RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Is right rear tone ring the most likely to break?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-11, 08:18 PM
MASSMINI
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is right rear tone ring the most likely to break?

Getting ready to chase down why my ABS is kicking in on dry pavement... From what I've read here and elsewhere it seems like the rear tone rings are more likely to break than the front. And it seems like possible right rear is more likely than left rear. Can anyone verify this?
Old 09-19-11, 07:34 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by MASSMINI
Getting ready to chase down why my ABS is kicking in on dry pavement... From what I've read here and elsewhere it seems like the rear tone rings are more likely to break than the front. And it seems like possible right rear is more likely than left rear. Can anyone verify this?
I don't know about that with one being more likely to break than another. Generally, I have found that things on the front wear out more than on the back in terms of tires/brakes due to more weight up there and more so with front left (being driver's weight). However, once I get some parts in from Amazon I plan to work on my right front tire/brake area (and also examine a few things on each and every tire/brake area) and on eof those will be the rings. I get a clicking on my front right that I though was a brake related issue, but turns out that the axle may need some lubing.
Old 09-19-11, 11:56 AM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

My left rear tone ring went a couple of years ago.
Old 09-23-11, 04:29 PM
Shed
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it true that if one breaks you would get an error code? That's what I was told by the Lexus dealer service dept I took my car to a couple of weeks ago regarding the the pulsating feeling coming from the car when breaking. I told him that from my research it seemed like either it could be the rotors or a broken tone ring. He came back and said the only way to fix it would be to do all the rotors/brakes but that would be doing it 15,000 miles before it was due. Huh? I just got the feeling he didn't like being told what may be wrong by a woman. I have a couple of other issues but I will start another thread as I don't want this one to get off topic.
Old 09-23-11, 05:10 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Broken tone ring does not normally throw a code, just gives the ABS incorrect info and tells it to modulate the brakes. You can always disconnect the ABS to try a few stops and see if that makes it stop happening. Check with Lexmex or search, but I think he was just disconnecting the harness in the engine compartment to disable it.
Old 09-23-11, 06:55 PM
Shed
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't think it threw a code from what I recalled from this site but didn't want to dispute him until I was sure. Plus I just felt like I was getting no where. When he said to fix it I had to do a total brake service but I shouldn't have to for another 15,000 it struck me as not them not really addressing the issue and giving an easy answer.
Old 09-23-11, 07:09 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Mine did not throw a code
Old 10-01-11, 07:41 PM
MASSMINI
Pit Crew

Does the ABS actuator itself make alot of noise ? When my ABS kicks in (suspected broken tone ring) all the noise and commotion seems to come from the front right where the ABs actuator is. I'm wondering if there always noise front right from the asbs... or does the noise come from the corner that is pulsing?
Old 10-01-11, 08:06 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by MASSMINI
Does the ABS actuator itself make alot of noise ? When my ABS kicks in (suspected broken tone ring) all the noise and commotion seems to come from the front right where the ABs actuator is. I'm wondering if there always noise front right from the asbs... or does the noise come from the corner that is pulsing?
Yes you are hearing the actuator up front, nothing much to hear at the corner that is pulsing.
Old 10-02-11, 04:53 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I hear a "clunking" when braking extremely hard (ie. emergency stops because if some idiot). The "clunk" sounds like this.... clunk....(1 sec pause)....clunk....(1 sec pause)......clunk........ etc.

The first time I heard the clunk was this July when I was in Chicago and had to brake hard cause the light turned red and there was a cop right there. After that, I've heard it about 3-4 times (in total since July). So, I'm thinking it's not the ABS, it's just the poor rotors and brake pads I have on now.

I know what ABS sounds like, and this doesn't sound like it. But, I could be wrong...

I know my rotors are warped, they are pretty bad. The brake pads need to be replaced within' 10k miles as well. I'm holding off now till around june (2012). Which is a long time.

Do you think the cause of my noise is due to ABS or the warped rotors creating too much shaking for the caliper which might have stuck sliding pins?

EDIT: forgot to mention, the ABS light doesn't come on when the noise occurs (but the light does work)

Last edited by hypervish; 10-02-11 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-02-11, 06:09 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

My 1st RX was an 03 model as the 2nd GEN 04's were coming out. From about 15000 miles I was having constant rotor problems front and rear. I know the OEM parts were as good as it gets. The problem was during an early tire rotation someone incorrectly torqued the lugs.

As all my service was at Lexus stores, Lexus eventually after two turnings replaced the rotors. Two months later I got my RX 450h.

The 03 was bullet proof other than that. And my (h) is my best Lexus ride yet.
Originally Posted by hypervish
I hear a "clunking" when braking extremely hard (ie. emergency stops because if some idiot). The "clunk" sounds like this.... clunk....(1 sec pause)....clunk....(1 sec pause)......clunk........ etc.

The first time I heard the clunk was this July when I was in Chicago and had to brake hard cause the light turned red and there was a cop right there. After that, I've heard it about 3-4 times (in total since July). So, I'm thinking it's not the ABS, it's just the poor rotors and brake pads I have on now.

I know what ABS sounds like, and this doesn't sound like it. But, I could be wrong...

I know my rotors are warped, they are pretty bad. The brake pads need to be replaced within' 10k miles as well. I'm holding off now till around june (2012). Which is a long time.

Do you think the cause of my noise is due to ABS or the warped rotors creating too much shaking for the caliper which might have stuck sliding pins?
Old 10-04-11, 07:28 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts
Default Location of ABS relay

Massmini, Here's the location of the ABS relay .
Attached Thumbnails Is right rear tone ring the most likely to break?-abs.jpg  
Old 01-01-12, 09:23 AM
MASSMINI
Pit Crew

Is a rear axle easier to remove with the strut out? I'm need to replace the rear struts and fix a tone ring and I'd like to understand if there's any benefit to combining the two projects.