RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-12, 06:40 AM
SaraBlu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change

do you recommend only getting an oil change at the Lexus dealership? Just got mien a month ago, and the previous owner always serviced the car at a Lexus. will they do the same thing, most places would, should $30 more. Opinions please
Old 02-02-12, 07:42 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

There is quite a variety, even among Lexus dealers, both in cost and what they include.

My observation is that some Lexus dealers are reasonable, some expensive; some use synthetic motor oil, some semi-synthetic, and some regular.

I would feel safe going to any Lexus dealer, and avoid quick-oil-change places and $10.99 places like the plague. Buying the oil filter at a Toyota dealer (plus new crush washer) will cost maybe $5-6. A 5-quart container of Castrol GTX 5w30 at Walmart is about $15. With luck, depending on where you live, you can find an independent mechanic who will do an oil change with your filter and oil for maybe $20. Maybe not.

I used to go a Toyota dealer for oil changes. Some will do Lexus and some won't. I had an overfill and drained some out and it looked dirty. I don't know what happened, but I stopped doing that.

I know some on this forum use other brand filters, and some use even more premium motor oil. I'm perfectly OK with that. I think everybody here agrees to stay away from quick-lub places, cheap oil filters, and really cheap motor oils.
Old 02-02-12, 10:05 AM
SaraBlu
Driver School Candidate

yes, I'm definitely, staying away from the Jiffy Lubes, etc. I believe the Lexus dealership near where I'm from will be about 50 bucks. but they also wash your car, so I'm thinking its def the route to go! thanks for the response
Old 02-02-12, 11:56 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

My uncle who runs a independent shop does walk in oil changes, no appointments necessary for $10, if you bring your own oil and filter. $15 if you bring only the oil, and he supplies the filter. < most of the indy. shops near me offer similar pricing, you should be able to find a shop as well

I suggest you find a independent shop, definitely don't go to any chain stores, because they are usually a hit or miss, mostly though being misses. LOL

There's nothing wrong with getting the oil change done at Lexus, except for the price. They know the RX300 inside and not, I'd trust them.

OR, you could DIY. I honestly can't remember the last time I paid someone to change the oil in any of my vehicles.
Old 02-02-12, 03:25 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
My uncle who runs a independent shop does walk in oil changes, no appointments necessary for $10, if you bring your own oil and filter. $15 if you bring only the oil, and he supplies the filter.
That's worth it just to not risk burns from the oil/exhaust manifold and having to haul the used oil to the place down the street!
Old 02-02-12, 05:41 PM
SaraBlu
Driver School Candidate

I still have not attempted to do an oil change myself. Im thinking Ill just pay the little extra, and have them do it. as you say they know the RX in and out.

thanks
Old 02-03-12, 08:12 PM
C-Stone
Rookie

I done many of my own oil changes on the RX300. Piece of cake.
Old 02-04-12, 05:43 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

C-Stone is right. Once you learn how to get that pesky filter off the first time, it's a snap. Mckellyb makes a good point, but I like doing what I can on my own. There are fewer and fewer projects I can do as the cars become more electronic! No more breaker points, dwell angle, frequent spark plug changes, timing light, etc. You can tell I'm probably older than some of you....
Old 02-04-12, 06:35 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by trhs75
Mckellyb makes a good point, but I like doing what I can on my own.
Oh, that makes two of us. I'm doing a timing belt later this year, because I like to do it and want to see what I can. I've always been that way...always will be, it appears.

There are fewer and fewer projects I can do as the cars become more electronic! No more breaker points, dwell angle, frequent spark plug changes, timing light, etc. You can tell I'm probably older than some of you....
There are fewer which you must do as often! Plugs are now twice in a car's 200K mile life, instead over every 15K miles. I certainly embrace that which is electronic ignition!!! No more damp distributor problems, a worn rotor...all that good stuff.

I kept the dwell meter, timing light, and some other 'old timey' goodies stashed away, just in case I ever get to purchase a '69 Imperial coupe.

In fact, when I had a '73 Coupe deVille's, on that monster 472 cid engine there was a metal sliding 'window' on the distributor cap which had an Allen-head bolt inside. You could use this, and I did, to adjust the points when needed. I stashed an Allen wrench in the never-used ash tray, and was good enough to be able to do it by feel/sound. Never had to carry a thin dime or a matchbook cover like my father or uncle did.

Yeah, the old stuff is neat, but not having to mess with it is better!
Old 02-05-12, 01:55 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

C-Stone is right. Once you learn how to get that pesky filter off the first time, it's a snap. Mckellyb makes a good point, but I like doing what I can on my own. There are fewer and fewer projects I can do as the cars become more electronic! No more breaker points, dwell angle, frequent spark plug changes, timing light, etc. You can tell I'm probably older than some of you....
Funny, I'm an old guy too and think modern cars are much easier to work on. Rebuilding carbs is for the birds and getting breaker points set just right was a royal PITA, for me at least.
Old 02-05-12, 03:11 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to wait for the oil change specials at Advance Auto or AutoZone, when I would DIY, I loved the K&N filters with the wrench top fitting, always helped that tight fitting oil filter. If not DIY, like when its freezing out, I would bring my oil supplies to Toyota, $15 oil change if you bring the oil and filter yourself and it hits as a service record on carfax, learned that when I traded my RX300 in, service records added a lot to my trade! Worth the $15 every time.
Old 02-05-12, 06:02 AM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi SaraBlu, lexus oil change maybe cheap but other work they are very expensive so I would find a reliable garage that you do future repairs. Secondly, if you are owner of RX330 then you are in wrong forum, this one answers to RX300
Old 02-05-12, 07:31 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnLX300
I used to wait for the oil change specials at Advance Auto or AutoZone, when I would DIY, I loved the K&N filters with the wrench top fitting, always helped that tight fitting oil filter. If not DIY, like when its freezing out, I would bring my oil supplies to Toyota, $15 oil change if you bring the oil and filter yourself and it hits as a service record on carfax, learned that when I traded my RX300 in, service records added a lot to my trade! Worth the $15 every time.
Dealer fluff to make you feel like they are giving you a deal on the trade in. Coincidentally they make awesome money every time you bring it in.
Old 02-06-12, 05:54 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Oil changes on an RX300/330 is really very simple, but you have to feel comfortable with the process. Actually, any Toyota/Lexus vehicle equipped with a 1or3MZ-FE engine for that matter.

Interesting side note when I got some recall work done to my 330, they gave me an RX350 as a loaner, and I popped the hood for kicks and could NOT find the oil filter to save my life. I didn't look terribly hard, but it was not obvious where it was.
Old 02-06-12, 07:31 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

just search for DIY for an oil change in this forum. its really easy. i say use any oil from auto store BUT get a toyota oil filter from the dealer