RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

New to Lexus and forum!! Got a question....

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-12, 11:08 PM
BiggerOkie
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Lexus and forum!! Got a question....

First let me tell you how excited my wife is on HER new(used) Lexus. She is tickled pink. We bought a 2001 RX300 with 120k miles and think we got a good deal. I am having the timing belt and water pump done next week. Are there any other "preventative" things you guys can suggest? We also found that the right rear door does not lock or unlock with remote OR using unlock button inside the vehicle. I took apart the door panel and it seems I am going to have to replace the whole actuator. Anyone know of any place to get a "cheaper" price than the dealer? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I figured this would be the place. One more......is there any other place to get keys besides the dealer($300 for one!). Thanks for the help

David
Old 02-28-12, 11:21 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Plenty of suppliers on E-bay for a key WAY below $300. !
Do a search on this or another Lexus forum with a similar name and you'll find a TON on either "piggybacking" a $5. universal actuator from e-bay or online suppliers or split the housing apart and replace the motor inside with duplicate motor (don't go to Toyota or Lexus and ask for one, they don't have 'em) That motor shouldn't cost you more than $5. to $15. Both of these options require some tools and mechanical ability. But at a HUGE savings over OEM actuator, it's definitely worth the time and effort. I've done a number of the piggybacks and they really aren't that bad. Searching will give you COMPLETE instructions on either method.
BTW, I would, at the very least replace the lower tensioner pulley. Not necessarily the tensioner, just the pulley. Can be bought online for a little over $20.- definitely less than $30.
Old 02-29-12, 12:06 AM
BiggerOkie
Rookie

Thank you for the help. I also have another issue......the homelink. We tried and tried to program this and couldnt get it to work. I am familiar with homelink on other vehicles so I'm not totally blind on this subject. The problem we had was that we couldn't ever get the light to flash quickly(as in that it learned our opener). Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 02-29-12, 03:37 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

At 120k miles you might want to get the spark plugs done.

What's the condition of the transmission fluid? I'd suggest a drain and fill, not flush. You can do it at home, in 10 mins.
Old 02-29-12, 07:29 AM
RXdriver11
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a great write up on how to program the home link on here. If you cant find it send me a PM as I have a printed out copy I keep in my manual. Also the piggybacking of the door lock is the best way to go. I believe that most of this model have that rear passenger door lock go out. I have personally ordered 2 of the used kits from ebay and neither worked. In the end it was a kit of actuators for like $12 for 2 that worked for me. But as stated earlier you will need tools and some knowledge on where and how to mount/ attach this. Good luck
Old 02-29-12, 09:03 AM
BiggerOkie
Rookie

Thanks guys for all the help on the homelink, we can't get it to even recognize our remote much less try the rolling code. I figured I would have the trans flushed regardless. I got the "Lexus" records when I bought it. I also called them and went over what has and has not been done to it. I called "my" mechanic and he has no worries working on this vehicle. I really looked in to actuator and I believe( correct me if I'm wrong) that replacing the little dc motor would be easier than the piggybacking. I couldn't find GOOD instructions on that.

Thanks again for the help
David
Old 02-29-12, 10:08 AM
RXdriver11
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be my personal opinion to not have a trany flush. Some machine shops use too much pressure, and dont keep clean machines. My opinion would be doing a few fluid changes (3 or more) then drop the pan and filter. Im sure the pro's on here will have more input on this. I had my trany overhauled and have done that way ever since. Aside from the trany issues I haven't had any major issues with my RX. If your mechanic is good you will drive that thing until the wheels fall off..
Old 02-29-12, 11:53 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by BiggerOkie
Thanks guys for all the help on the homelink, we can't get it to even recognize our remote much less try the rolling code. I figured I would have the trans flushed regardless. I got the "Lexus" records when I bought it. I also called them and went over what has and has not been done to it. I called "my" mechanic and he has no worries working on this vehicle. I really looked in to actuator and I believe( correct me if I'm wrong) that replacing the little dc motor would be easier than the piggybacking. I couldn't find GOOD instructions on that.

Thanks again for the help
David
Try erasing the old codes first. Search or follow my best recollection ..
Hold the two outer buttons for about 10+sec.

I would suggest drive away from your home to program the RX else your garage door will go crazy

Remember the second step is to teach the garage-door-opener to accept RX as a legit source.

As new owner, welcome and the best advice any one can give you is read the owners manual and use the search button in CL

Salim
Old 02-29-12, 03:08 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

On the homelink issue, check the age of the garage door openers you have. New garage door openers (I believe 2007 and later???Don't quote me on that) do NOT work with the older Homelink systems on our older RX's. Go to http://www.homelink.com/home/welcome and check it out. If this is the case, you can buy a "repeater" to work with the newer openers. See below edit:

HomeLink Repeater Kit

The HomeLink Repeater Kit is designed to allow compatibility between a new Chamberlain, Sears Craftsman, or LiftMaster garage door opener fitted with a yellow antenna wire and the HomeLink system in your vehicle. These garage door openers were manufactured in 2011 or later. If your opener does not have a yellow antenna wire or is not one of the brands listed above, please consider purchasing a Universal Receiver to ensure compatibility.

Price: $49.99

Quantity:
Old 02-29-12, 03:20 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jbl-1985
On the homelink issue, check the age of the garage door openers you have. New garage door openers (I believe 2007 and later???Don't quote me on that) do NOT work with the older Homelink systems on our older RX's. Go to http://www.homelink.com/home/welcome and check it out. If this is the case, you can buy a "repeater" to work with the newer openers. See below edit:

HomeLink Repeater Kit

The HomeLink Repeater Kit is designed to allow compatibility between a new Chamberlain, Sears Craftsman, or LiftMaster garage door opener fitted with a yellow antenna wire and the HomeLink system in your vehicle. These garage door openers were manufactured in 2011 or later. If your opener does not have a yellow antenna wire or is not one of the brands listed above, please consider purchasing a Universal Receiver to ensure compatibility.

Price: $49.99

Quantity:
Not true, my garage door opener is a LiftMaster unit (with rolling code), and it's only a year old, yet it work's perfect with the RX300 home link.

Make sure you are pressing the button on the back of the garage opener itself.
Old 02-29-12, 03:30 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

It would seem that from the JC website that eventually the newer units won't be compatible...that's all I am trying to note.
Old 02-29-12, 04:30 PM
BiggerOkie
Rookie

Wow....I really appreciate ALL the help. I have OCD so after I got up this afternoon(I work shift work), I tried again with a different opener. No go. It simply wont "pick up" what my Genie openers are putting out. I even tried using my homelink button(aimed at the RX) in my Chevy Z71...no go. This thing is driving me crazy. This opener is about 2 yrs old. Also, anyone have any good detailed instructions on the piggybacking. I did a search, and just not quite sure about it yet.

Again, thanks for all the help. It is greatly appreciated.

Oh btw, my mechanic said it takes around 2-3 hours to change the plugs. Does this sound correct? He said he has to remove intake.

Thanks
David
Old 02-29-12, 04:35 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Wow....I really appreciate ALL the help. I have OCD so after I got up this afternoon(I work shift work), I tried again with a different opener. No go. It simply wont "pick up" what my Genie openers are putting out. I even tried using my homelink button(aimed at the RX) in my Chevy Z71...no go. This thing is driving me crazy. This opener is about 2 yrs old. Also, anyone have any good detailed instructions on the piggybacking. I did a search, and just not quite sure about it yet.

Again, thanks for all the help. It is greatly appreciated.

Oh btw, my mechanic said it takes around 2-3 hours to change the plugs. Does this sound correct? He said he has to remove intake.

Thanks
David
2-3 hours sounds about right. The rear spark plugs are a pain. But it's possible to change them by feeling around, and without removing the intake. I only removed the throttle body.

Not sure as to how to program the garage door opener, I had the person who installed the garage door opener program it for me. He did it instantly.
Old 03-01-12, 12:11 AM
BiggerOkie
Rookie

On the tranny drain and fill, just do it like it sounds? Like an oil change? Loosen bolt, drain fluid, tighten bolt and fill thru dipstick? 4 1/2 quarts of toy fluid?
Old 03-01-12, 02:36 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

On the tranny drain and fill, just do it like it sounds? Like an oil change? Loosen bolt, drain fluid, tighten bolt and fill thru dipstick? 4 1/2 quarts of toy fluid?
Don't foget to drain both ATF sumps.

Quick Reply: New to Lexus and forum!! Got a question....