RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

new exhaust suggestions anybody

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-11, 04:19 PM
amblyn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb new exhaust suggestions anybody

well taxes are coming so i plan on making some repairs/upgrades.

have exhaust leak right before 02 sensor also some noise further up so to solve it all im looking into whole new exhaust for my 00 rx300 awd.

should i replace just last cat and back? are there more then one cat? what parts are in the full exhaust? can anybody list them from engine back and suggest where to get them without spending more then 1500. is that possible??

also plan on changing all fluid using the diy posts on here should i use any treatments in the oil?? would sea foam help anything or do damage??

going to do timing and maybe waterpump also. haven't had car too long no idea about previous care or maintenance anything i should check or change at 194k

thought about selling her but now think ill just keep her golden till her time comes.

all suggestions welcome thanks
Old 12-20-11, 05:32 PM
varithms
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like this set up the best. The link shows how he did it. Also you can go to mylexus.com and enter the vin to get some of the history. https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...serviceHistory

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...led-today.html

Last edited by varithms; 12-20-11 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-20-11, 06:51 PM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by amblyn

have exhaust leak right before 02 sensor also some noise further up so to solve it all im looking into whole new exhaust for my 00 rx300 awd.

should i replace just last cat and back? are there more then one cat? what parts are in the full exhaust? can anybody list them from engine back and suggest where to get them without spending more then 1500. is that possible??

also plan on changing all fluid using the diy posts on here should i use any treatments in the oil?? would sea foam help anything or do damage??

going to do timing and maybe waterpump also. haven't had car too long no idea about previous care or maintenance anything i should check or change at 194k

thought about selling her but now think ill just keep her golden till her time comes.

There are no model specific headers for the first gen RX300, although a recall a member fitting a set of OBX made for the Solara, with some modifications (heating and hammering the pipes).

Most members purchase a new resenator and muffler, take them to a muffler shop and have them custom fit and welded.

I believe there are a handful of cutback setups made specifically for this vehicle, but you will need to search around.

Good luck and keep us up-to-date with your project.
Old 12-21-11, 06:36 AM
amblyn
Rookie

Originally Posted by varithms
I like this set up the best. The link shows how he did it. Also you can go to mylexus.com and enter the vin to get some of the history. https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...serviceHistory

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...led-today.html

hey thanks for the mylexus site. always thought it was alot harder then that to find cars history. now just have to decipher all the dealer notes haha.
Old 12-21-11, 11:30 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Too many questions in one post, but I will try to answer
When it comes to exhaust, it boils down to what are you trying to achieve? Simplest thing would be to is to patch it up. If you want more free flowing exhaust, that would alter the sound a whole lot and my advice would be to ride in a RX with the setup you want. Cabin can develop a drone which can be very annoying at certain engine rpm/speed. Also check if the manufacturer provides a statement with the db level and if that breaks any local sound abatement codes. With AWD you may have more restricted options for a non-oem-setup.
Check with Lexus if they have any documented repair history. At 195k I would replace the water pump.
Additives/chemical cleaners can do help and harm (although with time and technology the harm is less and less), BUT you need to really consider what problem you are trying to solve. If there is no problem, then using better quality fluids will gradually get you there. [I do not like additives and cleaners, while other swear by them.]

Salim
Old 12-21-11, 12:11 PM
amblyn
Rookie

Originally Posted by salimshah
Too many questions in one post, but I will try to answer
When it comes to exhaust, it boils down to what are you trying to achieve? Simplest thing would be to is to patch it up. If you want more free flowing exhaust, that would alter the sound a whole lot and my advice would be to ride in a RX with the setup you want. Cabin can develop a drone which can be very annoying at certain engine rpm/speed. Also check if the manufacturer provides a statement with the db level and if that breaks any local sound abatement codes. With AWD you may have more restricted options for a non-oem-setup.
Check with Lexus if they have any documented repair history. At 195k I would replace the water pump.
Additives/chemical cleaners can do help and harm (although with time and technology the harm is less and less), BUT you need to really consider what problem you are trying to solve. If there is no problem, then using better quality fluids will gradually get you there. [I do not like additives and cleaners, while other swear by them.]

Salim
sorry i hate posting a bunch of different posts when i can put it all in one kind of look in one place for the answers you know.

i just want to replace factory exhaust with new parts. not really an upgrade or something different. like the link other guy posted to a dual exhaust thats not for me its cool and all thanks but i just like it to be simple.

was not sure what parts the exhaust consists of you know. i see the cat then i guess what is a resonator back to the rear muffler
wanted to know whats before that as its kind of noisy up there and would like to replace it. factory
not a loud rice burner exhaust you know.. or hot rod exhaust. soo theres the engine then what heads? then exhaust starts? anybody have a diagram of exhuast parts or no where i can find one.

i just want to make sure everything that should be changed/maintained at this high mileage gets done i looked up on mylexus.com the history of it and doesnt really tell me much this is the major things i see:

Dealer Reported 09/08/2010 New Country Lexus of Westport 182203 0177293 WOULD NEED FURTHER DIAG / POSSIBLE AXLE DEFECTIVE OR RIGHT REAR ABS SENSOR
(wich explains why abs activates almost everytime i step on brakes with no light so i unplugged it sensor cost alot.)

Dealer Reported 03/30/2005 85429 0047801 REPLACED KEY BATTERY, EXHAUST NOISE SEEMS TO BE COMING FROM FRONT CATALYTIC CONV
(noise has been there since 05 and not fixed soo just getting worse i guess answers my question of if more then one cat converter)

Dealer Reported 04/12/2004 65690 0027659 R&R MASS AIRFLOW SENSOR
(not sure how long these are good for but its like 130k miles old should i replace?)

Dealer Reported 03/11/2003 42466 0090861 CRNKSHFT REAR OIL SEAL (ATM) R&R
(thats a big job isnt it only at 42k hmmm.)

Dealer Reported 10/08/2002 Ray Catena Lexus of Larchmont 37402 0112731 C/S CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON *REPLACE REAR A/F RATIO SENSOR*
(just replaced this one 2 weeks ago i guess 156k is good life for a af sensor or could something cause it to go bad)

Dealer Reported 01/14/2002 Ray Catena Lexus of Larchmont 27863 0098201 C/S CAR MAKES NOISE-EXHAUST??? *REPLACE BROKEN FLEX PIPE
Dealer Reported 01/14/2002 Ray Catena Lexus of Larchmont 27863 0098201 *REMOVE CAT CONVERTOR;DRILL OUT BROKEN STUDS*

(wish they would explain more)

well thats all majors i see there are 4 pages of them few oil fluid changes some problems with the door handle inspect horn oth w.e. that is

sooo at 194k what can i do to make this car in tip top shape and help it last forever. ill start a checklist hope you all can add to it. will be performing all steps in jan/feb soo trying to get a little research in as i will be doing most of it myself except the exhaust and anything else i cannot find a DIY for.
  1. new exhaust first cat back
  2. drain and fill coolant
  3. drain and fill tranny fluid + clean pan and magnets
  4. power steering fljuid drain and fill
  5. change timing belt and water pump
  6. fix the noise coming from rear tires
  7. new rotors brakes
  8. fix the ebrake (anybody have a DIY on Ebrake replacement the whole thing?)

that is all i can think of.. all i have done since i bought the car was fix starter, an a/f sensor, rotated tires, patched exhaust with puddy crap lasts for 3 weeks, and regular oil changes last one changed to synthetic oil not sure whats better for the rx300. soo any tips would help just trying to get car tip top shape so i can maintain from a fresh good start thanks for reading thanks in advance for all your tips and tricks.
Old 12-21-11, 12:37 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Amblyn dual exhaust setup has more airflow more mileages per gallon. I replaced the oem resonator with Magnaflow also. Here is the link for sounds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5F_1dubJL0
Old 12-21-11, 01:29 PM
amblyn
Rookie

Originally Posted by gazi001
Amblyn dual exhaust setup has more airflow more mileages per gallon. I replaced the oem resonator with Magnaflow also.
i see it isnt that loud any vids of what inside sounds like also could you list the parts and the costs of them. i am going to have to pay someone to do this so i would like to have parts in hand and explain what i want can show them pictures of your car so they can get how to install it. as i am sure there will be welding involved not a one piece deal right. also what modifications did you have to make in order for all piping to be ran is yours awd how much of exhaust does this replace.
Old 12-21-11, 02:51 PM
amblyn
Rookie

this is my exhaust problems and what im trying to solve the 2 mufflers in back (guess they are both mufflers) are ok the pipe between the first muffler and i guess the most rear cat or w.e. it is i have arrow asking if its a car there is a small leak where a braket was held on above the o2 sensor havent fully investigated the noise up front but sounds more like rattling then a leak

new exhaust suggestions anybody-exhaust.jpg
Old 12-21-11, 10:54 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is cat. converter. There is a gasket between cat and the no. 11 resonator. Any cat shop they could replace for you. I saw those parts are very rusty. I bought dual exhaust from e-bay Germany. Not that much welding.
Old 12-22-11, 10:03 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

The gaskets are really the only thing to take a look at and any cracks in the pipe that may need welds (or replacement assuming it's really bad, but this would be pretty self-evident). Those gaskets that before the main cat gave me trouble over the years, but I eventually eliminated those and went just pipe only on my RX300. See page 3 of my car domain link below.
Old 12-22-11, 06:46 PM
amblyn
Rookie

Originally Posted by gazi001
This is cat. converter. There is a gasket between cat and the no. 11 resonator. Any cat shop they could replace for you. I saw those parts are very rusty. I bought dual exhaust from e-bay Germany. Not that much welding.
I brought it to a shop, wish was just a gasket, what happened is there is well was a bracket there and must have rusted off wich created a hole guy said metal is too weak toweld so he tried brazing it w.e that means and that lasted a week soo ibought this exaust patch stuff like a gooey stuff and cleaned it up put it on have toredo it once a month doesnt quite do the job you know. So since ill have extra money figured id replace whole exhaust solve that issue and any to come up soon. But doesnt look like i can buy full exhaust all in one shot so need a list of part names looks like itsgoing to cost alot seeing each cat cost 300 and up. Should i use aftermarket factory im no mechanic just have basic knowledge of howthings work. Hate to bring it to a sshop and have them charge me outragous prices for parts and labor looking to get parts and hopefully shop can redmove old install new without raping me on labor. Also my rx is supposadly CA emissions but i live in ct so do i still have to install CA stuff since car dwas made that way or is that how shops get more money outta me
Old 12-23-11, 07:04 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

I brought it to a shop, wish was just a gasket, what happened is there is well was a bracket there and must have rusted off wich created a hole guy said metal is too weak toweld so he tried brazing it w.e that means and that lasted a week soo ibought this exaust patch stuff like a gooey stuff and cleaned it up put it on have toredo it once a month doesnt quite do the job you know. So since ill have extra money figured id replace whole exhaust solve that issue and any to come up soon. But doesnt look like i can buy full exhaust all in one shot so need a list of part names looks like itsgoing to cost alot seeing each cat cost 300 and up. Should i use aftermarket factory im no mechanic just have basic knowledge of howthings work. Hate to bring it to a sshop and have them charge me outragous prices for parts and labor looking to get parts and hopefully shop can redmove old install new without raping me on labor. Also my rx is supposadly CA emissions but i live in ct so do i still have to install CA stuff since car dwas made that way or is that how shops get more money outta me
First, if you are able to take photos of these affected areas, it would highly help us even more.

Interesting thing about Connecticut Emissions now is that for 1996+ vehicles it's just an OBD2 test and not a tailpipe, http://www.ctemissions.com/expect-newer.html

It's very conceivable to have aftermarket stuff and pass OBD2.

How would I know?

I have so much aftermarket stuff on my exhaust, but it passed Mexico City emissions (we don't have any in Florida) and would easily pass an OBD2 test. That means one, no check engine lights and two, the readiness monitors on your vehicle are functioning. There's an OBD2 reader from Autel I keep in my RX300 that checks for codes and also the readiness monitors, http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan...4651797&sr=8-1

Very handy little device to have and I often give it to friends and family members as gifts (works for 1996+ and newer vehicles including even new vehicles with the CAN protocol).

The only nice thing about the factory piping is that it's not crimped (meaning it has a Mandrel bent) and is nice and smooth. Most exhaust shops don't do Mandrel bends.

Conceivably, you can have an exhaust shop cut off sections of pipe and put in new piping. They can expand the size the new pipe a bit (see machine below) and fit in there and do a decent weld job and repair the pipe that way. I've done that too many times to count for modification purposes.

I've dealt with some exhaust shops in Florida and even Mexico that like to claim they won't do a certain job like I described and want to do, "a professional job" and that means more cost to you. Don't accept that. Money talks in this economy and if someone won't do it, someone else will. Even on those little tiny places say between the gasket and the cat, a shop can do that and fix it. Everyone these days tries to upsell people on this or that to get more $$$ and it's 99.9% of the time unnecessary.
Attached Thumbnails new exhaust suggestions anybody-img_0912.jpg  
Old 12-23-11, 09:13 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

If it is pipe section, it can be cut and new pirce can be welded in.

It seems the shop is trying the cheapest alternative for you.There may be competence issue but they seem to be trying by brazing and patching.

The next option would be to replace only the piece that has a problem.Unless the whole system is rusted out.

Salim
Old 12-23-11, 08:30 PM
amblyn
Rookie

Originally Posted by salimshah
If it is pipe section, it can be cut and new pirce can be welded in.

It seems the shop is trying the cheapest alternative for you.There may be competence issue but they seem to be trying by brazing and patching.

The next option would be to replace only the piece that has a problem.Unless the whole system is rusted out.

Salim
I do not have my camera so ill describe it better go outside to driver side of your car (hoping you have stock exhaust or remember it) look under front of driver side door you will see a cat then back to rear more you see the i guess is resonator (thing looks like a muffler right??) Well right after cat before the resonator there is about 2 to 3 inches of pipe wich includes the o2 sensor that is peice of pipe that for sure has a leak its on top where bracket was. Is it possible to cut and weld that. Or do i haveto buy cat converter stock that comes with that peice of piping or as one mechidiot told me do i haveto buy exhaust from cat back to muffler in rear because thats the way it comes.

Cars 11 years old rest of exhaust should be fine these newer cars exhaust pipes are stainless steel or something arent they? Supposed to last. As for noise upfront think its just a heat shield any good way to test for exhaust leaks in my driveway saw in some post here to cover exhaust exit with rag but not sure if that was a sarcastic one or not.

You guys are the best thanks for all your time,help,and suggestions. You all give me hope in my rx300 2 months ago i almost traded it in. Guy had an 03 explorer xlt v8 selling for 4900 with 120k almost traded him even just car for car. But now i just want to fix up the rx to as close as perfect.

Id hate to repair one section of exhaust then two months later another part fails so figured if i can get a full exhaust system new for 2k or less solve any futre problems and present. Lexmex what exhaust setup do u have i view internet thru a ps3 so ur link doesnt show up if i can benifit alot over time by upgrading to performance exhaust then i will always looking to gain mpg.

Are these rx's the type or cars where you dont want to "fix it unless its broken" kinda thing. Like i said i want to make up for lack of and unknown maintinance before bigger problems occur so im in for all suggestions on wlnot only my exhaust but other things to change out at 194k only major thing i know are my current issues with exhaust and my rear end making noise sounds like pass rear tire womp womp womp at all speeds loudeer when turning left same while braking cant get any advice on that problem ive switched tires rotors no change still coming from there its awd any ideas

Quick Reply: new exhaust suggestions anybody