RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Radio Replacement

Old 02-20-12, 03:33 PM
insame1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So... I got this far and started changing my mind about placment of the controls. I am now thinking i want it under its stock location. This will require me to move the charger outlet but it will greatly improve the look and the use of the ac controls. What do you think.
Old 02-21-12, 01:55 AM
nnym4
Driver School Candidate

hey guys, i just purchased a '03 rx300 a couple hours ago and already had ideas of changing out the stock stereo system . i do agree its really tricky with the ac controls right there and im really interested in how you plan on moving the ac controls lower on the dash.

my rx doesnt have any seat warmers, so my plan was to have the ac controls down there and get a double din car pc in place of the old stereo. i have no background in any audio installation and was just getting ideas from you guys, and trying my luck with someone around my area (southern california).

good luck with your project and please keep us posted!!
Old 02-21-12, 08:58 AM
insame1
Driver School Candidate

I hope that I am not coming of as a jerk but if you have no background in car audio or custom fabrication I would not take this on. My good friend and I have been doing car audio for over 10 years and when I told him what I was doing he said ”that one is all you”. You can't just relocate the AC controls. They are part of the radio as you can see from my picture. I have not even found a shop in my area that will touch it.

If you are going to tackle this I would wait till I have a full write up done and then you can decide if it is something you want to take on. If you do I would be glad to help.
Old 02-22-12, 01:42 AM
nnym4
Driver School Candidate

Oh no no no... I was not planning on taking this on my own haha. I meant that I was looking for ideas of what people on here were doing with their cars, and then searching for someone around my area who would be able to do that for me.

I have been looking around and found that the link you posted was the closest to how I would like it, except for the extra housing unit on the bottom (I'd prefer the AC controls to be located where the seat warmer buttons would be if my car had them). Your thread seems to be the only active one I've found that has a good thing going here. Can't wait til another update! Good luck!
Old 02-27-12, 05:32 PM
RXdriver11
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by insame1
I hope that I am not coming of as a jerk but if you have no background in car audio or custom fabrication I would not take this on. My good friend and I have been doing car audio for over 10 years and when I told him what I was doing he said ”that one is all you”. You can't just relocate the AC controls. They are part of the radio as you can see from my picture. I have not even found a shop in my area that will touch it.

If you are going to tackle this I would wait till I have a full write up done and then you can decide if it is something you want to take on. If you do I would be glad to help.
O/P you should check out my audio install log im posting on here..

Originally Posted by nnym4
Oh no no no... I was not planning on taking this on my own haha. I meant that I was looking for ideas of what people on here were doing with their cars, and then searching for someone around my area who would be able to do that for me.

I have been looking around and found that the link you posted was the closest to how I would like it, except for the extra housing unit on the bottom (I'd prefer the AC controls to be located where the seat warmer buttons would be if my car had them). Your thread seems to be the only active one I've found that has a good thing going here. Can't wait til another update! Good luck!
You should do the same lol.. I think you might like what ive got going on..
Old 03-05-12, 09:08 AM
insame1
Driver School Candidate

Here is a small teaser

Old 03-05-12, 11:09 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

That looks pretty good, can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 03-05-12, 12:54 PM
sgv_bum
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your trying to do something like this ... but the only neg thing about it .. if you need to fix your clock on your main display its going to be hard ...

Old 03-05-12, 01:22 PM
insame1
Driver School Candidate

your trying to do something likethis...but theonly neg thing aboutit.. ifyou needto fix yourclock on your main display its going to be hard ...
That is very close to what i am doing. Goin to remove all unneded bottons though.
Is this your car? Any more pics. I would love to see the back.
Old 03-05-12, 02:09 PM
Leines
Pole Position

I looked at adding the double din.... it looked nearly impossible without paying more for the install then the car was worth.... the single din.. looked more doable with that installation plate... you would need to be in D or even lower to get the screen to come out as mentioned..

Id suggest if you dont have mad skills, and tons of time like the OP... that you just cop that plate off ebay for $100 and any shop should be able to wire in a new deck and rewire the speakers etc without much trouble...
either way tho labour is gonna kill you hardcore on this install if your not doing it yourself.
Old 03-06-12, 12:14 AM
RXdriver11
Rookie

Originally Posted by insame1
That is very close to what i am doing. Goin to remove all unneded bottons though.
Is this your car? Any more pics. I would love to see the back.
Hey what part of Cali are you in? I would love to see this build in person
Old 03-06-12, 05:36 AM
insame1
Driver School Candidate

Hey what part of Cali are you in? I would love to see this build in person
I am in Sacramento. Not to much to see right now but i hope to be done within the month.

In the benz world we have GTG so we can talk cars and show off our mods. I havent seen talk of any here. Is anyone interested in something like that?
Old 03-15-12, 06:08 PM
insame1
Driver School Candidate

I started glassing the face of the old radio last weekend. Will be going back to the shop after work tomorrow to finish. I'll post a pic if if it turns out well.
Old 03-16-12, 09:20 PM
RXdriver11
Rookie

What is GTG? And be sure you use some kind of filler (like JB Weld type) over just fiberglass. Fiberglass wont bond to ABS plastic and it will crack and break off. I cant wait to see more pics when you get this thing going.
Old 03-30-12, 03:16 PM
insame1
Driver School Candidate

What is GTG?
it is a get together. Normaly somone picks a nice spot and we all sit around, look at each others cars and BS.

I know I haven't given an update in a while but things are moving forward. Will be getting some good work in this weekend hopefully.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radio Replacement