RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Resurfacing Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-11, 04:36 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Resurfacing Rotors?

My rotors are currently warped but under warranty. My brake pads still have enough "meat" for the rest of the winter, plus they also have warranty but I can only get replacements once they are worn down.

I don't want to change my pad's and rotors till around March, by that time my rotors will be out of warranty. Meaning, I'll have to buy new one's or get them resurfaced. I was wondering if resurfacing is a good idea, the rotors are basically new, they are about one year old. If resurfacing won't make it more prone to warping I'll do that.

The brake pads have a lifetime warranty, so I'll be getting them for free.

BTW: The rotors are from autozone, so they are probably Duralast Rotors. The pads are Duralast Ceramics.

In case you don't want to read the above, the point of this thread is:
  • How much does it cost to Resurface Rotors?
  • Is it worth it ? (new rotors would cost me about $60 from AutoZone , or about $100 from ebay)
  • Are they more prone to warping if I resurface them?
Old 10-11-11, 06:28 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

I have always been told that anytime you resurface a rotor, that is more prone to warp, but it is not a given by any means.

I think they get about $15 to resurface a pair around here.

If the rotors are still under warranty, I would take them back for another set for free. Now regarding the pads, it's sort of uncool, but you could just grind them down with a grinder or even chip off the pad with a chisel to finish them off. That way you are doing everything for free (not that I would ever do such a thing). Just make a second trip to return the old pads.

I actually have had great luck with the autozone pads and rotors. The only thing I have had any issues with is I usually need to polish/grind down the ears on the pads and use the stock metal guilds to get them to slide properly.
Old 10-11-11, 09:22 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Cost to resurface varies and your best bet would be to call couple of places. Oriley have a machine shop for vehicles. You can macine shops too, but I found one here in Austin who thought turning a rotor is a lowley job. Last I checked it was about $15 each rotor.
[Extra information: There are machines that mount on the vehicle and lot of time is saved as no disassembly and reassembly is needed]

Worth it or not, you are the best person to judge. [I am still on original rotors all around 160k miles and if I need to replace, i would only get OEM ... just because I am happy with the them, ymmv.

When you resurface, the metal gets thin and the heat stress deforms the metal quicker.

Salim
Old 10-12-11, 03:54 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

I really like the idea of the on car rotor resurfacing machines, but I think it costs a lot more $. I have always seen them run with the caliper/pads removed to keep junk from getting into them. Seems like a great way to get rid of run-out, but lots of time and $.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD2ECRu6Jf4
Old 10-12-11, 10:46 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

I see it between 12 and 15 dollars per rotor. I resurface them all the time and have had no problems. It does shorten the life a bit since you are removing material. You do not have to do anything to the pads when you resurface a rotor. I know some people say you do. The pad is the sacrificial part of the system and the pad will mate very quickly to the resurfaced rotor. I have been doing this for years. I had a 2000 ES for years and had problems with the rotors warping. OEM only. I actually had a spare set so I could swap them out in a bout 30 minutes. I don't know about Autozone but the Advance Auto brand of Wearever is horrible. I had nothing but problems with them. I have stuck with OEM Lexus or Raybestos rotors.
Old 10-12-11, 06:14 PM
C-Stone
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the rotors are warped, would that be covered under your warranty?

One thing to try to figure out is: What caused the warping? When I've gotten some cars back from a certain mechanic that rotated the tires, the lug nuts were so tight, one could barely loosen then with a large breaker bar. I am almost positive that warped a set or two of rotors. Now I retorque them properly when I get cars back from a garage.

You may want to ask if the "resurfacing" will actually remedy the warping. I thought resurfacing was primarily to smooth the surface of blemishes, scratches.

Anyway,... some things to think about.
Old 10-13-11, 03:40 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

The rotor's being warped, will be covered under warranty. (AutoZone doesn't care about it, they just hand you a new part, when you return the old. Well at least that's how my AutoZone is.)

I prefer OEM parts as well, but considering I'll be getting everything for free. I'll save the money this time around, so that next time I can get some OEM rotors.

The rotors are warped, because we had severe rain recently. (ie. Irene). I drove through gigantic puddles, one of which was right after a braked from 55-0 for a stop light.

By March, my warranty on the rotors will be expired. So, I won't be able to get replacement rotors for free. I will either get them resurfaced or buy a pair off of ebay. I never realized how cheap the rotors are on ebay, are they any good?
Old 10-13-11, 07:35 AM
iolmaster
Racer

I can only say that my personal experience with off brand rotors is not good. I have stayed with OEM for both the RX,SC and a Subaru for a number of years after going through a nightmare with aftermarket. The only brand I have had good luck with is Raybestos and that was years ago with an Oldsmobile. The aftermarket brands like Wearever, Bendix, and Wagner have not held up as good as the OEM Lexus. The Bendix did have a one year no questions warranty that I did take advantage of. I have 65,000 miles on the RX rotors and 40,000 on the SC and they are as good today as they were when new. (At least I can't tell the difference) It is hard to argue with that.
Old 10-13-11, 11:35 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with staying to OEM parts. The reason I have autozone brakes/rotors on now, is because I decided to replace them last minute since my road trip which was originally supposed to be 1200 miles turned into a 4000+ mile road trip. And, I didn't want to go on a road trip with almost minimum thickness pads, so I picked them up at autozone and replaced them a day before the road trip.
Old 10-13-11, 01:59 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

The rotors on my RX have been machined at least twice from my recollection. The problem with warping was worse in Mexico City (high altitude/less oxygen), but being at sea level and they have been just fine since I left. No issues.

This was a video I did of resurfacing my rears done over 4 years ago (last time I did them).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXGlH2Us200

Last edited by Lexmex; 10-13-11 at 02:02 PM. Reason: allowed for embedded content
Old 10-13-11, 06:40 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

In my neck of the woods, the labor for machining the rotors is pretty much the same as new rotors!
Old 10-14-11, 03:15 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by sktn77a
In my neck of the woods, the labor for machining the rotors is pretty much the same as new rotors!
I lived in Raleigh for 5 years. It wasn't that way there. I realize many from Chapel Hill prefer not to consider Raleigh as "Your neck of the woods"
Old 10-17-11, 03:15 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

It look's like I'm just going to replace the rotors, and do the pads while I'm in there anyways. Because, I have a road trip coming up next month which is about 3800 miles, and I'd rather go without warped rotors. LOL

I'm not sure if AutoZone will honor the warranty on the pads though, because there is still about 10k miles of life left in them... < What do you guys think? Will they honor it? I think they should, because hopefully they will understand that I don't want to do the same work twice within' a matter of months.
Old 10-17-11, 04:29 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

They have always taken my pads back no questions asked, even when they had tons of pad left to go. Just hit them with a grinder if you need to "wear" them down a little to be safe.
Old 10-17-11, 05:25 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by carguy07
They have always taken my pads back no questions asked, even when they had tons of pad left to go. Just hit them with a grinder if you need to "wear" them down a little to be safe.
Ok, sounds good! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Resurfacing Rotors?