RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Indigo Ink Pearl = a nightmare to keep clean?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-02, 04:57 PM
Will49
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indigo Ink Pearl = a nightmare to keep clean?

I'm looking at buying a 2001 RX300 in Indigo Ink Pearl. I fell in love with the blue color the moment I drove on the lot. However it seems to show up *every* single fingerprint and bit of dirt. Also on this particular one, there are loads of tiny scratch lines around the door handles that show up as white lines. Obviously the last owner opened the doors with keys in hand or something.

Anyway, I was looking for comments from others on what they think of this color in terms of being a nightmare to keep clean and free from scratch marks. It certainly seems like it would need much more attention than white for example.

Also has the blue color only been out on the 2001-02 models? I have yet to see one actually on the road, and was wondering if this is just a really unpopular color or what....

Thanks
Old 10-10-02, 06:06 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mmmm...Indigo Ink Pearl.

That's what I would have purchased if they had it on the lot. I had to settle for Black Onyx...Wait...Settle...for a Lexus...NOT!

As far as showing "*every* single fingerprint and bit of dirt", that's debatable and preventable. The protectant that is applied, and how you choose to maintain the finsh has a great deal to do with this issue.

True, dark cars require a couple additional steps/products to maintain their beauty, but I would not characterize these steps as "a nightmare to keep clean and free from scratch marks".

A dark car has a reflective beauty that mid-tones (silver & gold) will never have. White and other light vehicles can look worse, when dirty, than a dark vehicle. When clean and detailed, a dark vehicle has a look that no lighter hue can match

If you do not have a garage, then this color will become a labor of love or a labor to look at. I drive a black RX 300. It's beautiful.

The key scratches? Can you feel them with your fingertips? If so, then they will require professional attention. If you can't feel them, they can be lessened and (probably) eventually removed.

I've seen a few Indigo Blue RX 300's on the east coast. I likey!
Old 10-10-02, 08:12 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it Certified Preowned? If it is then you can probably get the dealership to spring for the removal of those scratches before you take delivery.

Believe me, I know what you're going through. I've never had a dark colored car, my parents never even had dark colored cars when I was growing up, and I've always heard they're a nightmare. Listen to Daddy-O though, he made me feel better about it.
Old 10-10-02, 08:23 PM
Will49
Driver School Candidate

Thank you both for the advice.

No it's not certified, but is from a Lexus dealer (see my separate message "Where to get buying advice for used RX300").

I did a very "informal test" last night at the dealer and put my dirty fingerprints on each color :-) The blue was by far the worse, next was the black. With all the other colors you couldn't even tell they had been touched.

The scratches are really really fine and you can just about feel them with your fingernail. It just makes me worried that any future "incidents" are going to give the same kind of problems. I have a dark green Honda now and I must admit it's not easy to keep clean, however *when* it is clean, it looks great. Also in areas where the bumper has been impacted and bent & cracked the paint, it shows up as a spider-web of fine white lines. On a lighter color you would never see it.

I'm just debating if I should play it stafe and go with one of the boring whiteish colors, or go for my dream color of dark blue..... ahh!

Last edited by Will49; 10-10-02 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-10-02, 08:39 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the way I see it, are people gonna be bumping into it? If you park often in city areas where theres a lot of people moving around, then you might be better off to get a easier color (the Blue Vapor on the RX is really nice, bluish silver). I've driven a white Explorer for going on 5 years now, and I've had some people bimp into me etc, but I've always had it repaired. People still think the Explorer is new, so I figured I could handle the darker color.

Here's how I look at it, I've loved my Explorer, and its an Explorer. I'm REALLY gonna love my Lexus and I'm gonna take great care of it, so it really doesnt matter what color it is. I might as well enjoy the improved asthetics of a dark color.

If you don't want to be bothered with maintaining your cars appearance, and a run through a carwash makes you happy then something easy, white pearl, silver, gold is best.

If you're willing to devote the time, then go for what you want.
Old 10-18-02, 10:04 AM
njmmmom
Driver School Candidate

We've got a 2001 indigo ink pearl and I love the color!! It really looks fabulous under the sun. We don;t see it often, we even had to wait a couple of extra weeks to get it.

As for keeping it clean, it does seem to show dirt a little more than the lighter colors. But don;t think it is that much different than black. We also have the same scratches on the driver's door. I think it came even from just nails scratching it. Ours are white but not very deep. Haven't had a chance to try to compound them out.

I'd say go for it! I enjoy having a car that is a little different that all the others on the road -- makes it stand out more!!
Old 10-18-02, 02:32 PM
gsenthil
Pole Position

Default Dark Colors

My friend bought a Black RX in AZ. Go figure. Actually all of my friends (in AZ) and I have bought black cars. Yea- it is a ***** to maintain. But looks really beautiful.

The bottomline is - buy what you like.

If you feel you would feel safer with light colors try Blue Vapor or Mineral Green. I think both are light yet stand out from the crowd. I would have bought one of those colors if I didnt have the option of a Silver Sport Black (or Silver)