RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

High Mileage RX Owners, Speak Up!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-14, 09:15 PM
nccareer
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1999 with 191,000 miles of reliable driving

I am quite excited about seeing folks approach 500,000 miles and I am in the process of refurbishing my 99 Rx300 FWD as I approach 200,000 miles. Here is my plan for upgrades and preventative maintenance:

-- Recover leather seats with leatherseats.com, Katzkin, or ????
-- Install new fuel pump and filter
-- New timing belt and replace water pump (never been done)!
-- New windshield to eliminate dings
-- Paint trim, touch up dings, complete buff and wax
-- New headlights and rear tail lights (getting rid of the red ones)
-- New 6.5 inch speakers
-- New 5 inch woofer
-- Add Bluetooth functionality
-- Flush trans.

Did I miss anything????????

Prior replacements:
-- New starter added by dealer at 90K service
-- Replaced alternator brushes at 180K
-- New timing belt at 100K (no water pump)
-- Replaced struts, etc. with KYB at 130K miles
-- Replaced a few Oxygen Sensors
-- Recently replaced mass air flow sensor
-- New head gaskets
-- Brakes, rotors, tires plugs as needed

Typical maintenance:
-- Mobile One 5W30 Extended every 5000 miles with K&N filter.
-- Tranny drain & fill at 30K, flush at 60K, screen cleaning at 120K
Old 11-11-14, 08:28 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by nccareer

-- Flush trans.

Did I miss anything????????
I suggest against flush.

Saim
Old 11-13-14, 04:31 AM
Ted404
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My rx 300 has 160k. It had a new transmission at 90k under warranty (previous owner) and I just replaced the variable timing solenoidn. I have some heating issues but the car runs and rides great
Old 01-04-15, 08:40 AM
dalerk
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Recently retired from work, so the 2000 RX 300 no longer does the 70-80 mile round trip daily commute. Just passed the 303,000 miles mark this past weekend in Yosemite battling New Year's Day crowds. Since my last post over a year ago at 276,000 miles, I've put in another timing chain, flushed fluids, and had new rotors and brakes all around. First time for the rotors, 3rd set of brakes.

Do regular maintenance every 5k at the local Toyota dealership that treats customers very well. Have had a couple problems with service attendants, but management immediately stepped in to resolve the issues in my favor. They've done all service since I originally purchased off lease in 2002. They hand-wash the RX for free, and give courtesy rides home when needed.

Pulled the sheepskin covers off about six months ago as they were beginning to show their wear, and the original leather is still holding up quite well. Passenger side and rear seats look almost new; driver's side is showing some cracking and fading of leather dye. Will probably put new covers on in the near future.

Last edited by dalerk; 01-04-15 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-05-15, 05:31 AM
bobschultz
Driver School Candidate

Before u trash your existing interior, take a look at colorplus.com and see if u can just revitalize the leather then redye. I recently did this on my Porsche and the results were fantastic. Not new but significantly better.

Bob
Old 05-05-15, 07:04 PM
10acimport
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2000 RX300 with 243000 and still going strong

I have 243000 miles and still going strong . Bought 6 months ago .
Had to replace catalytic converter ( no problem , only had 4 bolts with easy access. )ordered online for $156.00 , mechanic wanted $700.00 plus. Wonder why mechanics get a bad name ,lol.
New battery and of course then new alternator .
Been working on cars for years and learned a new part with my old Lexus . The VVT OCV .Thought it was the timing belt until I noticed it was all on one side . $80.00 later with one bolt, fixed. But I spent a night sifting through forums for help.
Squeaky steering led me to a dry rubber firewall boot .White lithium and its fixed . Squeaky window got the heavy duty silicone in the track slide and its fixed.
I also own a Tundra with 253000 on it and will drive it till it or I die .
Old 05-06-15, 09:39 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Wow! sounds like you def have some high mileagers there!; but for yours to have 200,000+ on it and it still be going strong; that should show the longevity of lexus/toyota vehicles. Ive always known that toyata products are like rock solid. They just seem like the energizer bunny and just dont want to die lol. They keep going and going and going........

And i thought mine had a lot of miles at only 136,000+ on it.
Old 05-06-15, 09:13 PM
dbarber45
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just purchased a 1999 RX300 with a little over 300,000 miles on it and I must say it runs and drives like a car with just 50,000 miles. The leather seats and inside are well kept. I do plan to change the oxygen sensors and knock sensors because I have a PO171 and a PO330 code that was showing on the car the day I bought it. Haven't pulled the plugs yet. But the car has good smooth acceleration in town. Avoiding highway speeds until I replace knock sensors. Will probably do the transmission flush right off the bat as well. Then just the usual fluid changes. Hoping to get another 200,000 miles from it. Wife loves the color too. It is almost copper-like although I think the Lexus color scheme lists it as something like Desert Sierra. Car Fax shows I am the fourth owner.
Old 05-07-15, 08:19 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by dbarber45
I just purchased a 1999 RX300 with a little over 300,000 miles on it and I must say it runs and drives like a car with just 50,000 miles. The leather seats and inside are well kept. I do plan to change the oxygen sensors and knock sensors because I have a PO171 and a PO330 code that was showing on the car the day I bought it. Haven't pulled the plugs yet. But the car has good smooth acceleration in town. Avoiding highway speeds until I replace knock sensors. Will probably do the transmission flush right off the bat as well. Then just the usual fluid changes. Hoping to get another 200,000 miles from it. Wife loves the color too. It is almost copper-like although I think the Lexus color scheme lists it as something like Desert Sierra. Car Fax shows I am the fourth owner.
300,000!!!...WOW!!!....just yet another example of how rock solid the old school toyota products are!(well they are so long as like anything; you do proper maintenance at the required intervals, etc)
Old 05-07-15, 02:55 PM
DewHawk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 1999 Rx300 new and still have it pushing 140,00 miles. Repairs have been, batteries, starter, gaskets, tires, wheel bearing, struts, etc, I plan on driving another 5 years and giving it to my granddaughter. Still runs and drives great.
Old 05-09-15, 12:25 PM
RX300Crys
Driver School Candidate

Default 2003 rx300

I was the second owner. I bought it in 2007 with 30k miles. The transmission died 2 weeks ago at 287,242 miles. I got my money's worth! I hope to buy an RX 400h today.
The only major repairs were wear and tear...timing belt etc.
Old 09-02-15, 04:51 PM
dalerk
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2000 RX 300 still going strong

Have just passed the 310,000 mile mark with service at the local Toyota dealership. Have done all maintenance schedules as per Lexus recommendations since 2002, and religiously change oil every 5k, topping off all fluids, checking alignment, and rotating tires. Last cost yesterday: $86.06

I've used the AWD once in all these years in a mild snow at our vacation home. It worked beautifully. Have hauled my Harley on trailer throughout the southwest; pontoon boat up to lake and back; and often pull the utility trailer hauling items to the compost yard in our community. It's never skipped a beat in all these uses.

When we trailered the Harley back to California, we went through the Mojave Desert at 112 degrees, stopped to take pictures at a promontory overlooking the valley, and got back into the cab with the A/C temperature set at 73 degrees. The temperature gauge never moved one iota in the heat, with A/C, pulling the trailer up a relatively moderate mountain grade. Pretty impressive.

All in all, for the past 13 years, the RX 300 has performed admirably as a hauling SUV and simultaneously as a luxury vehicle. It is still the quietest vehicle we drive with an excellent sound system that is second to none. The only wish: if it had a third row seat.
The following users liked this post:
JosiM (07-07-19)
Old 09-02-15, 05:57 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Original owner, 99 RX, 230K.
Old 09-03-15, 09:08 AM
RX300Crys
Driver School Candidate

Default This why I LOVE Lexus!

I was hoping for more than 300k on mine. It didn't happen, but I am still grateful. I now have a RX 400 hybrid. Love it. I hope to drive it to 280k or 300k. To be honest, I did all the maintenance on my RX 300 but it was not always on time. So, 287k was awesome. My mom has two of the Lexus cars...gifts from my dad. Now, he drives one. The cars are sporty and drive nice, but she has had some problems. It is weird electrical stuff that despite repeated repairs continue to be a problem. I have heard nothing of the sort with the SUVs. I wish the key remotes would last as long as the vehicles.

Originally Posted by dalerk
Have just passed the 310,000 mile mark with service at the local Toyota dealership. Have done all maintenance schedules as per Lexus recommendations since 2002, and religiously change oil every 5k, topping off all fluids, checking alignment, and rotating tires. Last cost yesterday: $86.06

I've used the AWD once in all these years in a mild snow at our vacation home. It worked beautifully. Have hauled my Harley on trailer throughout the southwest; pontoon boat up to lake and back; and often pull the utility trailer hauling items to the compost yard in our community. It's never skipped a beat in all these uses.

When we trailered the Harley back to California, we went through the Mojave Desert at 112 degrees, stopped to take pictures at a promontory overlooking the valley, and got back into the cab with the A/C temperature set at 73 degrees. The temperature gauge never moved one iota in the heat, with A/C, pulling the trailer up a relatively moderate mountain grade. Pretty impressive.

All in all, for the past 13 years, the RX 300 has performed admirably as a hauling SUV and simultaneously as a luxury vehicle. It is still the quietest vehicle we drive with an excellent sound system that is second to none. The only wish: if it had a third row seat.
Old 09-04-15, 01:05 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

234K on mine.

Parts that went south (and replaced)
Door lock actuator
Master auto window switch
engine oil control valve (for variable valve timing, I think)
Idle air control valve
radio antenna
air mix servo (climate control)
High beam relay
a bunch of maintenance items like pads, rotors, belts and stuff

Parts that need replacing now:
Door lock actuator (again)
Air mix servo (again)
Trunk door shocks (both sides)
The "D" light
Ashtray door (it sticks)
drive shaft center support
Driver side carpet mat

Quick Reply: High Mileage RX Owners, Speak Up!