RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

rough low idle tried everything......

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-12, 03:41 PM
amblyn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough low idle tried everything......

So yesterday noticed a rough idle and a low one so clublexus here i come.

Search find out to clean iacv by spraying throttle body cleaner into little hole. i do this.
Then clean maf. i do this
then i read about a pcv valve so i buy a new one
So i am pulling old pcv valve and managed to somehow snap off the connector to the coolant temp. sensor. great.

So i get go buy a new one 25 dollars. go home take rest of old on out burnt my fingers a little eh ok. i put new on in. now i am confused on how tight so i google find 14 ft pounds so i do that
start the car up let it run all is well then i drive come back park and check see antifreeze leaking so i thought just what i spilled before.
Nope so i figure i have to put thread sealer on go to take sensor out and snap it breaks. go replace put it in finger tight to stop leak get home where tools are go to tighten didnt even get socket on and this ones snapped wtf.
Go to replace they have no more get a refund go elswhere got on had a mechanic put it in solved
so im driving home check eng comes on back to azone p1135 i just teplaced b1s1 last month so i hop under car damn thing unplugged itself nice..

Now back to rough idle so i linked it to all these issues i ckeaned maf iacv and new pcv and now cts. plugged af sensor back in still low rough idle...
D
Attached Thumbnails rough low idle tried everything......-20120105_175812.jpg   rough low idle tried everything......-20120105_175829.jpg  
Old 01-05-12, 03:44 PM
amblyn
Rookie

Also is it normal for engine temp to be up that high
first pic is in park second in drive i can feel diff but guess you cant see it
Old 01-05-12, 03:50 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

The idle look's fine, it's isn't too low. Give the ECU some time to adjust after you cleaned everything. Did you reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery?

The engine temperature look's fine as well, but it shouldn't go any higher that where it is now. In fact, after changing out my coolant two weeks ago, my temperature gauge stays a bit lower than where yours is.
Old 01-05-12, 05:03 PM
amblyn
Rookie

Originally Posted by hypervish
The idle look's fine, it's isn't too low. Give the ECU some time to adjust after you cleaned everything. Did you reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery?

The engine temperature look's fine as well, but it shouldn't go any higher that where it is now. In fact, after changing out my coolant two weeks ago, my temperature gauge stays a bit lower than where yours is.
Well i reset it i think 3 or 4 times today by pulling the fuse didnt remember wich to pull so i pulled the 20 amp i think ecu and w.e the one to the right of it was a 7,5 amp to reset my codes after my little fiasco. really wanted to drive it off a cliff today.so finally just did last reset by fuse about 3 hours ago but only driven 8 miles ir so thanks for your input man i have been going crazy all day. i mean really an a/f sensor just unplugs it self you know so good to hear idle is normal hopefully it will smooth out .

I notice a noticable change in rpms when i eitger turn the wheel,roll up or down a window,or step on brakes while parked sometging i never really noticed before. or atleast didnt pay attention to ill drive around a but and update accordingly
Old 01-05-12, 05:43 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Could be a long shot, but maybe the battery?
Old 01-10-12, 10:51 AM
Sturds
Driver School Candidate

That is exactly where mine idles the temp is fine too. Mine will idle then bog a bit and then idle comes back up learned to live with it. The only thing I've done that helped it is adjust the throttle cable as described in the DIY Section this helped a little as it will slightly raise the idle speed.
Old 01-10-12, 02:04 PM
amblyn
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sturds
That is exactly where mine idles the temp is fine too. Mine will idle then bog a bit and then idle comes back up learned to live with it. The only thing I've done that helped it is adjust the throttle cable as described in the DIY Section this helped a little as it will slightly raise the idle speed.
hey thanks all for suggestions . i think i am a hypercondriac (spelling?) when it comes to my car... after steps listed above it improved i think was all due to magically unplugged af sensor. so then any vibration felt mostly at idle in drive i think is due to tiny exhaust leak i have so once i fix that ill see how it goes. thanks again