RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

HID to Halogen conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-11, 10:57 AM
visikov
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID to Halogen conversion?

I had to replace both my headlights, due to them being smashed in from an accident. I ordered a pair of the Anzo 111047's. However, those are halogen bulbs and the stock lights on my 2001 RX300 are HIDs.

I need to know if there is a way to convert the wiring so that I can actually install the whole assembly properly without having to modify the Anzo's to fit my HID bulbs.

Alternatively, if this isn't an option, I was wondering if anyone here has modified a halogen headlight assembly to fit their HID's.

Which would be the cheaper option here? Which would be easier?

Also, I should mention that one of my ballasts needs to be replaced and let's just say that returning the Anzo's is not an option, so please factor that in as well.

Thanks.
Old 12-19-11, 11:50 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

I suggest you try and return the Anzo's.
You'd rather have HID lights, than halogen.
Old 12-19-11, 11:56 AM
visikov
Driver School Candidate

That's what I was thinking of doing...

Do you know of any after market lights that would fit HID's?

Update:

Upon further research, there appears to be no retailer that sells the HID headlight assembly. I talked it over with my mechanic and we're going to modify the Azno's to fit the HID bulbs. I'll take pictures to document the whole process and post it on here when it's done. Shouldn't be more than a week or two from now.

Last edited by visikov; 12-19-11 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-19-11, 10:33 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by visikov
I had to replace both my headlights, due to them being smashed in from an accident. I ordered a pair of the Anzo 111047's. However, those are halogen bulbs and the stock lights on my 2001 RX300 are HIDs.

I need to know if there is a way to convert the wiring so that I can actually install the whole assembly properly without having to modify the Anzo's to fit my HID bulbs.

Alternatively, if this isn't an option, I was wondering if anyone here has modified a halogen headlight assembly to fit their HID's.

Which would be the cheaper option here? Which would be easier?

Also, I should mention that one of my ballasts needs to be replaced and let's just say that returning the Anzo's is not an option, so please factor that in as well.

Thanks.
The electrical circuits are different. As a simple example, you can not put in a filament bulb in fluorescent tube fixture.Your HID (assuming it was a factory option) has self leveling motors and wiring.

I would suggest look for a used set.

How bad is the damage to the mounting?

Salim
Old 02-02-17, 09:20 PM
propane
Driver School Candidate

I have the same question and issue. I can't find anyone selling HID replacements which to me is really odd. I wanted to find HID headlights in black, and they are ALL halogen. I had to return the pair I bought as I learned about the wiring being different the hard way. I know I don't want to downgrade as HID is better, the self leveling is cool, but there does not seem to be much options. Maybe I buy a used set, and manually make the lights black. Anyone has a good resource link for that? Any better solutions?
Old 05-15-18, 05:47 PM
Kevvo1
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Tired of polishing my HID 01 RX300 headlight, I ordered new housing. Listing said for 2001-2003 models. Turned out was for 99-00 (HALOGEN models) All the Ebay listings are misleading.
Job was NOT a PLUG & PLAY one. Difference is the wiring harness, housing, and among other things..

Was hoping someone would have done a HID -> HALOGEN conversioon
Worse part is, I didn't find out until I took my headlight off and had them side-by-side
I only wanted a clear headlight to match my other one...someone cry with meee wahh

P.s. I'm venting but also WARNING!! owners to buy correct headlight...
I was not able to find an HID->HALOGEN converssion.
Old 05-16-18, 09:04 PM
salimshah

After cleaning do you put some uv-protectant to seal the plastic lens?

Salim
Old 05-17-18, 12:13 PM
Kevvo1
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Got a Headlight restorer & Headlight UV sealer from Toyota, called BlueMagic.
It clears up a little. The sealer deosn't work very well, if at all...Directions say spray, rub, let dry but all it does is bead up lol

Anyone use something else? or that $60 clear film?

This is the only before shot i have

And after. Yeah, the black bands didn't look as nice

Last edited by Kevvo1; 05-17-18 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-20-19, 07:20 PM
Jbrish
Driver School Candidate

Default JDM HID to halogen

Hello, sorry to dredge up an old thread but it seemed relevant.

I'm looking at importing a 2001 JDM Lexus RX300 (Toyota Harrier) that comes with OEM RHD HIDs. I've been can't seem to find any info on what's required wiring wise to convert an OEM HID system to halogen bulbs. After replacing headlight assemblies and bulbs, and disconnecting OEM ballasts, is it relatively plug and play or does it require a custom wiring harness or something?
Old 12-20-19, 08:49 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Jbrish
Hello, sorry to dredge up an old thread but it seemed relevant.

I'm looking at importing a 2001 JDM Lexus RX300 (Toyota Harrier) that comes with OEM RHD HIDs. I've been can't seem to find any info on what's required wiring wise to convert an OEM HID system to halogen bulbs. After replacing headlight assemblies and bulbs, and disconnecting OEM ballasts, is it relatively plug and play or does it require a custom wiring harness or something?
Any special reason why you want to downgrade?

You can disconnect the self leveling motor. Replace the whole housing. You will need a different socket and will need to wire to the bulb. Easiest would be to eject the ballast and use the activating line to switch a relay .. run 12v to the secondary side of the relay and connect the other end to the light-bulb. I suggest this as the activating line may not be able to handle the current needed to light up the bulbs.

Salim
Old 12-21-19, 06:56 AM
Jbrish
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Any special reason why you want to downgrade?

You can disconnect the self leveling motor. Replace the whole housing. You will need a different socket and will need to wire to the bulb. Easiest would be to eject the ballast and use the activating line to switch a relay .. run 12v to the secondary side of the relay and connect the other end to the light-bulb. I suggest this as the activating line may not be able to handle the current needed to light up the bulbs.

Salim
Thanks for the detail, that doesn't seem too bad. The reason to downgrade is entirely the housing price, the LHD HID assemblies are super pricey, up to ~1500 a piece. I can't find just the housings anywhere near Canada. Even used and super foggy they are ~400 for a pair, and not sure they can be brought back to life and pass an inspection. Halogen assemblies are a fraction of the cost (100-200 a pair) and are widely available. Another bonus is there's a lot of selection for bulbs that fit into halogen housings.
Old 12-26-19, 12:45 PM
Phil01
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2001 and want to know how do I tell what headlamps it has? As far as I know Everything on this car is stock. The hazing on the headlight housing is bad enough that I want to replace them but I don't want to get into rewiring a bunch of stuff. Rock Auto has HID and Halogen housings for a reasonable price.

/
Old 12-26-19, 01:00 PM
Jbrish
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Phil01
I have a 2001 and want to know how do I tell what headlamps it has? As far as I know Everything on this car is stock. The hazing on the headlight housing is bad enough that I want to replace them but I don't want to get into rewiring a bunch of stuff. Rock Auto has HID and Halogen housings for a reasonable price.

/
HIDs have a metal soccer ball looking thing in front of the bulb and a yellow sticker on top of the assemblies, regular halogens have a little metal cone over the bulbs.
Old 12-26-19, 03:05 PM
Phil01
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jbrish
HIDs have a metal soccer ball looking thing in front of the bulb and a yellow sticker on top of the assemblies, regular halogens have a little metal cone over the bulbs.
Mine have the cone in front of the bulbs. Are the HIDs the headlights i see on some cars that have a white light instead of the yellowish ones?
Old 12-26-19, 03:47 PM
Jbrish
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Phil01
Mine have the cone in front of the bulbs. Are the HIDs the headlights i see on some cars that have a white light instead of the yellowish ones?
Exactly, it stands for High Intensity Discharge, or sometimes called Xenon bulbs.

Quick Reply: HID to Halogen conversion?