RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

My impressions regarding the RX 300

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-02, 09:17 AM
kutscher
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My impressions regarding the RX 300

I have done some searching, through various automotive sites as well as through this board. If I remove wwest's comments, I then was unable to find a bad comment regarding the rx. Every year seemed to produce very happy owners, I could not find one place where someone said not to purchase an RX, or that they wished they had not purchased an rx. Now I am sure someone will produce this for me now, but even then there are so many positive remarks, a few negative ones are bound to occur. On the other hand almost everyone I mentioned the Chrysler minivan to had bad remarks, thats all I need to say since this is a Lexus board.

Individual Findings:

Reliability and dependability was marked as very high among the surveys I read as was owner satisfaction.

Looks were rated much better than the MB and other SUV like vehicles.

The rx is not an SUV like a blazer or hummer, but who off roads in their 40K+ SUV, and that is not the plan for my purchasing of an RX.

Cargo room, to my surprise, was comparable to my wives current Grand Cherokee, but with much better MPG.

My wife is now convinced she wants one, but finding the correct rx is the challenge and deciding on the year. I have recommended a -01 or newer, but then why not buy new, due to current interest rates. She wants a 1999, to try to save money for a hot tub, lake house etc... So I guess I will have to agree.

Unanswered Questions:

The Lexus site mentions gray interior, I have been unable to find an RX with this interior. What exterior colors was this interior available with?
Under the hood items and other mechanical items to inspect for problems before the purchase if not at a Lexus dealer?

Thanks for the help. I think we will be as satisfied as I am with my GS4.
Old 09-24-02, 09:40 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

kutscher,

The RX 300 is a great vehicle. We all have our preferences and almost everyone has some issue with their vehicle, regardless of make.

Make sure you have access to the service records of the RX you purchase, particularly regarding oil changes. If you can find one still under warranty (48K or less), you'll have time to thoroughly troubleshoot any issues you may encounter. Lexus will fix/repair for free. Good luck.

Some of the issues discussed here in re 99 RX 300:

- Possible oil gelling/sludge
- Moonroof popping noises
- Moonroof wind buffeting sound
- Roof bars whistling
- Front Strut or suspension support noise
- Glovebox rattle
- Center Cup Holder, Broken/Damaged
- Rear Hatch, opening performance
- Various squeaks and rattles

Any 99 or 00 owners have info on the gray leather?
Old 09-24-02, 09:52 AM
kutscher
Lead Lap

Default Thanks

I had read about the oil sludging on the board here and on the lexus page. I am still thinking about this problem. What year does this not occur. 2001+ if I remember right.
The other problems are more cosmetic. My wife does not seem to care. we have driven a few 99 witout these noises. I am particular about noises and can not stand them but she does not hear them.? I will tell her those other concerns, I must have overlooked them on my search.
Thanks

Last edited by kutscher; 09-24-02 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-24-02, 10:36 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

The oil gelling problem is in the V6 engine that's in the RX, ES and Camry. This engine predated the RX 300, so all RX's are supposedly susceptible. With proper maintenance, there is no issue. I bought my RX with full awareness of this issue.

Lexus has extended the engine warranty to 8 years, so you're covered if there's a problem. Avoid the problem by examining the service records of your prospective purchase.
Old 09-24-02, 10:56 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

We have a 99 with 48k miles, purchased new 9/98. Front struts were replaced with strut tower braces under the TSB. There have been no other problems per se. Replaced Goodyears with Michelin CrossTerrains at about 26k, tremendous improvement.

Gelling is basically a nonissue with the 8 yr warranty.

Gray or black interiors were not available in 99 or 00 model years.
Old 09-24-02, 12:27 PM
kutscher
Lead Lap

Thanks.

So the cross terrains are the way to go. Increase the size to 235/70/16 also?

No gray interior in 99-00 this may convince her to buy a 2001
Old 09-24-02, 01:05 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open forum

I would ask you to please ignore Paddy's attempt to censure me for comparing the T&C and the Lexus. The administration says this is an open forum and I tend to believe them before paddy.

I don't mean to say a thread completely focussing on a non-lexus vehicle would be acceptable, but comparisons of the AWD T&C agains any mid-range SUV, is just as valid for discussion as are RX vs ML, RX vs X5, etc.

Somewhere I am quite sure I have seen a letter, press release, from Toyota which states that the oil gelling problem is related to a running design change within the V6 engine internal structure, and I seem to remember the 4 cyl was also subject to the same problem.

I have no doubt that the "onset" of the gelling problem can be delayed, perhaps indefinitely, with the factory recommendation of regular oil changes eevry 7500 miles and with the use of a better, top notch, grade of oil, such as Mobil 1.

IMMHO the T/L press release was very carefully crafted, worded, such that it made no implication, pro or con, that the gelling problem was the result of a lack of maintenance.

Think about this, had Lexus pointed the finger at lack of proper maintenance as the culprit, and then long term loyal Lexus customers like myself and mooretorque, who both recognize the need for a good preventative maintenance procedure and religiously follow the factory recommedations, came up with engien oil gelling problems anyway, now that would be a PR nightmare.

That's not the story you're going to hear from the dealers, especially Lexus.

These are hard economic times for us all, but especially so for Lexus dealers, with a single marque, an extremely relaible one at that, to rely on for service revenue.

Again, if you decide to buy an RX, there are several reasons why you might want to focus on an 01 or better, HID, VSC, etc. I think most any dealer could advise you of which 01 vin numbers have the latest engine design eliminating the oil gelling problem.

And now a story.

I was going to trade in my 92 LS for a year 2000 LS. My Lexus salesman of over ten years advised against that. He felt that I would really want the upcoming LS430, and an LS purchase just before teh new model introduction would not be adviseable, I would take a serious hit trading an 00 LS for an 01 LS.

He sold me a GS300 as an interim measure, the GS wasn't due for a "freshening" for a few more years and thus would retain more of it's purchase value.

The 04 RX version, to be introduced next spring, will very likely be as significantly changed as the 00 LS vs the LS430. Severely depressing the market value of even the new 03 models.

You probably already see, have jumped forward, to my point. A 99 RX has already declined in market value to a level such that the intrduction of the 04 model will have little impact. Or you can wander completely afield and try a used X5 (pick a brand) out for the next six months, and then come back to the RX. I understand the ML is also due for a freshening for 04, so I wouldn't go there.
Old 09-24-02, 01:16 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default JGC

kutscher,

This one will very likely get me in really big trouble with Paddy, but if your wife has been bombing around in the northern reaches in a JGC, you really do want to take a good long hard look at other alternatives before you put her at risk in an RX.

I do not like the JGC, it's bulkly on the outside and smallish (cramped) on the inside. But there is no doubt that it has one of the very best AWd/4WD systems on the planet. The Jeep is in reality the basis of most of my dislike for the RX being marketed as an SUV, the same venue as the JGC, it simply doesn't belong there, it isn't in that class.

Now the RX is a very classy vehicle, and very relaible to boot, it is an absolutely great showpiece around town. But it is not something I would allow my wife to drive over the pass alone in the wintertime, I love and cherish her way to much to take that level of risk.
Old 09-24-02, 01:21 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

235's are reported here to fit all around without rubbing, and they fit in the spare tire well, if you are inclined to purchase a fifth.

Now go forth and become a 2 Lexus family...
Old 09-24-02, 01:35 PM
Shonuff
Pole Position

grey interiors were available in the siver and black 99-00. i have seen quite a few at the lexus dealer in san antonio.

simple search on ebay provides plenty of examples of silver and black exteriors with grey leather interiors. here are two examples for you.....one silver one grey:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1863254710

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1860287528

hope that helps.

Last edited by Shonuff; 09-24-02 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-24-02, 02:13 PM
kutscher
Lead Lap

We will probably wait until spring now. And see how things are going.

i am also a maintanence junky, and do constant service as recommended. So hopefully we find one that was taken care of the same.

Everybody else... thanks for the information.

a 2 lexus family here we come

Old 09-24-02, 03:50 PM
Handogen
Driver

mooretorque, I actually have a 99 Black RX with grey interior... very nice, I might add. I wouldn't have it any other way

I originally wanted the tan interior, but wouldn't trade what I have now for it. . .

Best of luck to you,
Hando
Old 09-24-02, 04:21 PM
crazyfool
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by mooretorque

Gray or black interiors were not available in 99 or 00 model years.
I would have to disagree with the above statement, as my '99 Twilight Blue RX has gray interior. I think these 2 color combinations are awesome, and really stand out!
Old 09-25-02, 12:57 AM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

My Silver 99 I purchased Friday has the grey leather interior.
Old 09-25-02, 09:50 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

kutscher:

Here are your best bet to get a pre-owned RX

1. Distress sale.
2. Unsatisfied previous owner.

Salim

Quick Reply: My impressions regarding the RX 300