RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

1999 RX300 Wireless Key not fully functional

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-11, 07:06 AM
Avogel
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1999 RX300 Wireless Key not fully functional

Something happen to my key when or after I got out my RX. All wireless functions work except the wireless LOCK. As I got out my RX with packages, key in hand, I must have press something on the key, brake pedel, or other. A long beep sounded after I was standing outside the vehicle. I may have accidently been pressing the LOCK button, it was all quick and surprising. I disconnected the vehicle battery for a few seconds, reconnected, and same issue.

I found my second master key and it works everything, including the wireless LOCK, functions. So the vehicle is OK, it must be my main master key.

Please any suggestions on recovering all the function on my main key.

Thanks

PS Lexus replaced the key battery about a year ago.

Last edited by Avogel; 09-26-11 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Forgot a fact.
Old 09-25-11, 09:45 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

There are so many possibilities and the best diagnosis can be done if you state your problem without adding your hypothesis/diagnosis. So try to state the problem(s) and not try to diagnose it in the same paragraph.

Based on your post here are some possibilities:

1. Self lock out feature. When parked in a public space, if some one else uses the remote key for their car; the frequencies match but not the code; RX will get into lock-out mode and your remote receiver will shutdown. You will be required to use the key to unlock. This is NORMAL and expected. With the popularity of Lexus, this can happen quite frequently .. specially if you see one parked near you.

2. Intermittent lock actuator. This has been discusses and search will help you. Usually you can tell that is the case when only one door fails to lock/-unlock.

3. Key transmitter battery is on the fritz or the buttons have lint. Check the intensity of the red led. Open and clean the shell.

4, Key programming is on the fritz. This should be the last step ... reprogram the key.

Salim
Old 09-26-11, 08:16 AM
Avogel
Driver School Candidate

My RX was in my garage, no other cars around for hundreds of feet. Key battery changed about two years ago by Lexus, and all other buttons on the key work. When LOCK button is pressed, no doors are actuated and no clicking sound is heard, nor any lights blink. Will try your suggestions.
Thanks

terry
Old 09-26-11, 10:33 AM
Avogel
Driver School Candidate

Default Update: Checked Key

Dismantled the key and cleaned with IT air spray. Nothing unusual noted. Assembled the key and tested. Same results however I noticed a red blinking light this time. It blinked for UNLOCK, and heard the locks click, and for PANIC, hear that too!

So I guess the only thing left is to reprogram this master with my backup.
Old 10-20-11, 12:36 AM
NyCrAzY
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same exact issue! I don't know what's going on, it's frustrating.
Old 10-25-11, 02:43 PM
Avogel
Driver School Candidate

I plan to try and reprogram the key. Haven't done it yet partially because of time, partially chicken. And kind of waiting for any other comments.
Old 10-25-11, 08:54 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I know if a door isn't completely latched, there will be a long beep when you press the lock button, but it doesn't sound like that's your issue if the other key works.
Old 10-26-11, 05:04 AM
kidlex93
Rookie

I've had this problem for about 3 months and finally fixed it last night. I guess the contact for the Lock button fell off the circuit board. I stripped the key down to the point where it was just the remote unit no plastic key part. You have to pry the black rubber seal between gray plastic and rubber where the buttons are held in place. I used a thin flat head but i guess a thin blade would work. Pry it up and it'll be glued in. Once you remove the rubber piece, look where the Off button should be. Mine wasnt making contact and was at an angle. Once i realigned it, it worked like a charm. I would take pictures but i glued my key shut. sorry. Hope this helps!
Old 10-26-11, 05:28 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by kidlex93
I've had this problem for about 3 months and finally fixed it last night. I guess the contact for the Lock button fell off the circuit board. I stripped the key down to the point where it was just the remote unit no plastic key part. You have to pry the black rubber seal between gray plastic and rubber where the buttons are held in place. I used a thin flat head but i guess a thin blade would work. Pry it up and it'll be glued in. Once you remove the rubber piece, look where the Off button should be. Mine wasnt making contact and was at an angle. Once i realigned it, it worked like a charm. I would take pictures but i glued my key shut. sorry. Hope this helps!
x2, do this. I did a few years ago, and it fixed my problem. The lock button was unresponsive unless you practically jumped on it. After cleaning the contacts, it worked perfect!
Old 10-26-11, 06:06 PM
kidlex93
Rookie

sorry to hijack this thread but now my key is starting to have a problem. After I fixed the lock button i thought all was fine and good. However now my key wont start the car just keeps cranking it. I'm not sure if its the car it self (it worked perfectly fine yesterday) or if its the key. My key is not in the best condition (i'll post a picture next), however it worked yesterday. I dont know if i somehow destroyed the chip or the key just isn't making contact anymore with the receiver. When I put it into the ignition the security light keeps blinking. Also it still locks and unlocks perfectly fine. I know you guys probably need more detail but can anyone throw some ideas to what the problem may be? Thanks!
Old 10-27-11, 03:35 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

As soon as you put the key in the ignition the security light should stop blinking... Try disconnecting the car's battery. Do you have another key, to try starting the car with? It doesn't have to have a remote, the wallet key will not work though.
Old 10-27-11, 07:32 AM
kidlex93
Rookie

Unfortunately that was the only key I had. I thought you needed the key with the remote in order to start the car. Anyone know how much a brand new key that's cut would cost at Lexus and if I can program it without the master key?
Old 11-02-11, 06:35 AM
Avogel
Driver School Candidate

Kidlex93 had the right solution to my issue. The circuit board micro switch became missaligned with the external flexible button. KUDOS to Kidlex93. Opened the key as described in Kidlex93's comments and on the circuit board, I carefully moved the LOCK microbutton down a fraction of a mm (note red arrow on attached picture for microbutton location and direction I moved it). Then I touched the LOCK microbutton and the LED blinked. SUCCESS! Reassembled without sealent and tested on my Lex RX300 99, it worked! How sweet it is! THANKS Kidlex93.

Now all I have to do is change out the driver side electo lock for the door. rats.
Attached Thumbnails 1999 RX300 Wireless Key not fully functional-capture.jpg   1999 RX300 Wireless Key not fully functional-img_3577.jpg   1999 RX300 Wireless Key not fully functional-img_3574.jpg