RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Exhaust Sounds

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-02, 04:52 PM
white01
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Sounds

I just put exhaust on the white 01 and have a couple of questions. I know you guys say the TRD's are throaty sounding in character...any of you guys have parking garage assessments on noise levels. When I go through the garage at work I can set off car alarms if I want to. This Exhaust/muffler is manufactured by a subsidiary of flowmaster, who's parent company is Arvin Mentor, who manufactures exhaust for Harley Davidson and Toyota, and distibutes - products such as "Cherry Bomb" mufflers among others brands - ya follow me?

I want to hear my exhuast but I dont want to HEAR it. if you follow me. Detectable but not scare children and run for cover loud. Anyway, I'm still getting used to it, I am an enthusiast at heart but I'm a little beyond boy racer at this stage.I'm more into refinement - but I still look for decent performance in what I drive.
Let me clarify what "Boy Racer" means to me. A Zillion Stickers, Metal Shop wing with enough lift to launch the Space Shuttle in a conventional takeoff on a runway, megaphone/coffee can exhaust sticking out about foot from the rear valance - I can go on and on.

Back to my initial question how lound is your exhaust not just the folks with RMM & TRD, but form those with Raven, Supersprints, and whatever else you got out there - let me hear the feedback.

Personally- I like the deep burble, especially on start up, the acceleration is a bit improved RPM's rise in direct relationship to the pickup of the car. No all revs and no go. When I do the intake thing I'll be running pretty strong. My car ran strong from the get, so anything additional is a bonus.
Old 09-21-02, 12:42 AM
shmelvin
Driver School Candidate

Default muffler decibels

I had a turbo muffler from Mineke installed, leaving the big center muffler in place. It's a little smaller with a really nice SS tip, gives a very low deep rummble at Idle just a bit louder than factory and growels under its breath when accelerating. Just purrrfect. Those cat backs are just to loud for this soccer mom car.
Now the cat back Borla on my Porsche is another story all together.
Old 09-23-02, 11:39 AM
white01
Driver

Thanks for replying. Meineke installed mine as well. How's the interior noise level? Below 80mph is tolerable - above that it's a steady drone. With good throttle modulation one can control the noise level. I came very close to going with a larger down pipe - I'm quite glad I didn't. I'm seeking to get a comparison of those who have TRD or RMM Exhuasts - to garner how much noise they emit. If it's lower I might consider ordering

Personally the sound and the response is improved overall especially on idle and acceleration. It's the interior noise level that concerns me. At resale time I'm sure I will have to retrofit the factory muffler.