RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

01 RX 300 Air fuel sensor code p1135, p1155

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-12, 02:10 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I used to watch a few DIY shows on TV (before they became uninformative entertainment shows). Even then, I often told my wife, if you don't already know what they are telling you, you should never attempt the project.
Art,
I don't have cable (because I have too many other things to do and my wife has said she isn't really interested either) but when we are in Tn. or Al. visiting family I do watch a little and the only thing of interest to me is "How it's made". Being born a curious soul, I HAVE to know! I have been appalled at times when watching "How to do it" shows at the degree of lack of professional knowledge. They often appeal to the people that don't know what (they) don't know (the people who are putting on the show). It is always encouraging to see those who are actually "spot on".
Note the emphasis on "uninformative entertainment"! I loaned a friend a portable compressor many years ago to paint his garage door. He called and asked me how far away he should stand to spray it. He asked if 10 feet (yes, you read that correctly) would be about right. i assumed he knew how to spray because he had a spray gun. It was a while before I could regain my composure enough to answer him. I still burst out laughing when I think of that. Wonder what "uninformative entertainment show" he saw that on?
Old 03-21-12, 02:26 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Roger, they used to have a show on early Sat morning called the "Weekend Mechanic". He was very good but I imagine most folks thought he was boring and too detailed. No loud rock music and rapid fire camera cut-in/cut-out shots that give this old man a headache!
Old 03-22-12, 12:35 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
Roger, they used to have a show on early Sat morning called the "Weekend Mechanic". He was very good but I imagine most folks thought he was boring and too detailed. No loud rock music and rapid fire camera cut-in/cut-out shots that give this old man a headache!
Art,
I'm sure people think I'm boring and too detailed also, but if you want the entire story, you're gonna get the details! I don't have very many people coming back to me with "but you didn't tell me that". I hate it when people leave out a crucial part and then wonder why you don't understand.
I make no appologies for the fact that I'm not on drugs, so I don't want that! ^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 10-23-12, 07:12 AM
blaster30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
Kevin, If you can get straight which bank is which and get the right sensors in the right holes and get that you can't have front and rtear codes on the same bank and you still have CEL, VSC and TRAC off lights, come back and I'll give you a link to deal with that.
What is the link? I just got the P1135 code and I will order 2 DENSO O2 Sensors, hope that fixes the CEL, but wouldn't mind being prepared if not..
Old 12-22-12, 07:56 AM
VeryOldman
Driver School Candidate

Angry RX 300 XU1 2002 p1135 and p1155

Hi to all,
first I must excuse me for asking questions, for which answers are posted here, especially by "code58", but my English is not so good, so I have sometimes problems to understand all.

I've the same problems with my RX 300.
The story:
MIL is lightning, code p1135 Bank1 Sensor 1.
I've changed sensor 1 with a aftermarket -sensor from UK, same Number as original 89467 48011 and because I believed, sensor 1 is the front sensor, I've changed it.

Now, having read the postings from you, "code58", I'm not so sure, that this was the right choice.
My (my? Make me not laugh!!) Lexus-workshop here in Germany told me, one couldn't tell me, what the code-number will say and they must search the mistake step by step. This will last for five ours, 103 Euro/h. It's not to believe!

So I'll try to end my confusion by beginning with the things I hope having understood:

The RX 300 has two banks.
Bank 1 is the rear bank.
Bank 2 is the front bank.

I hope, at least this is ok?

Code p1135 means, the bank1 sensor 1 doesn't work, and it's the REAR sensor.
Code p1155 means, the bank2 sensor 1 doesn't work, and this is the FRONT sensor.
Right?

Both things together mean:

Bank1 sensor1 is the REAR sensor
Bank1 sensor 2 is the FRONT sensor
and
Bank2 sensor 1 is the FRONT sensor
Bank2 sensor 2 is the REAR sensor.

Oh, all just to confuse the Russians!

If I get the mistake-codes p1135 and 1155, I have to change the rear sensor of bank 1
and
the front sensor of bank 2?

I beg the pardon of all here again, but because the master of the Toyota-workshop was so "helpful" to me I have to clear these things all alone.
Or with the competent help of one of you.

Many thanks for answering!!!!

Harold
Old 12-22-12, 08:16 AM
VeryOldman
Driver School Candidate

Red face RX 300 XU1 2002 p1135 and p1155

Sorry, I forgot to say, I HAVE GOT the code 1155 AFTER having changed Bank 1 Sensor 1, believing that's the front sensor.

So I hope, my post can be understood, although my English is not so good. Or should I say: terrible?

Harold
Old 12-22-12, 03:23 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

1135 is the rear sensor
1155 is the front

Bank 1 Sensor 2 is the O2 sensor under the car down by the catalytic converter (there are 3 sensors total).

You can have a front sensor go out and false a rear sensor or vice versa (both codes).

These cars do not play nice with aftermarket sensors. You can replace the correct one and still have issues.
Old 12-23-12, 12:17 AM
VeryOldman
Driver School Candidate

Angry RX 300 XU1 2002 p1135 and p1155

Hi, Carguy, thanks for answering.

Do I understand right:
My OBDII-Reader tells me: 1135 =bank 1 sensor 1 and 1155 =bank 2 sensor 1
Now I have to change the rear sensor bank 1 and the front sensor bank 2?

One more time I must excuse me, that I am so puzzle-headed, but I'm not a technician and I use cars normally for driving not for screwing! So please be patient with an old man

I know it was a mistake to buy a aftermarket sensor. "code58" said it clearly: These cars are pissy with aftermarket items ...

Harold
Old 12-23-12, 12:41 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

I would see which code pops up first (check it as soon as the light comes one) and replace that one with a new Denso and see what happens. When my front one died it was giving me a code for the front sensor and throwing in a code for the rear sensor too. I just replaced the front one and codes all cleared and the rear one turned out to be fine. But, your codes look to be heater related, if that is the case then you will very likely just need to replace both sensors to resolve.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...sensor-1-3.pdf
Old 12-23-12, 01:50 AM
VeryOldman
Driver School Candidate

Ok, I think I got it.

Last question:

The first code, which pops up first was and is the 1135. Because I was in the opinion, the wrong opinion, that it was the code of the front sensor, I changed this sensor with an aftermarket sensor.
After changing the second code 1155 pops up. I think that shows me, that the original front sensor wasn't broken, but the aftermarket sensor doesn't work really good, and so the code 1155 pops up.

I will rechange the "old" sensor and change the rear sensor with an denso sensor.

But: Why does the OBD-reader tell me, that the code 1155 is on bank 2??

Oh, why the things are always so complicated. At least for an very, very old man??
Old 12-23-12, 02:03 AM
VeryOldman
Driver School Candidate

Beg your pardon, it was not (!) the last question.

I looked at the plan, I found on the link you send me and I see only three sensors:

Bank 2 Sensor 1
Bank 1 Sensor 1
Bank 1 Sensor 2

I thought, there are four sensors in a RX 300? Wrong? The master of the workshop told me so.
How many sensors exist?

And:
If I look at the plan I see, that Bank 1 Sensor 1 is built directly short to the Bank 1 Cylinders. Is this the front sensor and not the rear? In the plan the rear sensor is called Bank 1 Sensor 2.

Willmaaaaaaa
Old 12-23-12, 03:12 AM
VeryOldman
Driver School Candidate

Ok, slowly, slowly!
I will try to put it in order:

On the plan there are three sensors. Bank 1 sensor 1; Bank 2 sensor 1; and near to the catalytic converter the third called Bank 1 sensor 2.

The bank 1 sensor 2 is, if I think right, the oxygen-sensor for BOTH banks. Right?

If my OBD-code-reader shows me the mistake-code 1135 and this code concernes to the rear sensor, it must be the bank 1 sensor 2. Right?

In the same time my OBD-reader tells me, that the bank 1 sensor 1 (not sensor 2) is broken. Is there the possibility, that my OBD-reader doesn't show me the right combination and in reality means bank 1 sensor 2?

That would explain the whole confusion.

Therefore my special situation is as follows:

I got the message from my OBD-reader "p1135, bank 1 sensor 1 is broken" But this was a wrong combination. It must have been said "p1135, bank 1 sensor 2 is broken".
Now I've changed the front sensor I found looking from under my car in direction of motion on the right side. (I hope, this one is the "bank 1 sensor 1". Or have I made here the next mistake? That could explain, why the OBD-reader shows me after changing the code "1155 bank 2 sensor 1", because the aftermarket sensor doesn't work as Lexus whishes and I don't have changed bank 1 sensor 1, but bank 2 sensor 1)

Last possibility I can imagine is, that the rear sensor (bank 1 sensor 2) is broken. The sensor I changed with the aftermarket-sensor was really bank 1 sensor 1. The aftermarket-sensor doesn't work and now the bank 2 sensor 1 is also disturbed and so the OBD-reader shows me 1155 bank 2 sensor 1 is broken.

Oh, oh, oh. Possibilities as much as can be.

Carguy, I thank you for giving me your time! If you take the delight to answer me again, I would enjoy.

Harold
Old 12-23-12, 08:43 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

The PDF is correct, there are 3 sensors and Bank 1 Sensor 2 is not your issue. It is down by the catalytic converter and has nothing to do with the codes you are getting.

1135 is the rear bank, but I think you replaced the front. My guess is the front one was fine and the aftermarket sensor is the reason you are seeing a code for the front sensor now. So reinstall the old sensor in the front bank and put a new Denso sensor in the rear bank.
Old 12-23-12, 12:13 PM
VeryOldman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much, carguy!

I will do so and after X-mas and New Year I will resume work!

The messages of the ODB-reader are incomprehensible for me as not being a technician. So I hope now having understood the complicated messages:

Bank 1 sensor 1 is the one and only sensor of bank 1, the rear bank.
Bank 2 sensor 1 is the one and only sensor of bank 2, the front bank.

Every bank has only one sensor.

The third sensor must have a name. And so Toyota has given him the name "Bank 1 sensor 2", although he doesn't be placed IN the bank 1.

My reflections are they right?

Harold
Old 12-23-12, 05:34 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VeryOldman
Thanks so much, carguy!

I will do so and after X-mas and New Year I will resume work!

The messages of the ODB-reader are incomprehensible for me as not being a technician. So I hope now having understood the complicated messages:

Bank 1 sensor 1 is the one and only sensor of bank 1, the rear bank.
Bank 2 sensor 1 is the one and only sensor of bank 2, the front bank.

Every bank has only one sensor.

The third sensor must have a name. And so Toyota has given him the name "Bank 1 sensor 2", although he doesn't be placed IN the bank 1.

My reflections are they right?

Harold
Yep, you got it right.

Quick Reply: 01 RX 300 Air fuel sensor code p1135, p1155