RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

P1354 problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-11, 05:20 PM
Lexspeed
Pit Crew

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Default P1354 problem

With 182,000 miles on the clock of my 99 RX, I got my first DTC this week. Yes, can you believe it; my first DTC on this vehicle? It was a P1354 or VVT system malfunction bank 2. I did a search on the board and learned that a clogged oil control valve is a frequent culprit. So I pulled what I believed to be the bank 2 OCV to check it. I pulled the OVC that was in the cylinder head that is the most forward to the front of the vehicle. Is that bank two?

The OVC appeared to be fairly clean, with no gunk of any sort on the internals. I did spray a little carb cleaner and removed some residual oil, but that valve looked very clean given the mileage. How can I tell if this valve is still good or if it is the cause of the P1354? Should I just replace it with a new one? What else should I check to ensure that I resolve this code? The hour is late so I buttoned everything back up for the night and did not road test for a DTC. But I assume since I did not accomplish much of anything, the source of the code is still unresolved. Any suggestions for me at this point?
Old 11-16-11, 07:00 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

did you read this posting carefully, it has the best bang for the buck.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...lp-please.html
note there is a filter which also needs to be cleaned....
Old 11-17-11, 02:07 PM
Lexspeed
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by thomas1
did you read this posting carefully, it has the best bang for the buck.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...lp-please.html
note there is a filter which also needs to be cleaned....
thomas1, yes, I read that post, but apparently not well enough to note the location of the filter. After your comment I reread that thread and just got done removing the filter on what I believe to be bank 2 (the cylinder bank closest to the radiator). I found that filter to be very clear and free of any debris or gunk. It was not clogged. Given this, should I assume that the OCV is malfunctioning? I hate to simply just replace parts without having reason suspicion that the part is bad. What do you advise?

I am planning to pull the valve cover on that bank as the valve cover gasket on that cylinder head appears to be leaking. (the Lexus must have caught something from being parkied in the garage next to my Chevys ) I'll inspect the valve train for gunk, but given the nearly spotless OVC and screen, I am doubting I will find any sludge. I am not sure what else to look for at this point.
Old 12-03-11, 10:53 AM
Lexspeed
Pit Crew

Thumbs up

I just wanted to follow up on how I resolved my DTC light problem. I was able to track down the possibilities of what would cause a P1354. I took a chance that the problem was a faulty OCV (left bank or the cylinder closest to the radiator) so I purchased one at a Lexus dealer since they don't seem to be available from the common parts stores. The PN is 15340-0A010 and it cost me $103. After installing it and driving the RX a few times I have had no MIL so I believe that the OCV was faulty.

I'll keep everyone posted if anything changes. I want to thank Thomas1 and particulalry Lexmex for the excellent information he provided to help me do a careful diagnostic of the possible causes.
Old 01-16-12, 08:06 PM
bwilmoth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil control valve problem

I am having a similar problem with flashing engine light and intermittant cylinder 3 and 5 misfire. Do you have any information such as pictures or steps on how to get to these valves and filters to repair. My RX300 is a 99 with 189,000.

thanks

Brian
Old 01-16-12, 08:22 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by bwilmoth
I am having a similar problem with flashing engine light and intermittant cylinder 3 and 5 misfire. Do you have any information such as pictures or steps on how to get to these valves and filters to repair. My RX300 is a 99 with 189,000.

thanks

Brian
What are the codes? Flashing CEL doesn't mean bad OCV, it means that you got a Severe Misfire. Better not drive it in that condition or else you are gonna kill your Catalytic Converter and O2 sensors.
Old 01-23-12, 01:54 PM
Lexspeed
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bwilmoth

thanks

Brian
As GS4_fiend mentions, you need to diagnois based on specific codes and further reasoning. Don't just start replacing parts. I don't have any photos or much more info to be of help to you at this point based on the info you provided.