RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rear brake pads and brake fluid flush

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-12, 10:06 AM
Stemmer
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear brake pads and brake fluid flush

I was told by a trusted mechanic last year that I was close to needing new rear pads and I'm ready to do that. My plan was to bring it to this indy, but it's inconvenient for me to leave it there for the day and get to/from work. I saw the ad below, for $252 my local dealer who I like (other than the prices) will replace the rear pads, machine the rotors and inspect the hardware. I also can get it washed, vacuumed and use a loaner for the day, especially on a day where I need to do some driving. I asked my local Toyota dealer for their price to compare, but have not heard back. Is this price ballpark? I don't mind paying a modest premium for the other benefits but don't want to get ripped off. This is not a DIY job for me.

Also, I had the brake fluid flushed 40,000 miles ago when the front pads were replaced. Is it necessary to do it again? If so, what is a reasonable dealer price?

Thanks for any input.

http://www.lenstolerlexus.com/ViewSp...rts%20Specials
Old 02-19-12, 10:21 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

$252 is a great deal for a stealership.
Old 02-19-12, 11:01 AM
Stemmer
Driver

Originally Posted by hypervish
$252 is a great deal for a stealership.
Done. Thanks Hypervish - I'm scheduling tomorrow.
Old 02-19-12, 02:08 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't be too surprised if they tell you that 'unfortunately' the rotors can't be machined and must be replaced, which will then drive up the price considerably.
Old 02-19-12, 03:20 PM
Stemmer
Driver

Originally Posted by JAB
Don't be too surprised if they tell you that 'unfortunately' the rotors can't be machined and must be replaced, which will then drive up the price considerably.
That's a good point, although this dealer seems to me to be pretty straight other than the typically high prices outside of specials. The rotors have been machined only once, when the pads were first installed. Any insight on how many times rotors can be machined? Also, I know the dealer is insanely high on rotors and I would never do it.

What do you or anyone suggest if I get that call while they have my RX? Tell them to machine them anyway, tell them only to do the pads, tell them forget it?
Old 02-22-12, 07:06 PM
C-Stone
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you considered replacing the pads yourself? I believe there is a sticky on it. It wasn't too bad at all.

How do the rotors look/feel? If not too bad, pads may be all you need.
Old 02-23-12, 03:02 AM
Stemmer
Driver

Originally Posted by C-Stone
Have you considered replacing the pads yourself? I believe there is a sticky on it. It wasn't too bad at all.

How do the rotors look/feel? If not too bad, pads may be all you need.
Thanks for the thought but I'm not mechanically inclined so I can't do the pads myself; I'm feeling some pulsating with braking from higher speeds so I figure I want the rotors machined as well. Bringing it to the dealer today given the special and hopefully they won't claim new rotors are needed and that the new pads and machining will resolve the pulsating.
Old 02-23-12, 03:54 PM
C-Stone
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes sense. Good luck with it.
Old 02-23-12, 06:11 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

$252 is a good deal for a Lexus dealership, but did you inquire at a Toyota dealership?
Old 02-24-12, 06:12 PM
Stemmer
Driver

Default Conclusion

Never heard back from Toyota on a price and Midas quoted me $215 for rear pads and to machine rotors so for $252 went with the dealer. Got a call two hours after I left the RX - the service adviser stated the mechanic measured the front pads as well and the front were 2/32 and 3/32 and rears were both 3/32 and of course recommended both sets of pads and machining the rotors front and rear. They also recommended a brake fluid flush. It bothered me that my records showed I changed the front pads, machined the front rotors and flushed the brake fluid 43,000 miles ago and that my indy mechanic only recommended rear pads "soon" two oil changes ago. I could not find the record for when I had the rear pads last changed. I called a buddy who knows cars and he thought it's very possible that front pads could go in 43,000 miles.

I went ahead and changed both sets of pads and had the rotors machined at $252 per axle and passed on the brake fluid flush as the dealer wanted $170. I did not ask for the worn pads. Did I get ripped off? Maybe, but I don't think so b/c the brakes were really becoming problematic braking from highway speed with reduced braking function and pulsating/vibrating. The brakes feel great. I'm at 206k and hoping to get 250k before I retire my RX. I certainly hope I have spent my last dollar on brakes. Drove around in a loaner 2012 RX with NAV and rear camera for the day. Pretty nice.
Old 02-24-12, 06:20 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are 44k away from "doing away" with your RX, then I suspect you have spent the last on your brakes unless you drive like an 18yr old. Did you get the best deal? You may have gotten a better deal at a Toyota dealership, but then again you wouldn't have had a 2012 RX as a loaner for the day.
Old 02-25-12, 02:07 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by jbl-1985
If you are 44k away from "doing away" with your RX, then I suspect you have spent the last on your brakes unless you drive like an 18yr old. Did you get the best deal? You may have gotten a better deal at a Toyota dealership, but then again you wouldn't have had a 2012 RX as a loaner for the day.
You can never be sure if you are getting a good deal from the stealership based on price alone because you never know if you needed the work done to begin with OR if the work was done right OR if the work was done at all. I could tell you a million stories but here is one specific to brakes. A good friend of mine got all of his work done at the Toyota dealer. He allowed them to do anything they suggested. He trusted them completely. A few months ago he got me involved in troubleshooting a DTC. He let me see all of his service records. They replaced his front & rear pads plus turned rotors at 25k and again at 50 k. This old guy drives like the proverbial little old lady who only drives her car to church. His brakes were easily good for 75-80k miles and probably a lot more than that.

Last edited by artbuc; 02-25-12 at 02:17 AM.
Old 02-25-12, 02:14 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Stemmer
That's a good point, although this dealer seems to me to be pretty straight other than the typically high prices outside of specials. The rotors have been machined only once, when the pads were first installed. Any insight on how many times rotors can be machined? Also, I know the dealer is insanely high on rotors and I would never do it.

What do you or anyone suggest if I get that call while they have my RX? Tell them to machine them anyway, tell them only to do the pads, tell them forget it?
I would strongly urge you NOT to turn your rotors again. You were fortunate to get away with turning them once. Also, you can get perfectly good aftermarket rotors for much less $$ than OEM. If you are keeping the car, go with Raybestos AT's or Centric Premiums. If not, go with Raybestos or Centric economy.