all of the lamps and check the solder on the board, as I did find a thread stating that these can become cold solder joints over time and heat. Given the black interior, in do not doubt that it can get hot in the summer!

I finished getting the insurance stuff done this morning and will be getting plates on it this afternoon. Side note: I do love USAA for their ease! We have them as our insurance provider and now have the small car loan through them too. Great to work with!
Old 03-28-16, 07:55 AM
JDJackson
Driver

I've been looking around to see about leather replacement on the front seats. Is it the consensus just to find a local auto upholstery business and work through them? Does it make sense to go ahead and replace the seat heaters at the same time, even if they are operational? Any other advise regarding tearing into the front seats?

Both seats have rips on the sides. I am thinking that they need foam replacement and new leather, otherwise they will continue to breakdown and I don't want this to become a bigger issue.
Thanks all!
Old 03-28-16, 11:31 AM
JDJackson
Driver

Another "quick" question:

Regarding the boots that cover the shocks on the struts:

Mine on the back are torn - Is this an item (boots only) that can be replaced without replacing the whole strut assembly, or do those (struts) need to be replaced in full?

Thanks much.
Old 03-28-16, 01:22 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Another "quick" question:

Regarding the boots that cover the shocks on the struts:

Mine on the back are torn - Is this an item (boots only) that can be replaced without replacing the whole strut assembly, or do those (struts) need to be replaced in full?

Thanks much.
They are molded onto the OEM tophats. The rear tophats are good for the life of the vehicle. You can buy aftermarket bellow boots for your struts. It just requires you to drop out the struts, compress the springs and remove the tophats. Trim off the torn portion of the oem boot before sliding on the replacement.

I've replaced mine with KYB bellows, part number is in my Aftermarket parts review thread.
Old 03-28-16, 01:29 PM
JDJackson
Driver

Thanks much for the reply! That is what I was hoping for.
I'll have to look those boot part numbers up!
Old 03-29-16, 10:20 AM
cotis
Driver School Candidate

I've been looking around to see about leather replacement on the front seats. Is it the consensus just to find a local auto upholstery business and work through them? Does it make sense to go ahead and replace the seat heaters at the same time, even if they are operational? Any other advise regarding tearing into the front seats?

Both seats have rips on the sides. I am thinking that they need foam replacement and new leather, otherwise they will continue to breakdown and I don't want this to become a bigger issue.
Thanks all!
I had this same conundrum two years ago. The only local shop I could find wanted $750 for just the bottom driver's seat and arm rest. I disassembled the seats, put the passenger one on the drivers side temporarily so I could drive the car, and sent the seat bottom and rest to a shop in Dallas. $240 later all is well.
The following users liked this post:
TomH62 (03-25-21)

Quick Reply: New to us 2001 RX-300