RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

need help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-12, 07:58 AM
my400brd1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help please

1999 rx300 only has 83,000 miles on it when placed in park on a small incline vehicle will roll and not stay put appreciate any help thanks
Old 01-24-12, 11:50 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

What do you mean by it rolls and does not stay put? Do you mean that once you put it in park, it will move a little backwards? If so, that's normal, it's the parking pawl engaging. You can use the parking brake to help minimize the roll, as that's why they are installed. lol

Remember, the proper way to use the parking brake is to enable it before putting the car into park. (ie. press down on that pedal, while the car is in "drive" but not moving, then move the shift lever to "park". And then to disengage it, first put the car into reverse or whatever gear you need, and then release the parking brake.

Last edited by hypervish; 01-24-12 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-25-12, 12:22 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by my400brd1
1999 rx300 only has 83,000 miles on it when placed in park on a small incline vehicle will roll and not stay put appreciate any help thanks
If you mean it does not go into park (locked), that's not good. Does it go into all the other gear selector positions properly? Does it hold sometimes but not others?
Old 01-25-12, 05:47 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Agree, if the locking paw is not engaging than it may be tranny time...
Old 01-25-12, 06:07 AM
my400brd1
Driver School Candidate

Default vehicle rolls fwd in park

when the car is on an incline and the shift lever is placed in park the car will roll foward and there is a banging noise like something is not engaging.i didnt know the name for it but the parking pawl now sounds familiar i believe thats whats causing it. so does that mean the tranny must be replaced. it didnt do it going the oppisite direction only when the car was pointing downhill
Old 01-25-12, 07:36 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Was your vehicle ever hit while it was parked?

Sorry I am not answering your question ,,, my hands on information is limited to replacing filter on a transmission and I dont know how deep inside the broken part is.

Salim
Old 01-25-12, 09:44 AM
toms73nova
Driver School Candidate

Probably 1 of two thins happened, the car was hit in park or the selector was forced in park while moving.

It caused the edge of the parking prawl to chip off.
The design is like a cogged gear on the transmission output shaft with the prawl a square peg that fits in the gaps of the cog (depending on position). When the square edge of the prawl is chipped off, it will not engage in the square recess and hopps out.

You have two choices, always use the parking brake or the prawl has to be replaced. Unortunately it envolves tearing the transmission apart to repace a $15 part.

Last edited by toms73nova; 01-25-12 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-25-12, 10:06 AM
my400brd1
Driver School Candidate

Default need help please

Originally Posted by toms73nova
Probably 1 of two thins happened, the car was hit in park or the selector was forced in park while moving.

It caused the edge of the parking prawl to chip off.
The design is like a cogged gear on the transmission output shaft with the prawl a square peg that fits in the gaps of the cog (depending on posion). When the square edge of the prawl is chipped off, it will not engage in the square recess and hopps out.

You have two choices, always use the parking brake or the prawl has to be replaced. Unortunately it envolves tearing the transmission apart to repace a $15 part.
yeah it does'nt do it on level ground only when pointed downward on a hill.with pressure on the tranny. guess ill use the parking brake until i get rid of this beast. carfax showed no accidents but who knows. nice looking car crap for a transmission wish i had done some research on them before we bought one.cant believe no toyota recall on these tranny problems everyone seems to have.cant afford a 4000 dollar tranny fix right now thanks.
Old 01-25-12, 10:52 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

yeah it does'nt do it on level ground only when pointed downward on a hill.with pressure on the tranny. guess ill use the parking brake until i get rid of this beast. carfax showed no accidents but who knows. nice looking car crap for a transmission wish i had done some research on them before we bought one.cant believe no toyota recall on these tranny problems everyone seems to have.cant afford a 4000 dollar tranny fix right now thanks.
Also remember to curb the wheels. [or carry 2 4x4 ... let people guess it is a Lexus or a trailer].

I think it would be unfair to attribute your problem and lump it with other transmission problem people talk about. This is the first such problem I have come across.

If you happen to get a quote to get it fixed, do post it here.

Salim
Old 01-25-12, 12:09 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Your transmission problem is completely unrelated to what the normal failure is. Also, the failure rate isn't really that high. People don't come online to brag about how amazing their car is, they come online to complain, and find a solution to their problem(s). I don't think it's necessary for Toyota/Lexus to issue a recall, it really isn't as big as it's made out to be.
Old 01-26-12, 07:14 AM
my400brd1
Driver School Candidate

ok thanks everyone for your input ive brought it back to the dealer we bought it from 5 weeks ago to look at it ,out of warranty but he will check it out hopefully something small like an adjustment will post results, dave