RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

This can't be right, can it? - Towing

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-06, 04:58 AM
ravengotu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default online

HI guys...i got this at lexus parts online..When you go you will see these at about 3 diffrent Lexus online stores. They will come under body electrical. I will let you know how the install goes as it is on its way. Will be here next week ..so memorial day weekend i will put it in..Thanks for all your help and suggestions price was 84.70 plus shipping..I think, Could have been free ship

Last edited by ravengotu; 05-19-06 at 09:11 PM. Reason: forgot to put price
Old 05-19-06, 06:10 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AgSport
Here's something new...
Got this from Kelley Blue Book.com

Lexus Accessory Package, model TO-Towing Package • 2WD cost: $128.00, retail: $160.00
(Std. 4WD Model) (Req's Hitch-model DH) Includes Larger Radiator & Transmission Cooler.

I read that as to say the "Towing Prep-package" is standard on the 4WD model and is optional on the 2WD model. Further, that also means all the 4WD models already have a larger radiator + a trans. cooler. That makes sense since the engine needs to work harder all the time (i.e. more load on engine & trans, etc). + if you go off-road (to use the 4WD), again generally, there is even more load on the engine, and requires additional cooling.
I don't think KBB is accurate. There is no "larger radiator." It's a separate small radiator/cooler on the passenger side. KBB also failed to mention the heavy duty alternator upgrade that comes with the factory tow prep package.

At $128 (or $160,) it probably comes with just the tow bar and wiring. Not sure about the controller module. I do think the $1,200 price quoted was a rip-off.
Old 05-19-06, 10:21 AM
lexusrx300
Driver School Candidate

Just checked in the black box under the spare tire well (under car) and I saw no connections... Two wires plugged into something but no empty plugs. I guess this means I don't have the towing pkg? If I just use a normal harness and splice the wires then will it really set off the "blown bulb" indicator? What is the way around this... Thanks I read the whole thread but there seems to be a lot of contradiction.
Old 05-26-06, 08:02 AM
jprice
Driver School Candidate

Default wiring

My next door neighbor and I BOTH hooked up hitches and wiring this week:

Mine:
2002 Rx
AWD
I installed a Hidden Hitch brand. As for the wiring, I removed the black box under the gas tank and there was the plug. I also looked in the wheel well under the rear floor and found the converter was already there (looked factory installed). All I had to do was get the $36 plug in harness from Toyota and a 20 amp fuse to get it rolling

My neighbor's intall:
2001 Rx
AWD
EXACT SAME! Sweet.

*The thing that irked me before doing some research was that I went to Lexus parts and told them what model I had and they kept trying to sell me a $240 converter + cable. They claimed I couldn't buy just the plug from them...BS! So went to the Toyota dealer, spent another 1/2 hour and got the plug that is speced for the highlander.

Jamie
Old 05-26-06, 07:20 PM
robin640
Driver School Candidate

Jamie,
Do you happen to have the part number for the harness you purchased at the Toyota Dealer?

My RX300 is a 2001 AWD and Lexus wants $180 for the module and harness.

Thanks,
-Ron
Old 05-26-06, 07:32 PM
robin640
Driver School Candidate

Does this look like the same harness you just installed? Will this harness work for my AWD 2001 RX300?

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/me...Category_Code=

Thanks,
-Ron
Old 05-27-06, 09:15 AM
ravengotu
Rookie

Default Where is the fuse

Can someone tell me where the fuse is? I took my poor baby all apart for my wiring harness...i found two pigtails coming off my lights in left hand side rear section but couln not find anything that looked familiar to the pics posted from lexus installed harness. So i think im off to lexus for my 199.00 harness..Thanks
Old 05-29-06, 03:30 PM
ravengotu
Rookie

Default took it apart

I recieved the part from the online parts store and it has no plug. Took apart the left side rear panels and it took about 2 hours...then i found two diffrent plugs that piggyback off into the rear lights. Well im going to have to get mine from the Lexus dealer and get the instructions.......I hope this will work...as for the power to feed these i dont see a seperate power supply. Any body got some suggestions...Please advise.. thanks
Old 05-30-06, 09:09 AM
jprice
Driver School Candidate

Robin640 -

Yes, that looks exactly what I paid $36 at Toyota for. Open your hatch, pull out the spare tire cover and look to the left of the tire (almost touching it) do you see a little blue/white box about 2-3" square with a bundle of wires? If so, that is the converter. Take off your square cover under the vehicle and plug in your $13 harness, pop the hood, put in the 20 amp fuse in the top left empty slot (see your sticker in the fuse cover for location) and you should be good.

jamie
Old 05-30-06, 04:45 PM
ravengotu
Rookie

Default dont see that

Hi and thanks. I only see two diffrent connectors with brown an green wires, around 10 in each one, so i dont think i have it. Well will let the dealer have a look see.......thanks
Old 05-30-06, 07:06 PM
robin640
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jprice
Robin640 -

Yes, that looks exactly what I paid $36 at Toyota for. Open your hatch, pull out the spare tire cover and look to the left of the tire (almost touching it) do you see a little blue/white box about 2-3" square with a bundle of wires? If so, that is the converter. Take off your square cover under the vehicle and plug in your $13 harness, pop the hood, put in the 20 amp fuse in the top left empty slot (see your sticker in the fuse cover for location) and you should be good.

jamie

Yes, the 2-3" little blue box is exactly where you said it would be. Tomorrow I will order the $13 wire harness from the web. I will update this thread when I complete install.

Thanks,
-Ron
Old 06-03-06, 08:52 AM
lexusrx300
Driver School Candidate

If anybody with a 99 that didn't come pre wired could explain their harness installation I would appreciate it. Is it true as someone said that we cannot simply splice the rear tail light wires because of the "bulb burnt out" indicator?
Old 06-12-06, 01:05 PM
jprice
Driver School Candidate

robin - did you get your hitch wiring figured out?

jamie
Old 06-18-06, 04:17 PM
robin640
Driver School Candidate

Default 2001 w/tow package harness finally installed:)

Yes, I installed the wire harness in about 1/2 hour. Installed the 20 amp fuse under the hood. You will need to turn the ignition to see both the parking and brake lights work on your trailer.

Thank you for everyone's help,

-Ron
Old 07-01-06, 12:18 AM
lexusrx300
Driver School Candidate

Can anyone verify the easiest wiring method (that won't set off bulb indicatoprs) for a 99 hitch that isn't pre wired?

Quick Reply: This can't be right, can it? - Towing