RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

High Mileage RX Owners, Speak Up!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-12, 04:57 AM
Hatchman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2002 AWD RX300 w/ 140,000

Bought it at 93,000, so pretty sure stock Timing belt, waterpump, and transmission.

I've had the usual problems:
Popped codes for dirty IAC and Throttle body, cleaned it
Both A/F sensors went out, replaced
Starter has worn contacts that need replacing
Flushed/filled/new filter on the tranny
Power antennae has always sounded like it is grinding rocks, still works though
New front brake pads and turned rotors, needs back pads
Flused the power steering and brake fluid
Replaced the front diff, rear diff, and transfer case with Mobil 1 lube oil.
4x brand new Michelins (much better than the Firestone Destinations)

My wife loves this car, it does everything, handles great in the rain and snow.
Wished it got better gas mileage and a little more power.
Old 07-07-13, 04:54 PM
Skypilot68
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 1999 Lexus RX300 with 268,000 on it. Bought it cheap because it was having VVT issues and oil leaks. Spent a week of evenings and a weekend replacing spark plugs, oil pressure valves, and it runs well. Now I'm having an electrical/stalling issue - Lexus dealer wasn't much help, they gave up after an hour and said it would take them a long time to,track it down, so it's back in my garage and I'm working through it. I do like the rig, handles well, drives out nicely, and it is a comfortable ride for my 55 mile commute.
Old 07-08-13, 05:26 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Mine is at 147K now after 5 months of ownership, only issue is the mixing valve for the AC system. Sounds like a mouse under the dash......

I really do enjoy driving this thing, and all I get are compliments like these:
"Oh, you drive a Lexus? Wow, your crap doesn't stink, does it??"
Or;
" That's right, you're driving a Lexus now..... You're better than us..."
I love my friends...
Old 07-13-13, 03:15 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Mine is at 147K now after 5 months of ownership, only issue is the mixing valve for the AC system. Sounds like a mouse under the dash......

I really do enjoy driving this thing, and all I get are compliments like these:
"Oh, you drive a Lexus? Wow, your crap doesn't stink, does it??"
Or;
" That's right, you're driving a Lexus now..... You're better than us..."
I love my friends...
What floors me is that when people see you are driving a Lexus, they tend to assume certain things. What they don't stop to think of is that you bought a 2000 model year car with 140k or so miles on it 5 months ago and since it is a Lexus they think you are rich and snobby?

Ignorance is not always bliss...Sometimes its just plain annoying.
Old 08-14-13, 03:31 PM
dalerk
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Still going strong

2000 AWD RX 300 purchased in 2002 with 27,500 miles off lease. Now just passed 276,000 miles with consistent 5,000 mile maintenance and following Lexus schedule last eleven years. Never been to a Lexus dealer outside warranty; use local Toyota dealership that treats me great.

Two oxygen sensors at 89,000; rebuilt tranny at 221,000; replaced own antennae after going through car wash; passenger side window actuator purchased from ebay at 247,000 miles. Changed brakes regularly and turned rotors when needed; replaced oil pan after dealership wore out drain plug threads from repeated oil changes over the years.

Hauls 17' pontoon boat and utility trailer for weekend odd'n ends; hauled Harley on trailer throughout southwest and through Death Valley (115 degrees); gets 17-20 MPG; not burning oil; temperature gauge never waivers whether at D. Valley or in Yosemite in winter. Been in the snow once without telling it what to do....sensors detected it automatically.

Hope to get 300,000 miles by summer next year.

Dale
Old 08-14-13, 08:15 PM
GrandmaCas
Driver School Candidate

Wink 2001 and 238,000 miles! and I still love it!

Bought my 2001 RX300 new. I have always followed manufactures recommendations and had a new timing belt (and whatever else was recommended) at 100,000 and at 220,000, and new brakes as needed. It now has 238,000 and needed brakes in the back. About a year ago, my mechanic retired, so I've gone to a couple of shops since. I decided to try a national brake shop. They said that my struts were shot. I couldn't afford both front and back so just had the back ones replaced. The ride seems much higher and feels solid.
Oh, I did have to replace the antennae; I hit the garage door!!
Old 08-19-13, 07:39 AM
dennismtyl
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 1999 RX300 AWD with 448k miles. I bought it at 80k. I haven't had any major repairs, other than transmission rebuild. I've done the timing belt twice Biggest problems I have is with mechanics creating problems. It run's like a champ. I expects it to make it to 500k without any issues. It burns 1 qt of oil in 5000 miles since I use only full synthetic I only top it off. I get much greater oil life because of the added oil. I don't change the oil until it feels like or looks like it needs to be changed. When there was the sludge problem I took it in to the Lexus dealership in St. Louis. They took me back into the shop and showed me the exposed engine. They said that it was the cleanest engine they had ever seen and asked what was I doing to keep it so clean. All I was doing was topping off the oil when it went down any. When I reach 500k I would be happy to let Lexus swap me for a new one.
The following users liked this post:
MontereyJa (10-10-20)
Old 08-19-13, 08:23 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by dennismtyl
I have 1999 RX300 AWD with 448k miles. I bought it at 80k. I haven't had any major repairs, other than transmission rebuild. I've done the timing belt twice Biggest problems I have is with mechanics creating problems. It run's like a champ. I expects it to make it to 500k without any issues. It burns 1 qt of oil in 5000 miles since I use only full synthetic I only top it off. I get much greater oil life because of the added oil. I don't change the oil until it feels like or looks like it needs to be changed. When there was the sludge problem I took it in to the Lexus dealership in St. Louis. They took me back into the shop and showed me the exposed engine. They said that it was the cleanest engine they had ever seen and asked what was I doing to keep it so clean. All I was doing was topping off the oil when it went down any. When I reach 500k I would be happy to let Lexus swap me for a new one.
Awesome!!!
Old 08-23-13, 06:58 PM
LagunaRx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 130,00 miles

Never been to the shop, Drives great. 2002 March delivery , got it at 15,000 miles. I do the transmission Castrol ATF every 15,000, , Mobil 1 every 7k . Have replaced 2 sensors, at 100k, only for mileage. This SUV has been outstanding! I do live in California have no weather issues. Lexmex, and all the tips have been incredible. Toyota products are great I have a 1997 Camry, with 200,000 still okay but wiil be soon sell. I have taken care of this car, so don't know if I could recommend a used RX-300. This will go at least 250,000 as is ,with maintenance per Club Lexus. Aloha Scott
PS Still have my original battery!
Old 08-26-13, 08:10 AM
claybones
Driver School Candidate

Have a 2001 RX FWD with 191,000. No unusual problems except check-engine-light issue. Drove it for last 40K with light on but now overdrive shuts down on a longer milage trips. Stopping car and restarting engine solves the problem for awhile. I need to get this resolved. Suggestions?
Old 08-26-13, 09:14 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by claybones
Have a 2001 RX FWD with 191,000. No unusual problems except check-engine-light issue. Drove it for last 40K with light on but now overdrive shuts down on a longer milage trips. Stopping car and restarting engine solves the problem for awhile. I need to get this resolved. Suggestions?
Please read having problems.. start here Mega thread sticky.

Salim
Old 12-24-13, 03:00 AM
Skaufman55
Driver School Candidate

Hi there,
I'm new to this site.
I have a 2002 Rx300 with 427,000 original miles on it.
Transmission done at 204,000 and 375,000.
Wondering what others have experienced
MontereyJa (10-10-20)
Old 12-24-13, 03:08 AM
Skaufman55
Driver School Candidate

Good for you! I feel same way. I have a 2002 RX300 with 427,000 miles on it.same with rebuilding trannies And topping off oil.
She drives like a champ.
Enjoy but don't keep your hopes up about Lexus replacing yours LOL
A few years back When I notified both Lexus and Volvo ( my other vehicle) that my cars had reached 100 K , I got a very nice letter from Volvo welcoming me to the 100 plus club ( no more decals).
You know. what I got from a Lexus? a nice letter suggesting I buy a new lone.
MontereyJa (10-10-20)
Old 12-24-13, 09:49 AM
scto1000
Driver School Candidate

Default 226,000 and now its acting up

I have a 1999 RX300 with 226,000... no major repairs at all. We aquirred the vehicle with 63,000 miles on it and put the rest on it ourself. We have had the vehicle for about 9 years and I have ZERO comp aints. The only repairs i have made are wear items only... Brake pads, oil changes, etc.... BUT, now we are having problems that I cannot figure out and I consider myself to be fairly mechanically inclined....as well as the two mechanic friends I have.
Here is the problem I am having and maybe someone can shed some light on the issue.... It will start and idle like a sewing machine, throttle up like a chanp in nuetral, all while nice and cool. It starts missing and acting up after runs a bit. This makes me think it is not the timing or fuel pump. it has new cat's in the exhaust and i hace cleaned the throttle body and idle air control. Kinda lost at wat to do from here.... Any help appreciated.
Oh, and its not throwing codes.....
Old 12-27-13, 02:07 PM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

2001 AWD with 358K miles. Just rebuilt the tranny 2 weeks ago. Replaced the original alternator at 350K. Nothing else of any substance besides wear items. I have changed the oil since new every 5K miles with M1. At around 250K miles I replaced the valve covers due to one of them starting to leak a little. The top end of the motor is clean as a whistle. It is using about 1 qt between oil changes. I am thinking about changing the valve cover as I have heard this will help. New PVC system design I believe.
My 16 year old son is now driving it, so lord only knows what's gonna happen now!
MontereyJa (10-10-20)

Quick Reply: High Mileage RX Owners, Speak Up!